1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Obertauern - whats it like?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by XTREMO, Oct 2, 2020.

1. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Looking at doing a week this coming winter with some friends in Germany who go there a lot. Looking for some unbiased feedback.
    Terrain? Is there much advanced stuff? Nice fast reds?
    Enough to keep us busy for a week?
    Infrastucture? How reliant is one on gondolas (I imagine gondolas will be bottlenecks due to COVID this winter so I'd like to avoid resorts where they are crucial to getting around)
    They want to stay in Untertauern where they usually stay. Good plan? Or?

2. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Only had the one day there as a day trip from Schladming in 2011. TR here
    It was April so late season, so not all options open, but does have plenty of variety. I think you'll be fine.

#3 Heinz, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Tanuki, skifree and XTREMO like this.
  4. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

5. Heinz

As I noted in my TR Obertauern is more of a large collection of hotels strung out along the road, so will have plenty of ski in/out options but lacks the feel of a village. My guess is that your friends like Untertauren as it is more of a small compact village, probably cheaper and still only a short drive away (can't confirm though as I only passed through on the bus). Another option would be to stay in Altenmarkt which is a nice town and gives you a few more options including Zauchensee & Flachau, all well within 30 mins, so plenty of variety for a week and all on the Salzburger Super ski card.

#5 Heinz, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    XTREMO and skifree like this.
  6. Heinz

As you would be well aware of there has been an increase in Covid cases recently in Austria with several regions now yellow and orange on their traffic light system and Germany issuing travel warnings for Tirol and Vorarlberg. Hopefully things can improve again before the ski season as German ski tourists are vital for the Austrian ski industry.

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  7. skinavy

skinavy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Was talking to a mate who runs a ski school in Muhlbach and he says Summer was crazy busy with Germans, Belgians and Dutch tourists. Salzburgerland has had relatively few cases and he couldn't believe the restrictions Australia has in place. Austria is still trying to work out how a covid ski season will work.

8. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@Heinz
    Great report. I’ve never considered that region of Austria for spring skiing due to lack of elevation but it looks good.

9. Heinz

Plenty of good ski regions in Austria. They put a considerable effort into snowmaking especially in the early part of the season as you can see by the number of snow guns. This helps maintain pistes on the lower part of the mountain so Talabfahrt is still possible in spring even when the offpiste down low is all green. As long as the ski area has a good amount of terrain above 2000m you will get a good balance. Less crowds, more relaxed atmosphere. And with good weather you can have lunch outside on the terraces of the mountain huts with table service. Spring skiing in Austria is awesome. :)

Kash and skifree like this.
  10. XTREMO

@Heinz can I tap your brain? Just looking at pass prices and accom and I notice that there's a week in March (20-27th) which is classed as season B; the cheaper period. And then price goes up again after that week until mid April.

Any idea what happens that week 20-27 March? Is it a student week or something?

11. Heinz

I don't think there is is anything special about that week. It is just the gap between the main part of the season up to March 19 and the Easter holiday period starting March 27.
    https://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2021/

12. XTREMO

But what’s the logic in prices dipping cheaper for that week then going up to peak season prices again until 10th April? Seems odd , no?

13. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Pink week, you can only ride in pink.

14. Heinz

Not really. Just depends on the Easter dates which in 2021 is a bit earlier than usual.
    In 2019 when I was last in Austria Easter was late April and most places around late March weren't sure they would make it through to then.

XTREMO likes this.
  15. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I skied Obertauern for a few days in February 2015.

As Heinz said, the town is strung out close to the main road, not really a village feel.

Plenty of fast steep runs

I really liked the fact that it's a ski circuit perfect for getting around in a day.

XTREMO, skifree and blueandwhite like this.
  16. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

I last skied there in spring 2018 and there was plenty of skiing to be had. Particularly if you consider whats within easy commute. You've got the entire Ski Amade region just around the corner. So much in that area that you'd need more than a week to ski it all.

Another option is the town of Radstadt which is quite pretty, reasonably priced and has good shopping and food options as well.

If you really want an awesome on mountain experience you could stay here: http://www.almstadl.at/index.php/wagrainerhaus-ueber-uns/der-almstadl We did a couple of nights here and it was awesome. Great food, drink, sauna, sun deck and super location as a drop in spot.

XTREMO and skifree like this.