NZ ski fields for beginners to intermediate skiers

Type_R_Wannabe

First Runs
Feb 21, 2011
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can tell me which ski fields is more friendlier to beginners/intermediate skiers, North Island or Queenstown?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ScottGN

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
Actually Happy Valley at Whakapapa is probably the most extensive beginners area in New Zealand. Though it's true that snow quality can be marginal, especially early in the season.Other than that I reckon the learners area at Remarks is pretty good and under-utilized for the most part.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hard to beat Cardrona ESP if you need to place kids in child care. Cardi has extensive beginner & inter slopes, wide runs & good chairs. Oh and pretty reliable cover c/w other southern fields. Agree select areas on Coronet & Remarks are good too but I reckon Cardi is a tad better overall. better still go to a few of them

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Have to second vote for Cardrona. VG conditions for Beginners/ Inters with some tasty stuff for others as well, depending on conditions. Also consider Roundhill and Mt. Dobson if going South from Christchurch to QT. Go to NZ South Island. Best to stay in Wanaka for easy access to Cardrona. Flying out of QT is the way to go.

LWA

First Runs
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Cardrona has the best facilities for learners by far. Snow conditions and schools are a step above the others I feel.

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
There's a season pass for $A295 (adults, $A175 kids up to 18 iirc) at the Nth Island's Ruepeho/Whakapapa/Turoa (mid way between Wellington and Auckland) which can add (for a tad more?) Cardrona on as well.

Check out those mountain's webpages. Or google Endless Winter Resorts of the World Pass, with umpteen main and small ski fields to ski in NZ .... and then you can even ski Winter Park Colorado free or half price in Banff Lake Louise Canada.

LWA

First Runs
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thought forums are a place to express your personal opinions/share from your experience?

As I mentioned, I feel Cardrona has the best facilities. If you disagree with my opinion please let others know where you feel has the best learner facilities.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Darksidepoints

Hard Yards
Apr 21, 2009
Winter
Happy Valley is indeed good (though can be crowded) but after that there is a bit of a jump in difficultly, as the top of the rock garden has a few killer turns that you need to navigate, and the next easiest place requires T-Bar skills (The Waterfall).

If you can learn there though, you can ski/ride anywhere.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using