Ocean effect snow

Zyka

First Runs
Jun 6, 2006
Melbourne
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the annual 'Ocean Effect Snow' machine has already kicked-in accross the Sea Of Japan.
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/gms/
From that Sat pick it looks like clear air coming off the Russian mainland until about 100km off the coast then the cloud starts and the light beautiful Powder dumps over the Island.

What a wonderful natural wonder. Wish we had a Seberia off the Oz coast to genenerate something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

rossi

First Runs
Jun 7, 2006
CANE TOAD COUNTRY
Are you kidding? We'd have bloody Russians pinching all our fish if we were that close to Siberia.

Go and live in Sapporo for a while its like being in Vladivostok.

Just kidding. The Hokkaido snow born in Siberia is a wonder to be sure.

You can see the lifts from the city on a clear day.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Notice also the lack of cloud on the southeastern side of Japan. This is the rain shadow effect.

If you travel along the expressway from Tokyo to Niigata prefecture, it goes through a tunnel 14km long. The altitude is similar on both sides, and yet there can be 30cm of snow on the southern side, and 3m of snow on the northern side!!!!

madskierNZ

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
wellington NZ
rossi said:
Are you kidding? We'd have bloody Russians pinching all our fish if we were that close to Siberia.

Go and live in Sapporo for a while its like being in Vladivostok.
They pinch all the bicycles, used fridges and old snow tyres too, watching Russian fishing boats leaving Hokkaido Ports is a wonderous sight, it is a miracle they stay afloat with all the flotsum they have strapped to the boats

Useful Japanese to know in port towns when going to the local sento is "Boku wa ro-shi-a-jin ja nai desu,"
smile.gif

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Sandy said:
Notice also the lack of cloud on the southeastern side of Japan. This is the rain shadow effect.

If you travel along the expressway from Tokyo to Niigata prefecture, it goes through a tunnel 14km long. The altitude is similar on both sides, and yet there can be 30cm of snow on the southern side, and 3m of snow on the northern side!!!!
Sounds like here to me. western side of our mountains always gets tonnes more than the east.

James B

One of Us
Dec 18, 2000
Christchurch, NZ, God's Own
Snow Blowey said:
Sounds like here to me. western side of our mountains always gets tonnes more than the east.
For a more dramatic example close to home see the South Island of NZ, which has extreme rain and snowfall west of the divide, with associated heavy glaciation - but lower snowfall amounts on the eastern side, and even quite high mountains on the eastern side remain free of glaciers (e.g. Mt Tapuae-o-uenuku 2885m).

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I think I saw Mt Tapuae-o-uenuku (2885m) and its friends from Mt Lyford this year - quite a big peak! - Would be handy within 3 hrs of Melbourne!

Did someone say Summer skiing!
cool.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass