NZ Travel insurance requied?

Scooter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hi Folks,

OK so the in-laws are going to NZ and were wondering if they needed travel insurance and my advice was tending towards no because I thought due to reciprocal arrangements with NZ and OZ if they had medical issues etc. they had access to care using OZ Medicare so the only thing the travel insurance was good for was basically covering the flights. Now as I have no idea if the Medicare thing is correct I thought I would ask the question:-

Travel insurance needed for NZ? Thoughts or experiences.

TIA :cheers:

Snow Addict

Part of the Furniture
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere
You're right about the reciprocal health care click

But travel insurance would also cover other things like lost/delayed luggage, car hire excess, (usually) spouse flights on medical repatriation.

I think it's worth it, for the cost.

btw - can your in-laws get cover with a credit card supplied policy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scooter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Thanks SA. They were going primarily for a wedding and maybe a week or so of travel whilst there so I guess I was looking at it from a cost of TI policy vs potential costs/hassle if minor things did go wrong assuming major stuff would be health related and thus OK. I guess however if they crashed the hire car and incured some huge liability that would be pretty major thus would warrant the TI. We did discuss cover on a CC supplied policy but thought was only on premium cards like gold cards etc. and didn't think it was applicable on normal cards.

Snow Addict

Part of the Furniture
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere
You're welcome.

To put it into perspective, a couple of weeks cost the missus and I $120 with defence health. I thought it was cheap in the scheme of things.

Insurance is usually only on gold cards (and above), but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Scoo Ter

Hard Yards
Oct 22, 2004
Geragai, Indonesia
ah ha! now I see who has snagged my prefered name.!!!!

:doh:

insurance is always good, especially if you actually need it. if you don't have it and you need it then that's a bad situation that you'll remember for lot longer - love to remember holidays for the good things not the bad.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass