1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Off piste vs back country vs out of bounds - getting started

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Shoey, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Background Context: My wife and I are upper intermediates, have about 20wks experience over 8yrs under our belt, but only done runs - groomed & ungroomed of all colors in the European Alps. We are keen to move to the next step and start exploring outside, esp with Japan round the corner now that we are based back in Oz.

I want to get an understanding of off-piste vs back-country vs out-of-bounds, and what we need for each. My rudimentary understanding from reading http://mountainacademy.salomon.com/en/demo/18/what-is-off-piste, off-piste is everything that starts even a meter outside marked runs, but that would still be in bounds. i.e. sometimes a bowl might have two or three runs going down in parallel and skiing between them is technically off piste but in bounds. Likewise, skiing thru the trees dividing two runs means the same. There could be avalanche risk (practically, not a large one?), but ski patrolled and generally you don't need to be geared up or hire a guide.

By contrast, back-country / out-of-bounds is literally outside of the map/perimeter of the resort and you'd definitely need a guide and be prepped with beacon/shovel/probe.

What would the 'gates' in the Japan resorts be considered as?

And what's the best way to get started? We are considering getting an instructor, and in additional to learning the ski techniques we'd want to learn a bit about mountaincraft, i.e learning how the snowpack varies with the time, direction, spotting risks etc.

2. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you are visiting Thredbo you could try the introductory backcountry sessions you will find on their web page. There is also a backcountry touring business based in the Guthega Centre. Alternatively you could book a guide through K7 Adventures. You can hire touring gear through all of these. Some tuition and guiding is a very good way to start off.

crackson, Shoey, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  3. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Outside the map perimeter imo is side country, everything that doesn’t exist on a resort map or in the vicinity of a resort is backcountry IMO

zac150 likes this.
  4. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Ski skills aside do you have any or much camping experience and any winter camping gear? BC there is always a risk of being stuck out and some other basic gear that is always carried is part of what you need to acquire and always carry.
    Speaking as a bushwalker who skis and not as a skier who camps.

crackson and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  5. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I like the term "lift accessed backcountry" for this, rather than sidecountry, to emphasise that the risks of sidecountry are no less than that of other backcountry: http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/index.html#/?part=tunnel-creek

Tanuki, nfip, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  6. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

With the exceptional rare occurrence, getting lost or injured are the #1 Australia side and back country risks so .... ski skills + navigation skills before over the counter "BC safety" purchases.

Weather and slipping on ice will bring you undone long before a beacon and probe are mandated.

SMSkier, nfip, jonathanc and 16 others like this.
  7. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You correctly identified off-piste as anything off a groomed run. Before heading outside resort boundaries, you need to adapt your basic skills for the ungroomed snow and terrain, and log some solid mileage to solidify this. I'd say the best way to get this going is to take some advanced training sessions in Australia this season. Instructors will all be good English speakers and the off piste snow conditions will be as or more challenging as you'll find anywhere else in the world (except Scotland; do not go there). The emphasis in the training should be on developing really strong basic skills (stance & balance, turn shape) and then on adapting those skills for varying terrain and snow types. Heading out into the shmoo will not go well if your on-piste skills aren't solid. The difference in snow feel and rapid changes in terrain will be overwhelming if you don't have a really good grip on the basics.

1. take an advanced course - a 5-7 day session would be best, daily repetition and reinforcement needed for progress that is retained long term.
    2. resort skiing with a clear focus on the off piste. Practice what you learned in the training course - expand your comfort zone to include steeps, bumps, trees, sloppy snow, icy snow, etc.
    3. take a refresher lesson or two to review and/or re-centre.
    4. try heading outside resort boundaries on low angle 'side country' terrain.
    5. consider true back country skiing, based on growing confidence on all snow types. Now you can think about purchase of needed equipment. By this time you've probably made connections for a group tour 'out back'. Or of course develop these connections on this forum.

crackson, Shoey, piolet and 2 others like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hermannator, skull, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Good on you for asking the questions.
    Shows you’re thinking about it and taking your safety seriously.

The gates are a way to minimise risk to the resort by people skiing the attached backcountry. Rather than a free for all, enter wherever you like, they have strategically placed reasonably narrow access points that you must intentionally go through to get out there. It is an acknowledgment of the risks of riding the terrain when you pass through the gate.

If there weren’t gates you’d find people ducking in and out of bc areas all over the mountain and quite potentially being followed out by someone without the ability to handle the terrain.

But it is still back country, albeit slackly acquired via lifts, and albeit often fairly heavily tracked.

Good guides will not only lead you safely through bc terrain, they’ll teach skills on the way, they should be talking through their decision making so you are beginning to understand the process rather than just follow.

Courses are good. Not just ski development and Avy Courses but mountaineering skills really help also. It takes time to acquire these things and that shouldn’t stop you progressively stepping out in line with your skill level. You consolidate any classroom or book acquired knowledge by doing. Until you feel comfortable that you can make safe decisions out there, hire a guide.

There are also some gates that are safer than others - if you’re in Hirafu you’ll see a lot of people stepping out the gates with no backpack/beacon. I don’t recommend this however there are a few gates that are more like your description of “off piste” - and if there has been no fresh snow are so packed out there’s no need of Avy equipment. But the best advice is to take it anyway. Get used to riding/skiing with it so it’s not an uncomfortable thing when you need to wear it.

SMSkier, Shoey, nfip and 6 others like this.
  10. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

I can’t agree with this enough.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

There is no such thing as side country.

SMSkier and nfip like this.
  12. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

You can do this. Or you could invest in courses that will give you the skills and tools you'll need to be independent. Some people don't want that - it's basically like doing a PhD, and at the end you are still responsible for your own safety, which for some people isn't fun. It's really up to you how you want to get into the BC, but I just wanted to say that guided is not the only way.

I reckon having solid bushwalking skills and decent fitness is a start. I used to be an alpine climber, and having those skills is definitely helpful - doing a 2 week course in NZ would give you the skills you need to climb anything you can ski down. Add in a couple of Avalanche courses, and maybe a wilderness first aid, and you no longer have to suckle on the guide teat.

This can't be said enough for Australian BC. The avalanche gear gets used maybe half a dozen days here. Whippets and crampons are ever present for me.

Gimp, Shoey, nfip and 4 others like this.
  13. smackies

smackies A Local

Figure out how many mini snickers you can eat in a day. Pack double.

qwill, jbprophoto, Sadie and 9 others like this.
  14. climberman

Or you could just get some gear and go and do it. It’s how every. single. person. who started doing this before 2012 did it. Like all adventure sports, start easy so that your mistakes are recoverable.

Shoey, piolet, Jacko4650 and 7 others like this.
  15. climberman

Or you could just get some gear and go and do it. It’s how every. single. person. who started doing this before 2012 did it. Like all adventure sports, start easy so that your mistakes are recoverable.

buckwheat, crackson, piolet and 4 others like this.
  16. climberman

THIS is my kind of advice!

17. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

make sure you like walking uphill. a lot of people find they dont like it as they dont get enough downhill. its not about charging downhill like resort skiing is.

buckwheat, Sadie, SMSkier and 6 others like this.
  18. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Yep, and a couple of useful bibles to assist:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoey, Chaeron, nfip and 3 others like this.
  19. LMB

I have the bottom one.
    Great resource.

Chaeron and cornice11 like this.
  20. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I always like to suggest some traditional cross-country skiing as well. Out of Perisher in NSW, and I suppose Falls or Hotham in vic (Buffalo up towards the Horn is also very pretty, if there is snow). The gear hire is cheap and you can a surprisingly big and adventurous day out on marked routes. It's great for your balance and general skiing skills (it will improve your downhill as well). At Perisher the XC building is also an excellent day facility with a kitchen etc.

Learning the ins and outs of wild snow (both from a safety perspective of ice and avalanche, and also just for finding good skiing) is a lifetime of learning. Aspect (sunny vs shaded, morning sun vs afternoon sun) is vital. Temperature and cloud cover affect it. The prevailing wind and where wind drifts and wind scoured areas form. Slope angle too. A compass and slope angle meter are two of the best gadgets you can have and they're cheap. (Slope angle meter is handy for bragging rights too)

You can start reading avalanche forecasts. Safety aside, once you begin to understand them they usually give you by FAR the most comprehensive and objectively neutral snow reports, that will eventually give you a much better idea than ski resort snow reports.

skifree, Ziggy, LMB and 2 others like this.
  21. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This. Pretty much all of us started this way.... and with input and assistance from others here. Do a taste. If you like it, dive in. And as mentioned, some find the effort to skiing ratio all wrong and don't continue. You do need to like type II fun.

#21 Fozzie Bear, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Sadie, Chaeron, nfip and 4 others like this.
  22. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This is great advice for Japan. There is a massive difference in gates across different resorts and even areas of the same resort. For example at Okushigakogen there are a couple of gates you could go through without the gear and some I definitely would not mainly due to terrain traps and being funnelled into deep creek. I always have the gear and hopefully will never need it. Definitely speak to locals about the risks. I found the AST1 course a good starter for learning risk, snowpack, lines etc. 2 days and they run courses in Jindy & Vic. I will be doing further preparation and training when time allows.

LMB likes this.
  23. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Yep This is how I started bushwalking on skis, bought some cheap gear and just did it. Fell over a lot. Then fell over some more I still can't ski but I don't fall over so much any more.

weerab, Jacko4650, skifree and 2 others like this.
  24. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

A good beginner TR just went up from Laska

piolet likes this.
  25. climberman

And be ok with the occasional Type III LOL

Chaeron, piolet, LMB and 2 others like this.
  26. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Heading out also means bigger fluctuations in energy output/ body heat. A method of adjusting layering in clothing to suit activity becomes an integral part of comfort and safety.

SMSkier, Chaeron, Snowy Joey and 2 others like this.
  27. Rick Ross Da Boss

Oh gawd :rolleyes:

28. LMB

Hell yes!
    Shell with layers for the win.
    Lightweight down in the pack in case it turns or you get stuck.

Kletterer likes this.
  29. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Wow thanks for the wave of responses! I need to digest through it and will come back with more followup questions :)

30. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Read everything. (not quite) but it's been great for me just reading and talking to forum members over the years to pick up a lot of this stuff. I still haven't done anything properly out there, but between experiences and reading here, I've got a much greater awareness when I do a little exploring. Part of starting to ski as well as snowboarding is to increase my ability to get out there in a real way 'some day'.

crackson, Chaeron, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  31. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Points for asking the question. That shows more about your temperament and risk profile than you might think.

Read. Look for friends who are skilled in BC travel and ask to tag along. Learning on the boards is invaluable. Get out there on low risk missions and see if you like it and if so then look for a proper BC / avalanche training course.

Question everything you do and every decision you make. Retrospect is a great thing, provided you're alive to benefit from it. Fark, I've made so many mistakes in the BC but luckily they were made on low risk ventures. However in retrospect, phew.

Respect the mountains keep your hubris in check and keep your ears and eyes open. Enjoy.

Shoey, Chaeron, nfip and 3 others like this.
  32. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

I'll add, based on off-piste in-bounds experience and one of the concepts the BC crew and training tells you. Don't let a less cautious mate/partner/etc careless attitude lead you into risky situations. Check each other's reasoning and assessment and don't be so focused on avalanche that you forget all the other risks that might not be as media-hyped but very real. Creeks, buried obstacles, cracks/holes etc. Just reading the in-resort reports in the last week there's been people talking about these terrain issues

Shoey, LMB and nezumi like this.
  33. climberman

All this risk assessment advice is fine, but as you’ve never been, you have no idea of the risks. Ya don’t know what ya don’t know.

Just always think ‘if something goes wrong here, how will I get home?’ about every 7 minutes of your trip.

Chaeron, Kletterer, piolet and 5 others like this.
  34. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Navigating on top of Bogong solo in a white out is character defining. Doing on top of Twynam with @BrianWilson was kind of fun :)

Chaeron likes this.
  35. Ziggy

Skiing in a white-out is good for your skills. You have to ski with your body, not your mind, letting your knees work as shock absorbers.
    You might see a change in the shade of grey ahead of you but you don't know whether that means a rise or a drop in the snow surface.
    You hang loose.
    You might be rewarded with a bum plant, a face plant or a smooth ride.

crackson and Chaeron like this.
  36. Ziggy

I don't recommend going out with others unless they're experienced and skilled.
    The apprenticeship model is fine if the master knows what they're doing.

Chaeron likes this.
  37. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

38. tcornall

tcornall Early Days

Some musings regarding things to consider even before you worry about skiing down challenging slopes.
    Be prepared to sleep in the snow. Or at least take shelter to wait out the weather, possibly for days.
    I think that one of the biggest things to consider in the BC is that you often can't retreat to safety and comfort easily. And sometimes it's the things like a broken binding or lost ski that turns a day-trip into an epic.
    When it comes to multi-day trips and being prepared for unintentional overnightings, your gear is very important.
    Make sure you like your boots... and that your boots like you. Similarly for skis/stocks/outer and inner layers, tents, bivvy bags, sleeping bag, backpack, sleeping mat, stove, food strategy, headgear, facegear, goggles, inner and outer gloves, navigational equipment etc, etc.
    Learn how to use a GPS and always carry one. Compass and maps as backups. Practice using the GPS and the maps in 'inclement' weather. (Did you know its really hard to navigate by landmarks when you can't see any? Having the GPS to tell you where you are is essential. Having to guess which ridge you are heading down is a recipe for disaster.)
    Carry an EPIRB/PLB and know how to deploy it. (Preferably one of the new ones that also sends GPS location info)
    Experience and survive a screaming blizzard plus whiteout whilst navigationally-embarrassed with an exhausted/hypothermic-self/companion.
    Dig a snowcave. Know how to do it safely. Sleep in a bivvy-bag (and always carry one). Wake up in a tent on the snow to a beautiful sunny day.... or yet another whited-out screaming monster of a blizzard.
    And do all that on low-angle terrain even before you get to the exciting stuff.
    Terry

#38 tcornall, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Shoey, Chaeron and Belly like this.
  39. LMB

Unless everyone is on the same page and sticking with low risk, within skill set activities.

A group of highly experienced people no one voicing concern thinking that everyone else is more experienced than them and they’re not speaking up so must be overreacting can be more dangerous than a group of relative newbies talking every step out and erring on the side of caution.
    Riding by Braille.
    When you can laugh when you’re in that situation you know you’re skiing well.

Kletterer and nezumi like this.
  40. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I thought the "skiing with whole body" thing was all about not using your knees? :D :out:

Chaeron and Ziggy like this.
  41. tcornall

tcornall Early Days

Once or twice I've been skiing in a white-out and have seen rocks overtaking me. The first time I fell over in surprise. Now it just makes me laugh.

Chaeron and Ziggy like this.
  42. Ziggy

Sure. The wrinkle is the unpredictability.

LMB likes this.
  43. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Perfect example of the "experienced group with too much confidence" scenario: https://www.avalanche.ca/cherry-bowl/#/intro

nfip, Ziggy and LMB like this.
  44. tcornall

tcornall Early Days

Make sure you have ambulance insurance. Air evac is expensive in Oz if you don't.
    If doing this overseas find out about their Mountain Search and Rescue policies and potential costs.
    Be aware that run-of-the-mill travel insurance probably explicitly excludes 'risky activities' such as off-piste (or even on-piste) skiing.
    Be aware that when you put yourself at risk you also involve your companions, and potentially lots of other people who may have to rescue you. (It takes a lot of people to get someone down a mountain)
    Terry

Shoey, Chaeron and piolet like this.
  45. Rick Ross Da Boss

Arr yes, the good old cherry bowl clip. Gets a run at most backcountry event/evenings

46. Rick Ross Da Boss

A lot of doom and gloom here, do your research, educate yourself, get the right gear for the job and you’ll have a blast and wonder why you didn’t get out there earlier!!

crackson, Shoey, tcornall and 7 others like this.
  47. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Can confirm. I just had my first experience of unlifted skiing on Sunday. Spent since last season reading up, gearing up and started slowly with a simple bit of skinning up from DHG. Spent the whole drive home wondering why I hadn’t started years ago (and I’m still alive, hooray!)

We all have to start somewhere, and that somewhere probably shouldn’t involve any dangerous terrain or risk of getting lost in a whiteout was my thinking.

Looking forward to learning more and exploring further, slowly but surely...

crackson, piolet, nfip and 2 others like this.
  48. Rick Ross Da Boss

Awesome!! It’s addictive. Like all adventure sports, the learning never stops, the more you learn the more fun it becomes

Chaeron and nfip like this.
  49. climberman

Everyone is experienced and skilled to a never ever.

50. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Read my sig.

nfip, climberman and Kletterer like this.