New Zealand NZ Predictions & Observations 2017

Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by ScottGN, May 18, 2017.

1. soza

soza One of Us

Hutt are extending until the end of October.....only quad chair and terrain parks open for a spring freestyle deal of $180... Includes sone coaching each day. Was tempted but not really a park rider.....just happy to know the road will be open to go up and hike some runs.

2. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Terrible season for Southern Lakes, now is the time for afterwork touring at CP!

essjaywhy likes this.
  3. Centago

Centago Addicted

Having observed much of the season from afar, I think the Queenstown ski areas coped pretty well with the lack of precip this season. Shows the value of their snowmaking systems - particularly at Coronet Peak, although bugger all people seem to go there anymore. Thankfully no significant warm and wet events came through during July/August to wash away the snow they had. The impression I get from friends was that it was a shocker season for weekend warriors, most of the settled weather was mid-week. The overall lack of snow during the season seems to be showing through now, with a rapid loss of snowpack around Qtown (based off webcams anyway). That said, you don't have to travel too far to find heaps of snow - still looks loaded around Whare Kea.

4. col

col One of Us

Went to Mt. Hutt for closing day on 15/10/17. So much snow left with epic groomers late into the arvo. Pity they are closing because they could easily go 1 more month.

5. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

They were offering Park passes for 2 weeks for like 250 bucks, only needed to sell like 300 to make it happen too. there is training for Olympic athletes up there for atleast the next two weeks, would imagine the same at cardrona.

6. Centago

Centago Addicted

Current dry spell has reached 24 days in Queenstown. Longest since 2014. Rain forecast overnight Friday/Sat morn so dry spell likely to end at 26 days, which would be 10th-equal longest dry spell on record there.

Should be a warm one for inland Otago and Mackenzie Basin today and tomorrow, with temps reaching mid-high 20s. Could well be near-record high temps for October observed in these parts. I think absolute records are under threat in Wanaka (current Oct record 26.5C), Twizel (current record 26.8C) and Tekapo (current record 26.1C).

7. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

8. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

20cm of nice snow up Remarks today. Plenty more coming.

POW_hungry likes this.
  9. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Old n' Crusty Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Tomorrow night is the money shot.
    Should be enough to picket line at the Remarks road and get 'em to open the odd lift for the weekend, I reckon.

Froff Life likes this.
  10. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Metservice is now forecasting the snow level to lower to about 300m asl from Mackenzie southwards. The northern motorway in Dunedin may get about 10cms overnight tonight. Milford Road has already closed in anticipation of heavy snow at the summit. Crazy stuff.

Froff Life and essjaywhy like this.
  11. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Put some frost cloth over the spuds tonight with a bit of timber supporting it, just incase it does snow a bit down here. Bloody glad i havent planted out a lot of summer stuff yet, might lose some more corn seedlings though!

ScottGN likes this.
  12. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I haven't put much out in the garden yet either Draizuh, mostly due to being away rather than any clever planning. I took a punt that the spuds will be fine and luckily there aren't any frosts in the forecast (yet). Snow last night looks to have settled to about 400m.

POW_hungry likes this.
  13. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Addicted

Plenty of snow last night following the 20 or so cm on the wknd

Claude Cat, Froff Life and POW_hungry like this.
  14. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

[​IMG]
    View from mine this morning. we had about 15-20cm of very very heavy snow. Caved in the roof of my garden shed and snapped a few branches on my trees. Potatoes look like they will survive, even the corn looks ok!