1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Off-piste ski snowboard simulator

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by SAL, Aug 15, 2019.

1. SAL

SAL Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Hopefully not a YART, but a friend was walking through the Entertainment Precinct in Moore Park and noticed this place. Looks kinda like a zhuzhed up version of one of those old skiers edge machines.

Anyone tried? Looks like a bit of fun for the off season.

2. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Interesting. The WinterClub in Florida, near Orlando and Disney World, has been operating with that and the rolling carpet system for several years. The video is from 2015 and seems to be at a trade show.

I have an old Skiers Edge. This contraption is not really set up the same way.

SAL likes this.
  3. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Got a friend who has been using it as part of getting back to being ski fit after hip surgery. I've used the Maxxtracks (rolling carpet) at Vertikal in Fyshwick. Feels kind of odd, but I can see how it helps technique and definitely provides a workout.

SAL likes this.
  4. SAL

From what I see the platform you ski on stays horizontal. Would be good if they could put servos into the platform to make it mimic the angle of the slope on the screen. But then they’d probably need more safety features built in.

5. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

The ones at Vertikal tilt and can get quite steep.

SAL likes this.
  6. SAL

Thanks Skinavy, there was one of those around Alexandria a few years ago. Thought the one at Off-Piste was interesting because of the virtual reality aspect to it.

7. MarzNC

Haven't seen it in person. Imagine they learned something from how golf simulators work.

Must be popular at WinterClub. Found out that reservations must be made a day in advance during the "off-season" and a week in advance during the ski season, which is considered Oct-Mar.

SAL likes this.
  8. MarzNC

The MaxxTracks certainly provides a workout. I had an hour private lesson a couple years ago for supporting the installation at Inside Ski, a ski shop near Washington DC. The idea is you get a break after 10 minutes. That's twice as long as it takes to finish a run in the relatively small ski areas within a half-day's drive of DC. Got the hang of making parallel turns during the second 10-min period. You use their skis at a shorter length than usual to start with. Carpet isn't great for bases so wouldn't want to use my own skis. I would go again if I lived closer.

I have a friend who started doing private lessons during the summer last year. Working with the same very experienced instructor (PSIA Level 3) who teaches the multi-week clinics for advanced intermediates at a local ski area. Takes 2-3 trips a season to destination resorts in the Rockies and quite dedicated to improving. Clearly thinks the practice on the rolling carpet helps.