NZ Travel Insurance

skibuff

First Runs
Aug 4, 2003
Ballarat
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can help me out with travel insurance for NZ.
What is the best way to go about getting insurance for snow trip to NZ, who is a good company to go with and what price would I be looking at?
Would this cover all aspects like ski/ snowboard, bungy jumping etc?

K@os

A Local
Aug 12, 2005
South Australia
I've used snowinsurance.com.au, although I have never claimed. They are underwritten by Allianz so should provide good cover. This only include on-piste ski but should cover most other activities.

If you want cover for off-piste, BC touring, Heli ski, etc then World Nomads have more comprehensive cover, though the higher levels of cover get exxy.

This year my travel agent matched the cost of insurance so I just went with them, but the snowinsurance.com.au quote was about $75 for 12 days cover

Darksidepoints

Hard Yards
Apr 21, 2009
Winter
What do you need it for, in case you loose your luggage?

If you hurt yourself, the ACC will pick up the bill. Even a helicopter to the hospital.

Australians are covered under their reciprocal medical care thing anyways, so if you are unwell and rock up to a hospital with your passport, you will be treated for free.

loweee

One of Us
Apr 21, 2002
Jindabyne
Darksidepoints said:

If you hurt yourself, the ACC will pick up the bill. Even a helicopter to the hospital.

Australians are covered under their reciprocal medical care thing anyways, so if you are unwell and rock up to a hospital with your passport, you will be treated for free.

rolleyes.gif

I would not follow this advice. A medivac will not always be covered. A broken leg and need to travel in Business class home wont be covered. Their are alot of reasons that travel insurance works and provided peice of mind for under $100

Last edited by a moderator:

K@os

A Local
Aug 12, 2005
South Australia
loweee said:
Darksidepoints said:

rolleyes.gif

I would not follow this advice. A medivac will not always be covered. A broken leg and need to travel in Business class home wont be covered. Their are alot of reasons that travel insurance works and provided peice of mind for under $100

Very bad advice indeed. This is straight from the smarttraveller website

smartraveller.com.au said:
New Zealand and Australia are signatories to a reciprocal health care agreement. The agreement provides Australians with access to government medical facilities and care but does not provide for ongoing treatment of existing health conditions. In addition, the agreement does not cover additional accommodation costs, flights for family members or medical repatriation to Australia. The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement does not replace the need for travel insurance.

ACC provides no-fault accident cover and may cover Australian citizens injured in an accident while in New Zealand. However, it does not cover illness of any kind nor does it cover things such as disrupted travel plans, lost deposits, assisted emergency travel home or travel for a relative to visit you. It does not replace the need for travel insurance.

so if you dont have travel insurance there is really very few situations where you will be fully covered and wont be out of pocket......I'd rather pay the $75 for 2 weeks thanks!

jk7D

First Runs
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Thats good advice. Travel insurance will also cover you for cancellation fees if you get sick or injured and can't travel. Sure Save are good because they do not exclude heli skiing and backcountry skiing from their coverage. They also have covergae for piste closure which can come in handy.

You can access a 20% discount by clicking on the below link.

http://www.sevendescents.com.au/ski-travel-insurance/

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass