NZ South Island 13-15 August

Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by Old Navy, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Old Navy

Old Navy First Runs

Looks as though the South Island of NZ could be in for a hit next weekend IMO. A lot of moisture being fed into a frontal system which if the cold air combines with could result in a good fall of snow - IMO. Looks similar to the 12 June 06 event (refered to in the other NZ thread) but without quite the same intensity. At this stage I don't see snow to sea-level but potentially a good fall through the Canterbury High Country and to a lesser degree the southern fields.

Still a week out and this system has changed from day to day on the charts but there has been something consistently on these dates for a while now.

Apologies, I can't post charts from my work computer

2. GSea

GSea Hard Yards

Hi Old Navy, might be time to have a look at what's happening with your predictions.
    Seems to be a fair amount of cloud heading across the ditch.
    Do you think it will produce some good snowfalls or will it be a bit too warm,
    being a northerly feed ?

3. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Very very touch and go
    The 850 uppers look reasonable on LAPS which is good...so there should be snow above 2000m at times...below that there could be absolutely belting rain
    Over the past 10 days,this has gone from knee deep snow in Shotover Street to nothing and now a warm West Coast feed.
    There will be snow...but very wet and probably only the higher resorts IMO.
    Coronet base altitude is under threat I'd reckon

4. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Will be shortlived in the Southern Lakes, looking much worse for Canterbury.

The warm west coast feed was always there.

5. Old Navy

Old Navy First Runs

Looking pretty warm with high freezing levels IMO. Remain positive with the hope that as it is mid winter it should be snow. Think it is a long shot though. Hopefully it will slide north a little and not effect the canterbury fields too much. Fingers crossed for next week