Observations - 9th July - 16th July

snowobsessedgirl

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2007
Adelaide
I took this photo at 12 today, and there has been about 10cm since then. The tables were cleared after the last front so its all fresh.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
snowing lightly at Buller now. Looks much drier now. There's probably 10cm on the road since they cleared it last night. Wind is light in the Village and still from the north.

Should be worth a few runs this morning. I'll take a punt Buller will report somewhere between 10-15 cm for the 24hrs. I think this has been a pretty good system to date and it's not over yet hopefully. Doesn't sound like the guns are on ATM but they couldn't be far off getting them fired up.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
lots of snow overnight here at Falls. I observe about 15 to 20 cm of light fluffy snow on the veranda.
Still snowing slightly, winds have dropped off.
Must go, no friends on powder day ...
biggrin.gif

Link

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
luvthabumps said:
. I think this has been a pretty good system to date and it's not over yet hopefully.

I agree LTB..but as an observation, this season has produced some of the most erratic falls I can recall.30cm at Charlotte's...10cm at Thredbo..1cm at Lake Mountain.
Overall a very good system so far..when people call fizz I often wonder what they're expecting from an Australian snow-bearing system? A metre?A half metre?
Not only is this sytem producing good quality snow, the charts suggest there will be an unusually long cold spell to accompany it.
Must be that WoodDuck migration.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
snow-pixie said:
luvthabumps said:
. I think this has been a pretty good system to date and it's not over yet hopefully.

I agree LTB..but as an observation, this season has produced some of the most erratic falls I can recall.30cm at Charlotte's...10cm at Thredbo..1cm at Lake Mountain.
Overall a very good system so far..when people call fizz I often wonder what they're expecting from an Australian snow-bearing system? A metre?A half metre?
Not only is this sytem producing good quality snow, the charts suggest there will be an unusually long cold spell to accompany it.
Yeah agreed. These are the systems that can absolutely puke.
I think some people have to get out of the SW change, GFS moisture forecast its going to be a fizzer mindset of the past 4-5 years.
Coldest air and most moisture streaming and wrapping through adelaide at moment.
If that wraps and pings the resorts this could be a 50 cent pluss.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
This wasn't a SW cahnge cold front, it was a large cutoff low. The coldest air is near Adelaide, but once the "speckled cloud" arrives, there won't be much moisture left.
There is an outside chance a cut off low could form near Adelaide, but I think it's too late for it to have any effect, as it would move over land and dissipate.

Squidly

One of Us
Jun 4, 2004
TAS
Once the winds turn s/se on Wed/Thurs, there should be a topup of snow, mainly snow showers, then that will be it for this system.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Sandy said:
This wasn't a SW cahnge cold front, it was a large cutoff low. The coldest air is near Adelaide, but once the "speckled cloud" arrives, there won't be much moisture left.
There is an outside chance a cut off low could form near Adelaide, but I think it's too late for it to have any effect, as it would move over land and dissipate.
Yeah thats my point.
It wasn't a SW change that presented classically on the models. So thats why people call fizzer when it doesn't fit into an easy box.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I don't know why people want it to turn SW. We do best from NW and W. Been light rain in Wagga most of the morning so should still be snowing in the mountains.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
snow-pixie said:
luvthabumps said:

Agreed - this is Australia - we usually get our snow 15cm at a time.

Brindabella

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2000
Canberra ACT
I have been following snow fall in the Snowies since the 60's and some of the best years were with a West to North West flow and marginal temps. You don't always want a big system that last only 24 hours all the time.

In the 70's a lot of wet snow fell and was not always the light dry powder type. It is systems like these that give good falls to the western side!!

Hotham Yetti

First Runs
Aug 20, 2008
NSW
I observe that on the radar, when you look at the last 2hrs, down near mt gambier, a reasonable amout of moisture
dissappears between 09:16 EST and 09:26 EST ???

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Temps seem to have crept down into that "nice" zone..... & should stay there for quite a while.

Overall,.... a pretty good result so far IMHO.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Brindabella said:
I have been following snow fall in the Snowies since the 60's and some of the best years were with a West to North West flow and marginal temps. You don't always want a big system that last only 24 hours all the time.

In the 70's a lot of wet snow fell and was not always the light dry powder type. It is systems like these that give good falls to the western side!!

Respect. (Said in best Ali G voice)

Brindabella

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2000
Canberra ACT
Recent passing showers in the western suburbs of Canberra spinning of the Brindabella's. As I said earlier in this post moisture showing up in sat pics near Mt Gambier or lack of does not always have a bearing on snowfall over the Mountains. Orographic uplift remember!!! Therefore modern technology and tools predicting the amount of moisture is not always relevant in all situations. I have been around watching snowfall long before we had computer models showing likely systems 3 weeks out and moisture in the bight etc. In fact the cloud pattern and lack of wind today in Canberra is very similar to weather patterns I have observed in Europe on many occasions. My trip to Melbourne via Kiandra today was aborted due to road conditions in that area!!! No 4x4!! Chains required. drat

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
I observe at Falls Creek that it has been steadily snowing all day. I'm sure we've got another 10cm since morning.
biggrin.gif

bdenny4

One of Us
Jun 28, 2008
Bayside Melb
How come WZ is not showing the precip that the people above have reprted for Falls and Perisher?
Falls show 0.0mm and Thredbo (cos Perisher is not on there)also 0.0

Sorry if this is off topic

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
You mean in the gauge?
Strong winds...cold temps etc.
Means the snowflakes might not make it into the gauge and melt.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
bdenny4 said:
How come WZ is not showing the precip that the people above have reprted for Falls and Perisher?
Falls show 0.0mm and Thredbo (cos Perisher is not on there)also 0.0

Sorry if this is off topic

The rain gauge is probably frozen over or the snow is blowing from a direction where it cannot fall in. Happens all the time and it seems some stations experience the problem more then others. Hothams AWS is only reporting .8mm precip today but I suspect it'd be markedly more then that with more to come!!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Sat Pic looks great too. Cold air around broken hill.
Selwyn will do well from this.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Still big clumps of fluffy cloud overhead at Wagga. All travelling very slowly toward the mountains. They almost look like mini storm cells. Lets hope they hit the right targets. BOM a bit more optimist going for 5-10mm tonight.

Outlooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 20, 2003
Northern Beaches, Sydney
The sat pick looks great with the low spinning the cloud from the NW onto the mountains. The radar is a bit light on though so moisture levels may not be high enough to give us anything decent. Hope to see 5 - 10 out of it tonight in NSW.
ABC news are predicting light snow in the CT's and NT's in NSW and by the look at the sat pick it looks on the money. A cold morning for Sydney.

SnowAndrew

One of Us
Jun 18, 2008
Sydney
Off-topic - that cam is on an automatic sequence by mountainwatch who run that streaming live cam.

On topic - the falls look to be good at Hotham at the moment.

bdenny4

One of Us
Jun 28, 2008
Bayside Melb
weird that Hotham only reported 4cms from 9am yesterday.
Going by the obs here I would have assumed there would have been closer to 10cms

FatBob

Hard Yards
May 28, 2001
Canberra
Donza said:
Sat Pic looks great too. Cold air around broken hill.
Selwyn will do well from this.

Nice call, how did you figure that Selwyn would do well?

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
He is Donza -san.
He maketh the call and the call happens.
Looking for snow in the Granite Belt of Southern Queensland tonight/ tomorrow.(which partially answers FatBob's question)

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
snow-pixie said:
He is Donza -san.
He maketh the call and the call happens.
Looking for snow in the Granite Belt of Southern Queensland tonight/ tomorrow.(which partially answers FatBob's question)
Big blob of moisture on Sat pic yesterday arvo.
It was heading towards Selwyn.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass