1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

France Off-piste guiding and touring in Val D'Isere

Discussion in 'Europe' started by BrentC, Oct 26, 2018.

1. BrentC

BrentC Hard Yards

Hello

Myself and a friend will be in Val D'Isere from 2nd - 9th February and are looking to hire an off-piste ski guide for a day, or for two mornings.

Does anyone have a recommendation for either:
    • small group off-piste guiding / ski-touring
    • private guiding
    We'd love something that feels like an adventure, such as one one of the classic, long, summit-to-valley itineraries away from the main resort (we've been told about the Col de la Grassa and the Terre Rouge - but don't really know much about where to go).

To give an idea of ability, we are both advanced skiers who have skied extensively in North America. When the snow is good we can comfortably ski a fair chunk of off-piste terrain at resorts such as Squaw Valley and Snowbird. The days of skiing 'extreme' stuff (e.g. narrow couloirs, anything with air etc.) are behind us though.

Thanks all,

Brent

2. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

A day of private guiding in Val with one other mate was the best money ive spent in the alps Easy (cant remember exactly but its lots 200-300euro). Highly recommend. For us was easy to book from any of the guiding company shopfronts in val. But things may have changed (was a few years ago). I put a post in the forums with the places our guide took us, ill try and find it.

We also did a group half day which was also great. Cheaper, and less exciting in proportion. In both cases we just booked a day or two in advance

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I did a half day guided group, think through the ESF, was great fun but nothing like what you can do privately.

4. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

5. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

6. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

This post from a while back has details of particular routes that we followed. May be of use in planning

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/the-europe-2013-thread.56330/page-24#post-2205200

Kletterer likes this.
  7. BrentC

BrentC Hard Yards

Thanks everyone. I sent an email to 9Vallees and ESF to see what they can offer.

@Bloke if I wasn’t convinced of hiring a guide before I am now - that footage looked great.

How likely is that I’d need to book in advance, or can we play by ear in the hope of picking a good weather window?

Bloke likes this.