NZ Skiing

andrewg

First Runs
Jun 28, 2006
Melbourne
Given the (lack of) snow last year in Australia we've decided to spend our two week ski trip in NZ.

We've been to Queenstown twice before and loved it. We're thinking about trying a different ski town this time. Wanaka is pretty tempting.

I'm interested to know what others think of Wanaka compared with Queenstown (and Treble Cone/Cardrona compared to Coronet Peak/Remarkables).

Cheers, Andrew

PS. We'll still be doing our weekend trips to Falls/Hotham, subject to snow conditions.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I could give a standard response that you would find in many previous threads or you could say what in particular you loved about Qtn and what you are looking for and we would be able to give you an idea if Wanaka would suit you better or not.

Or as SB suggests if you have 2 weeks that is plenty of time to go to both and more. You don't even need a car. There is a bus that makes the short trip between them at least 5 times a day.

Go for a few days or a week to Wanaka and judge for yourself.

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
:insert 12th man comment here:

oh my gawd its nathan bracken in the forums!

:endrun comment:

Snow Addict

Part of the Furniture
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere
Personally, I think the skiing out of Wanaka (TC especially) craps all over the Queenstown resorts.

As SB says though, you can base yourself at Wanaka and still do CP/Remarks for a day.

Depends what kind of skiing you're after...

/standard comment :p

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
Wanaka is a bit smaller and quieter than Queenstown (although it has seen some huge development in the last few years).

Even though you have further to drive to Cardrona or TC compared to going to CP, I it's worth it.

If you've never skied TC before, and you catch it on a good day, you'll love it.

Cardrona is also good, but I'd always put TC at the top of the list, unless the weather/snow was much better at Cardrona.

hoppy

Hard Yards
Aug 7, 2002
Sydney (inner West)
I certainly prefer Treble Cone and Cardrona to and The Remarks - didn't bother with Concrete Peak as conditions weren't the best and was advised to avoid. And Wanaka is great - but is much quieter than Q'town. A car is the go - choose the mountain each morning depending on which way the wind blows!
:thumbs:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using