1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

NZ resorts

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dan72, Jul 21, 2017.

1. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

Chasing some advice from those in the know :)

Im in Canterbury/Otago for 2 weeks starting August 1.

Out of these mountains, Roundhill, Mt Dobson, Ohau, Mt Lyford, how long do you expect fresh lines to last after say a 10-20cm dump. Happy to hike in bound ridges, if needed to get better lines, but mainly riding solo so wont be heading BC.

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, but was just wondering where the locals and knowledgeable head, a day or 2 after a storm.

2. MidLifeMadman

MidLifeMadman Hard Yards

Dobson and Ohau would be excellent after 20-30cm overnight. Fields are also unpopulated midweek.

Done Ohau on a Powder day, 30 people at 9am ready to go.

Done Dobson when only field open, 15 cars in car park. 25 on mountain at 10am.

That would be my recommendation.

Haven't been to Lyford.

3. windy

windy Hard Yards

Has anyone had any experience with Fox Peak? It's located near Dobson so I assume it would have done well out of this lot of recent snow.

4. pedub

pedub One of Us

I went up to Ohau the day after their (quote) Biggest Night Of The Season last year at the lodge
    You can ski fresh lines all day :)
    Early afternoon that day:
    [​IMG]

Dumph, ScottGN and windy like this.
  5. soza

soza One of Us

Im looking to check it out at some point the next few weeks, only open on weekends but if its any good i might look to join up next season as its on the door step for me. Recent photos on facebook are showing great conditions.... And thats before this monster storm

6. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ridden there once. Very friendly, clubbie field, rope tows only.

On the eastern fringe of the Alps, so pretty exposed to the wind, a bit like Hutt. Slopes directly off the tows have good fall line, but are quite featureless & get very wind scoured. The side / back bowls are a different story, but you need to be self sufficient heading out there. Top tow when I was there traversed a vicious field of sastrugi, not very steep but hard work.

7. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

Thanks everyone for the great info.

I'm driving this motorhome around, I'm guessing it should be no problem driving up to Roundhill and Dobson, was told not to drive it Porters by them via email, said it wouldn't have the clearance , thoughts anyone ? Any other easy roads it can go up?

It has 165mms clearance supposedly.

Attached Files:

8. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

Would be surprised if you couldn't take it up porters it's one of the tamest roads around. Everyone takes campers up every ski field here so as long as your easy on the breaks and have chains sure you'll be fine.

dan72 likes this.
  9. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Bit of a pimped up van (lowered), but Porters should be fine.

dan72 likes this.
  10. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

NZ Resorts leaving their construction of new lift till the last minute. Surely very close to snow setting in in the land of the long white cloud? Images from the cams.

Bogong likes this.
  11. pedub

pedub One of Us

I believe they put this one on ice for the season. Found some lizards in the rocks!

Zimbooo likes this.
  12. Jacko4650

I recall that the lift that was put on ice was the bowl area only accessible by Cat (the Doolans??) - they are still building both the lifts in these piccies. Cables are being put on the Coronet Peak lift ATM. Found this press release: https://www.theremarkables.co.nz/news/new-chairlift/

13. pedub

pedub One of Us

Oh right, I mean't the Cardrona one. They have a press release saying its not going to happen this season...

14. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

Cardona would want to hurry up with their snow making. It's less than a week until opening day and the white stuff is looking pretty thin on the ground.

[​IMG]

15. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

You'd have to take your rock skis.

16. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Cardrona new (reburshed old McDougals lift ) in the "Pringles" area won't be complete or running this winter, however ski patrol will open that area (conditions allowing) for advanced skier/boarders. A traverse and walk will be required to get back to Valley View Quad.
    Remarkables new proposed lift for "Sugar Bowl" (replacing old slow lift with new alignment to base building) was put off this summer/autumn due to a approval discrepancy which they say has now been resolved so should go ahead for next year.
    The only new lift (that will run) in the Sthn Lakes is the replacement Coronet Express for this season.

17. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

[​IMG]
    Currently in the Main Basin at Cardrona.

Send! It! Down!

18. Jacko4650

What more fog?

19. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

I contacted Cardrona this morning. They are hoping to get enough snow between now and 1st June that they can open the learner area and beginner chairlift (I can only assume this is McDougall's, so maybe Skyline will be the run open back down). The rest of the mountain will be opening 15th June.