NZ Ski Insurance

lozzaGlenn

First Runs
Apr 21, 2015
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be boarding in NZ this winter and was wondering if I should get insurance or if any cover comes with buying a lift pass? I'm planning to base in Queenstown or Wanaka.

I've recently become a NZ Citizen if it makes any difference, my only other experience has been at European ski resorts where we could get away without having it if we had European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC).

Does anything like this exist in New Zealand?

Cheers!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

lozzaGlenn

First Runs
Apr 21, 2015
hi thanks for link,
so do most citizens not bother with insurance for the slopes?
cheers for your help

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013
hi thanks for link,
so do most citizens not bother with insurance for the slopes?
cheers for your help

It's very comprehensive insurance as I understand it. You'll need to look into it yourself, but it seems to do away with the myriad of insurances we deal with in Aus like workers comp, CTP and income protection.

craighelo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 26, 2012
Tarras
Never had it.
Broke my coccyx snowboarding a few years ago, went to the hospital, got pain prescription, filled in ACC form had 6 weeks off work at 80% pay rate :)
My broken leg and helicopter ride out was also nicely taken care of without any out of pocket expenses by ACC.

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
...Be prepared for terrible snow...

Don't sell it short!!!!! Occasionally - it's ON. About due for a big season too.:yum:

8025903589_7d357096e8_b.jpg

Reactions: soza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
Don't sell it short!!!!! Occasionally - it's ON. About due for a big season too.:yum:

8025903589_7d357096e8_b.jpg

Haha, trust me buddy i have had more experience riding terrible snow in this country more than most. The good days are defined by what i do and who im with not what the snow is like! Id much prefer the shit snow, keeps the retards are out of the backcountry. There is no such thing as shit snow only shit skiers etc

craighelo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 26, 2012
Tarras
So do you need travel insurance for an Aussie? Obviously to get home and lost gear, but not for medical/rescue?
Depends what you consider medical and rescue, You will be rescued from the mountains for free and public hospital fixed up for free, any other ongoing rehabilitation costs/treatments will only be free if you are staying in NZ to receive them

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
But your ongoing treatment and rehabilitation in Australia wouldn't be covered by travel insurance anyway as the cover ends upon your return to Australia. That's all covered by medicare or your private insurance or your wallet.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Locals have ACC and dont need insurance.

To insure yourself at least for mountain rescue and emergency medical you can join the http://aacuk.org.uk/
Which is worldwide cover
It was about $100 NZD for a year when I got it. Seems like a bargain for a holiday or for a season.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Didn't know it would cover visitors too
NZ must be place to go if you want to ride off piste/heli-ski etc and not worry about insurance. Most helicopters per capita in the world right?

Overseas I found most travel insurance policies exclude either 'off-piste' or 'outside commercial areas'

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
There are so many adventure activities here purely because of ACC. Rescue via a heli may cost money, but i imagine it wouldnt if you were injured in the ski area.

I broke my Coccyx out of bounds are remarkables on what is now Curvey basin, and it was covered and i was paid 80% of my wage while i was unable to work :)

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Anything accidental is covered (legal definition is any injury sustained through external force). How and where does not matter. SAR is covered too, though that's a slightly different arrangement, but covers the chopper yeah. The one thing that is not so well funded is our ambulance system, in some regions and circumstances patients may have to pay a small fee, on the order of tens of dollars.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Had to visit a GP in Wanaka a few years ago, cost about $140 NZ from memory so don't assume its a total free ride
Presumably for illness, rather than accident?

Yeah I had to do this once also (bad flu) and I got stung by the Wanaka doctors fees. Ridiculous.
Like one of the people posted above, ACC is for accidents only (injury due to an external force)

K@os

A Local
Aug 12, 2005
South Australia
Anything accidental is covered (legal definition is any injury sustained through external force). How and where does not matter. SAR is covered too, though that's a slightly different arrangement, but covers the chopper yeah. The one thing that is not so well funded is our ambulance system, in some regions and circumstances patients may have to pay a small fee, on the order of tens of dollars.
That's still far better than an AU Ambulance will cost you, even if you are a AU citizen

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
I think it was just a Wanaka thing. I am a NZ citizen and it still cost like $160. Think they added a weekend charge.
Its around $20 in Auckland

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Mate broke his arm last season, got stretchered down the mountain, then ambo to the hospital in QT, where he spent 5 or so hour. All covered by ACC, I think he paid $60NZ :thumbs:

Reactions: Draizuh

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
I think it was just a Wanaka thing. I am a NZ citizen and it still cost like $160. Think they added a weekend charge.
Its around $20 in Auckland

If you go to a GP you aren't enrolled for it will cost more, yeah, because they aren't funded for you.

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
^ about the only place in the world ...

ACC pros & cons,
it cultivates a lot of idiot behaviour ,
cos,
hey - Im not paying direct if it goes pearshaped

players think twice if they just paid a premium

[ ... If u like to Gamble .. ]

Remove ads with a