1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

NZ trip buddy for 9 to 20 August '18

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Snowdayyy, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

Hey all,

- Firstly, could anyone reading this see if my plan sounds alright for snowboarding, I've never been to NZ and organised this based on what I've read online :)

- Secondly, in the title are the dates for my uni holidays between trimesters. I wanted to find a buddy or two to split the accommodation for a nice cabin or lodge instead of staying in the backpackers hostel.

Plan: 9th,10th,11th: stay in Wanaka just to snowboard in Cardrona (drive is ~25 mins each morning v 50 mins from queenstown.)

From 12th to 20th I plan to get accommodation in Queenstown, where I'll go to The Remarkables and Coronet Peak, and also do other winter activities in Queenstown like shotover jet and hangliding if it looks good?

2. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Plan sounds good to me. Wanaka is a beautiful town, and not as crazy busy as Queenstown, depending on what you like.

From Wanaka you can get to Cardrona or Treble Cone by driving or shuttle buses.

You can also access Cardrona from Queenstown, although as you say it is further ....... and can be a bit problematic if the Crown Range Road is affected by snow, in which case you have to divert a longer way around.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  3. pedub

pedub One of Us

The dates are good from snow pov.
    Personally I would rent a car, particularly if you find buddies to share costs.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  4. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah still hoping for buddies!

I'm gonna spend 4 days in Wanaka - gonna board on Cardrona and Treble Cone, then I'm gonna move to Queenstown for the rest of the trip and check out The Remarkables and Coronet Peak, and do some hang-gliding and shot-over jet :D

So pumped!! Just gotta keep an eye out on those flight deals now ;)

blowfin likes this.
  5. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I was over in Queenstown last year with my family and loved it. We stayed at Sherwood, which was pretty cheap. It wasn't fancy, but it was comfy and warm. It also has a really nice atmosphere - we ended up sitting around a fire toasting marshmallows and chatting with other guests of an evening.

If you're not up for renting a car, the Orbus is pretty cheap and reliable to get around. $5 for a GoBus card (can purchase with cash on the bus), and $2 per trip. We got the Snowline Express bus up to Remarks, and after having seen the sheer drop off the side of the mountain right next to the road, we'll be riding the bus again when we go again this year.

Also, does your uni have a snow sports club? I went to Uni of Newcastle (technically still do, just part time post grad now), and I know they have a snow sports club. There might be someone there who is thinking of travelling at the same time as you.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  6. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

Orbus sounds like it's gonna be a lifesaver! At least that's a cheap way to get from the airport to Queenstown.

I was looking at their routes, and to clarify, is 'Remarkables Park' the same as the Remarkables mountain where I'll be snowboarding? Also, orbus has a pretty unclear website lol, doesn't have a map on it

Doesn't look like Orbus goes to any (other) ski fields tho, "Long distance and special buses such as ski field or bungy jump buses are not part of the network."

Also great idea about asking the people in the snow club, maybe I'll find someone that way (tho the holiday dates for my course are super awkward...)

7. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

No, that confused me at first as well. Remarks Park is a shopping precinct. New World (NZ version of Coles) is there, which is easy to get to via bus if you need food. Pak N Save or Countdown are supposedly cheaper, but the bus routes didn't go past them when we were there last year. From what I've seen, the new routes look like they go that way. Stay away from 4 Square in town. It's kind of like IGA, but way more expensive.

The bus route map can be found at https://www.orc.govt.nz/media/3990/queenstown-bus-timetable-final.pdf

No, Orbus doesn't go to the ski fields. We caught the bus into downtown Queenstown from our accomodation (which was close to the Goldfield Heights stop) each morning. The buses for Remarks and CP are right next to each other on Duke St, which is a 2 min walk at most from where the Orbus dropped us off. It was $20 per day for the round trip up to Remarks. For a family of 4, with 2 kids that still need booster seats, it worked out cheaper to ride the bus than hire a car. Besides, neither hubby or I are confident with dealing with snow chains.

Snowdayyy likes this.