1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Off-mountain eats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Ziggy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Just resuming a thread from last season. Post your experiences here.

What's new?

Bogong Jacks is running again, at Bogong Village. Menu looks good and will give that a go this season.
    'All Joy' Chinese in Mt Beauty has died after a long illness. RIP.
    Svarminsk on the BHP Rd is up again. Brekky/lunch. Had two very good coffees there so far and will go back for brunch.
    Stockpot in Tawonga Sth is humming and with good reason. A wide-ranging menu, good wine list and good service. The new kids' menu doesn't play to the lowest taste - bravo.
    Sweetwater Brewery in TS: what's not to like about a place with a range of good beers, snacks and a roaring fire. It's the only place that you can suck on some 'Big Fella' which is a high octane but smooth beer in case you were wondering. The new brew is striking.

What's not new:

Inconsistent coffee quality at the Bakery and an ordering system that defies logic. Queuing twice sucks. Why not pay, have the docket passed to the barista to fulfill and then call it out? Works in busy places that I go to in Melb.

2. Ziggy

Couldn't be bothered with DIY tonight so went to Settlers Tavern.

Have eaten there a number of times way back. Their chicken curry was a decent feed, and I found their blackboard specials a better option than the regular menu. But after several disappointments I haven't been back for some years.

Tonight's choice was hickory-smoked pork 'porterhouse' with braised red cabbage and pea mash.

The pork was tender but the smoking killed any natural flavour; not that that's hard to do with factory pork.

Apart from that, the fire was roaring and that was welcome. Service was good; wine list adequate.

3. weerab

weerab One of Us

One time I went to settlers I couldn't believe how quick the food was served , like five mins too quick! How's the country club these days?

I had a curry at feathertop tonight , a special, $ 20 for a large plate and a beer or a wine. John the manager wa pouring me such a big glass I had to tell him to stop, seriously!

4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

'Flour and Water' at Tawonga South are very good based on a sample of one (night before Hoppet 2012).
    Good food & service - esp with looking after young children. Reasonable prices by mountain peso standards.

(Slightly off topic here) Have to say as a city slicker I struggle with Mt Beauty in the evening. Shutters closed, very little open, a few places open strung out along the highway where as in Bright, eateries are mostly quite central - ironically, this the reverse of the Falls/Hotham village experience!

5. Ziggy

Settlers is pub food weerab. The cooks have their tricks to get lotsa plates out there on busy nights.

Sounds like your curry was good value, esp up on the mountain.

snowgum, F&W is on my agenda; thanks for the info; it's down on the list as I prefer to walk to loosen off the muscles on the way up and burn off unneeded calories on the way back ;-)

Mt Beauty proper now has nothing at night except the Country Club - which you have to hunt for. For the sake of this thread I'll go down there again. In times past there was decent Asian food there cooked and served by a family who'd come up from Melb. Since they left I've had two meals there and found them on par with pokie-subsidised venue meals elsewhere.

6. Ziggy

There's also Swiss & Chips in Tawonga Sth.

Only got take-away there once so far, chips; they were very good. Someone there is a keen skier.

Also Roi's in Tawonga that I will revisit. Took the kids there once years ago and they loved it.

7. Ziggy

Ate at Stockpot again.

Chose two small plate options. Baked prawns: done in garlicky oil with chilli slices and served with a chunk of crusty bread. That was a winner. Medium heat from the chilli to balance the garlic and oil. House-made gnocchi with a cream and Milawa blue-cheese sauce. Excellent. Would choose this as my last meal if on death row.

For greens: the rocket and parmesan salad. This has a neat variation in using candied walnuts in place of the usual pear slices.

Service was quick friendly and accommodating.

Wish this was my local back in Melb.

8. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

When i stayed in Mt Beauty recently, friends took me to place called "Flour and Water" - I thought it was very good, given the prices they charge.

9. Ziggy

Thanks Slushii. Yep, it's on the list.

It's hard job but someone's ....

10. Ziggy

Had lunch with a mate at Bright Brewery today. First visit since its start-up days.

$10 for a bowl of vegie soup with ciabatta bread was a bit steep IMO. It came with a good slice of Myrtleford butter factory product and boutique butter sparks an interest. Not a fan of unsalted butter on bread but salt flakes and ground pepper were served with it to make up the deficit.

Their Porter was in my view closer to a stout. I liked the Blowhard pale ale; high in hops.

Food service was slow. The place was not crowded.

Generalisation re ambience: as a woodie I'd like to see more local timber furniture in places like these. Yeah, I know it costs a bomb.

11. Ziggy

Should add that next door to Sweetwater is the Tawonga Sth butcher.

He's doing his own smoked meats.

The chicken breast last night was good. No suss yellow colouring.

Tonight is his smoked trout: have just been peeling it and snacking on little bits and it's sensational.

12. weerab

weerab One of Us

$10 for soup is cheap these days, I think I paid $14 the other day for a very nice Tibetan veggie soup in Melbourne the other day when I had to visit the immigration dept.

Remember when Sweetwater brewery was Frissante Pizzeria , that was a rip off. I paid nearly $30 for a bowl of pasta a few years back and pizzas were Exy!

13. Ziggy

It was good soup but the quantity was limited. The butter would've accounted for a decent chunk of the costs.

14. Ziggy

Lunch today at Seasons in the main drag in MB. A freshly done lasagna with plenty of salad for $12. Not haute cuisine but good value and served quickly and cheerfully.

I rate their pies as distinctly better than the Bakery's.

Coffee this morning at Skafferi ... another excellent cuppa. Well, two. They also on Mondays and Fridays bring in proper sourdough bread and will take orders.

My recipe for the week: a slice of sourdough, a few pieces of smoked trout from the TS butcher and top off with a handful of wild rocket from the supermarket. Add a drizzle of good horseradish sauce if it's to hand. Bliss!

15. Ziggy

Flour and Water last night. Bumped into friends and had a wonderful night.

Opted for the rack of lamb main, $25. The rack had been jointed after roasting into three cutlets. They were a little pink which works for me and had a good flavour. Sourced from the TS butcher and before that .... from a sheep at a guess ;-)

Came with a good wodge of mashed sweet potato but no greens. I'm not a fan of mash so followed up with an order of lamb ribs and they were terrific.

There's no wine list so you ask what's on offer. The Ceccanti 2008 Shiraz paired nicely with the lamb. It's a deceptively easy wine to drink and I don't know how it can be offered at the local bottle shop at around $14. At a guess there's not a lot of oak in it but it works as a well-rounded drop that punches above its weight.

The famed (notorious?) free after dinner tipple was offered. It has a rather lurid colour and packs quite a punch. Beware. I was happy I'd chosen to go on foot.

The service was prompt, professional and friendly. Apologies were made for a noisy family but weren't needed; they were celebrating a birthday and it was no trial to see them enjoying themselves.

16. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen.

17. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

When the warmer weather comes around, I am looking forward to having lunch here again. I loved it last time I went and highly recommend it.

http://www.annapurnaestate.com.au/

#17 Sadie, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  18. weerab

weerab One of Us

had a pizza at Flour and water a couple of months ago, really enjoyed but didn't get any after dinner tipple?

I love Annapurna winery, have had a few long lunches there, usually the antipasto plates. I'm not that keen on their wines tbh but the views make up for it.

Speaking of views and wineries, Bogong Estate is brilliant and so is Gapsted. the last time I was at Bogong, I was thinking to myself, this has to be as good as Tuscany or the French vineyards. I think NE Vic is highly underrated!

19. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, the wines available from Flour and Water are at such low prices for a restaurant/cafe. Simple, easy to drink wines that works well with their food - I'm definitely going back there again next time I'm in Mt Beauty [​IMG]

When we got there, we were given gluhwein on arrival (we got picked up in the limo [​IMG] ), and after the meal we had their home-made spirits. Mmmmm... then got driven back to our accom in their limo again!

#19 Slushii, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  20. Ziggy

Musta been six of you then?

(Home-made spirit isn't legal; at a guess the base was cheap vodka.)

Last weekend while wandering back from Sweetwater Brewery, Stockpot found me a spot. I'd developed an appetite.

New on their menu is pork ribs. Ab fab.

That's two of their dishes on my last wish menu. Just have to find someone worth killing. In the current environment of Fed politics that shouldn't be hard.

21. Ziggy

I'm a fan of Gapsted: lunch at the winery and the wines. They do some interesting stuff. Never had a dud.

Ceccanti is also well worth a visit for lunch and tastings.

#21 Ziggy, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  22. Ziggy

Thanks for the reminder Sadie. Haven't visited it for years. Hope you'll be able to hobble up there ;-)

#22 Ziggy, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  23. Ziggy

Went to Ceccanti for lunch today. Antipasto platter was varied and interesting. Good value IMO; $15 for one person, $25 for two.

Got a tour of the winery from Angelo.

He doesn't have to fertilise or irrigate the vines; not much oak is used which means the price can be kept down and sulphur levels are low. He picks the red grapes late and that accounts for the full flavour. They're not complex wines but eminently drinkable. Good with food and company.

It's hard not to be impressed with his vision and persistence in making Tuscan-style wines in the Kiewa. He lost the entire crop due to smoke taint in 2003 and 2007 and due to birds and heavy rain in 2011.

24. weerab

weerab One of Us

Did he show you his maserati, or maybe it was a ferrari?

25. Ziggy

heheh, no, but whatever it was he earned it.

My last post on this ...

I was going to head up to Beechworth to eat at Provenance (granted that's some way off-mountain) but will save that for another season. Will take the hike tent to overnight and spend on food and wine.

I've had a good many enjoyable meals at Stockpot and loved the hospitality there. Their formula is a winner. But I hope they have a good way of cleaning their wood boards. As a semi-pro woodworker I regard them as a potential health hazard.

Didn't make it to Bogong Jacks nor to Roi's.

26. Ziggy

Summer eats :

All Joy in MB proper has mercifully been replaced by Hot Million (sic). Indian. 1st outing. .... prompt supply of water & pappadums. A good curry sauce was marred by uncooked onion segments. A replacement dish was offered when this was pointed out. Full marks. This might mature into an eatery that the town needs.

Sweetwater is now offering light brekkies. The standouts on the charcuterie etc board for me are the local olives and cheddar. The new pilsener on tap goes well with the board. (Good to see Hully looking pretty nimble on his reco knee.)

Dreamers is now offering brunch.

Bumped into weeerab yesterday. Had coffee with Curra.

Further afield changes have happened at Mitta Mitta. The Laurel Hotel has had a makeover. No longer looks like a morgue.

27. weerab

weerab One of Us

Hi Ziggy,

Just got back a few minutes ago as i have work tomorrow, alas, but will have to go back in a few days to pick up wife and in laws. we're staying with the SIL at Hooterville but just popped over the gap to have a look at our block in Tawonga South. Much work to be done as more trees have fallen over our little creek from the other bank.

On this topic, had lunch at Annapurna, platters were good but not as good as I remember. Coffee at the bakery was dismal, weak and luke warm.

I popped into Sweetwater on the way back to sample a beer paddle, very tasty!

P.S A bit sad to find out that one of our neighbors in Tawonga South died just a few months back. We didn't know him that well but had spoke briefly a few times.

28. Ziggy

Sweetwater & Dreamers are doing coffee now too.

Skafferi does great coffee; Thurs to Mon 8 to 4 acc to the website.

Depends who is working the machine at the Bakery.

Ta for the Annapurna info. Will give 'em a go.

29. weerab

weerab One of Us

Popped into Gapsted on the way home and picked up a couple of doz bottles at their sale. Don't know how cheap their prices really are but the wines are good. Lots of stock, their warehouse looked chockers. You could buy by the case or mixed dozen or even singly. Very well organised.

30. Ziggy

They do some interesting varieties.

Never had less than a decent drop from them.

Nice place to lunch too.

31. Ziggy

Hot Million did a very decent lamb in green masala sauce last night.

I opted for medium heat & it worked up a sweat. Just how I like it. There was lots of meat in the serving.

Garlic Naan I like dripping with ghee and enough garlic to keep vampires at bay and this version wouldn't have helped.

32. weerab

weerab One of Us

breakfast at morries in hooterville

is usually good. Shared a bacon and egg baguette with the wife on two occasions, one is way too big. prices seem to be on the increase but big serves. Coffee better than the bakery at beauty! Views not too bad either.

33. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We had lunch at Annapurna Cup weekend. Wasn't as good as I remember either. Still good though.

34. weerab

weerab One of Us

Wife and family had lunch at Boynton's on NYE, food was good but very small serves which is not necessarilly a bad thing. Ambience and views just brilliant. I wasn't there as had to go back to work for a couple of days.

Managed to squeeze in a few beers at Bright Brewery, tried the tasting paddle, all really good, favourite would have to be the pale ale, just brilliant. I think the brewery was set up by two couples, now just just seems to be the one family.

35. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I have to put in a mention of Pepper Leaf...? (well Pepper something, anyway) at Corryong. Near the lowest point of the main drag.

It's been going for many years and has been positively reviewed in the sort of foodie magazines that usually stick to the inner suburbs (with occasional excursions to Daylesford or Lorne).

But despite serving awesome food, they stick to country town prices. Probably the best value for money meals I've ever had.

36. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

37. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Pepperleaf isn't bad. I've struck them a couple of times after busy weekends where they haven't had much choice but overall good tucker at good prices, and good value house wines

#37 currawong, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  38. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Oh well then Curra, there's always the Glenrowan Maccas. ;)
    It has the following things going for it:

* It's always open,
    * Prices are cheap,
    * The food is of a consistent quality
    * and (unlike the Corryong joint), they never run out of any item. :p

39. currawong

Not true about not running out, or everything being available. Driving home from Melbourne one very hot evening, we dropped in to get sundaes. They wouldn't do it because they'd already cleaned the machine. IIRC it was before 9pm.

Anyway for me, I would never be going past Corryong & Glenrowan on the same journey.

Tallulah's in corryong does a reasonable burger btw.

40. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

And by the way, Scott is an excellent telemarker.

41. weerab

weerab One of Us

Yes, I read the little High country brewery trail booklet which gave a rundown on the brewers and their interests. Is Scott one of the original owner/brewers? I must try Taminick brewery at some stage, have you been there?

BTW, has Boynton's stopped brewing?

42. currawong

Don't know about Boynton's, never liked it much and IIRC they brought it in from somewhere else.
    Alsa recommend a trip to beechworth for bridge road brewery. Good value lunches too, although I haven't been there for a while. Ovens pub used to have some of their beer on tap too.

43. Ziggy

From the 'tap-let' . ...

Mitta general store has expanded their food offerings to include good home-made pies. They have identifiable meat objects in them ;-)

Stockpot has varied their small plate menu. The baked Camembert with prosciutto & date chunks is terrific. They also have some sherries on the wine list. Try the Pedro Ximenez with desert.

44. weerab

weerab One of Us

I had a bad experience at the Ovens pub a while back after a visit to the nearby hop farms. The veal, or whatever it was, was not quite defrosted, actually still frozen at the end.

Ziggy, the stockpot sounds quite interesting. We popped into "Italy on a Plate" in Milawa on the way back to Melbourne on Friday, yes I know it's a long way off mountain. It used to be "food on wood" and then Maddisons. It's now all Italian including wines and the gourmet olives etc. We had a couple of pretty good pizzas and the FIL enjoyed his spag marinara complete with crab legs. It's a bit exxy for a quick lunch on the way to the snow but worth a look. I popped in last NYE on the way to Harrietville, alas it was shut, so I went to Bright brewery but very busy so had a pizza at the pub, old style but not too bad.

45. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

Over the last couple of years, every time I drove past Boynton's it looked like it had shut up shop, or was about to. I recall Summer 2011/12 it looked like they were having a terrible time with their vines and seriously struggling to get much happening at all.

I also recommend Bridge Road. Hidden off the main street (you've got to walk down an alley way beside the pub) but it's well worth it. Do a ripper pizza, can't get enough of the Morrison St Butchers Sausage Pizza. The Gully by 3 Blue Ducks (under Huski) sells their beers both on tap and by the bottle, and the local Amulet Cider as well. Very decent. If you're in Beechworth, the Beechworth Provendor on Camp St (opposite the lolly shop) is well worth a try. Great coffee, fantastic home made cakes and never too busy. They have a sneaky cellar hidden out the back which is well worth a look.

Can anyone confirm if Skafferi is still open over the summer? I won't be back from Canada til late April but seeing as I'm missing beautiful NE Vic and the bakery has been rather hit and miss over the last year, a visit is definitely in order on my first days off.

46. currawong

Skafferi (cafe at svarmisk) is open Thur - Mon till 4pm.Not sure of opening time but I'm guessing 8am.

47. Hully

Hully One of Us

Boynton's is definitely open and doing business. The cellar door site may appear in a state of building development as they spend the mega bucks in government grants that they have received over the past 12 months.

48. Ziggy

My MB swansong was a birthday dinner at Stockpot with my partner. We shared three small plates and also shared the fillet of beef.

That was a knock-out. It had texture and flavour unlike most such. It was served with chat potatoes and green beans and a fab rich reduction. Sum and Mitch are doing a fine job there. The place is deservedly humming.

Other than that, it was a pleasure to drop into Sweetwater Brewery several times for essential electrolyte replacement after a long motorbike ride. I hooked up with Curra and partner for an enjoyable yarn there (and elsewhere) and had chats with Hully and his wonderful staff. (Curra, I did that remaining short stretch of dirt on the Omeo H'way. It was a doddle. When all sealed, that road will acquire an international reputation ;-)

I bumped into strangers at Sweetwater and at Stockpot and struck up interesting conversations. Four degrees of separation in one case. That I think happens more readily when you're solo.

49. Ziggy

Re on-mountain eats The Gully got a good wrap in The Age on Tuesday.

50. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ceccanti Winery - $45 five course lunch menu is difficult to beat