Official Hotham ski.com.au Meet-Up Point

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
As was suggested in this thread, it would be a great idea to have a quick daily swing-buy to meet up & ski with other forum users, without complicated pre-arrangements.

I'm opening this to Hotham fans for a discussion on the best/most convenient place for such a meet up point:

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Location: right outside the Hotham Central entrance nearest the Hotham Ski School
Time: 10:30am and 2:00pm</span>

In good weather, meet outside Hotham Central entrance nearest the Hotham Ski School; in poor weather, meet just inside that entrance (near the ski school office). For a justification for this location - please read this post.

Please also post in this thread if you are planning on being at the meeting point, and if so, what you are going to wear. As the idea takes off I think we may end up with a bit of a community who are keen for skiing buddies & to show members around that are unfamiliar with the mountain.

Like Carveman and Planks & Sticks, I hope this works out as it'll be great not having to make complicated arrangements (in advance), and people knew if they were at a loose end, they could always go to the meeting point and there might be other people there who wanted to ski/board/tele. I also think it's a perfect way to put faces to the names online and build a bit of a Hotham community.

Last edited by a moderator:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Re: Official Hotham Moosh Meet-Up Point

I was thinking that you want somewhere central but incrowded. 2 ideas that comse to mind are the RMB building (yuk) and the side door to White Crystal, where you go in to the White Room. The latter has the advantage of not having to cross the road.

But I thought Hotham regulars would have more ideas.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site

Hmm... Hotham's a bit trickier than Buller, isn't it?

For downhill folk, how about out in front of the Snowbird shop in good weather, (less traffic than in front of the bar), and inside the bar in bad weather.

And you'd need 2 different locations for XC folk - perhaps inside & outside the General Store for those planning on heading out Wire Plain way, and maybe somewhere near the dam for those going out towards Mt Loch, etc.

And while 10:30 is a good time, (as agreed on at Buller), what about an afternoon time as well? Say, 2:00 in the same locations...

See y'all up there

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

I do have some ideas, but thought I'd give others a chance to put their ideas across first.

Anyway, I agree with you, Currawong, that a venue that does not require crossing the road to the RMB side would be preferable.

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

kimberlee, I do think you have a good point there, different spots for XC and downhill people.

For downhill, whilst Snowbird Inn is a good choice, crossing the road from the village side over to the Snowbird Inn side makes it less attractive (except maybe for beginners). Still, let's see what others come up with.
beer.gif

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

kimberlee81 said:
And a 2:00 time for Buller as well.
That could work as well - have two Moosh Meet-up times - an AM and a PM one. Good call!
thumbsup.gif

Fangin'Wolvy

First Runs
Apr 8, 2004
VIC

Zirkys, as they've a foyer that one can seek shelter, they're central, easy visibility, don't have to necessarily take off ski's/etc, on the right side of the road, to ski to HV.
Get's my thumbs up.
Also, I like the idea of a later time too. Can we make it persay 1pm as opposed to 2pm?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.

kimberlee81 said:
I think 1:00 is a bit early - that's when a lot of people are likely to be having lunch.

Perfect! Lunchtime 12:00~1:30pm is my favorite time to ski as all the punters ARE in having/queueing for lunch leaving the lifts and runs almost empty for me!

speedracer07

First Runs
Feb 10, 2007
bright vic aust
Re: Places to eat in Hotham

may i say indoors is a good meeting spot,but not the last run bar you cannot ski from there ,the white room is a nice location ,i have been there for coffee's and beer ,swindlers is a good meeting spot with the sun deck on sunny days and with the park to entertian you while you meet, also you can ski there from the top of village chair! i am keen on the 2 pm meeting also maybe make that 1pm as i work mornings ski instructing but i love the idea of the opitions 10 am and 1/2 pm , i like the idea of meeting other moosher's to go skiing with as i often ski by myself and i can't really do lift assisted back country alone etc ,well what ever i got lots of local knowledge to share so looking forward to meeting other keen skiers/boarders etc (alpinist's)lets go shredding !peace!

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Re: Moosh Meet Up Points [All Resorts]

good idea...just pick a spot at each resort and every day at 10.25 or whatever if you are there and you want to hook up you go to the designated place.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site

Have just posted this on the Snow Talk page, and will also post it on the Buller page.

Re a "universal Moosh code" - EASY!

All you need to do is call out, "Mooosh!" Or, "Any Mooshers here?"

Think about it... if there's no Mooshers, you're just calling out for your friend. If there ARE Mooshers around, well, you just found people to ski with!

My work here is done...

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

I'll be wearing my Tragic Big White 07/08 beanie
smile.gif
or my snowwatch beanie
smile.gif
hehe

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne

Yeah, I initially thought of snake as well, but it is a bit crowded (although the last two weekends it has been nearly empty).

2pm is probably a good time.

Indoors, maybe outside the New Hotham display (god knows it is uncrowded there... no one is interested in it anymore). Outside could be simply outside the front of the New Hotham display - not much there other than some ski racks.

Snow_is_life

First Runs
Jul 1, 2007

could always do it at the top of a lift, then you can ski off easy, so like the top of heavenly, or village, or wherever, have one for beginers and one for more advanced, screw the weather, we r not wimps

Flakey

First Runs
May 2, 2006
Melbourne

lochie said:
im probally younger then all of you?
I don't think anyone's all that concerned about age ... it's about having fun in the snow. There are people here of all ages.

But most important is that you don't think we're old fuddy duddies
wink.gif

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

Okay folks! Two meeting times - 10.30am and 2pm.

Location: Ski-School, just outside the Hotham Central entrance (or just inside the entrance if weather is bad).

Justification: Everyone knows where the ski-school outside Hotham Central is, even those relatively new to Hotham. Abundance of ski racks, it's close to supermarket/shops and lunch venues (Snow Bird is just across the road, Hotham Central, Zirky's etc all near by) so people can dash in for a coffee/snack etc, close to shelter (wait inside the entrance in bad weather), easy ski-off to Sun Run or The Basin.

Let's just go with this and see how it works out. Happy to change it if it doesn't work out after this weekend.

beer.gif
, and see some of you up there this weekend!

Flakey

First Runs
May 2, 2006
Melbourne

so the tough question is ... how will we identify each other?

For what it's worth, Yardsale and I will be up with Squidge (our 11 y.o. daughter) Monday to Sunday this week. We'll check in, where possible, around those times for any other Mooshers. We're very easy to spot ... just look for Yardy - 6'3", skinny, strawberry blond hair, khaki clad, telemarker. We're also on radio, so if you have one, give us a yell - channel 22
smile.gif

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

Black helmet, black carrera goggles, Red Spyder Jacket with white and black trim/highlights, black pants, red Raichle boots with yellow bits, cheap rental Fischer skis (greyish/light blue). Goode Poles.

Will try to post a photo here.

When it's hot weather I wear my brown and black Hotham windstopper jacket instead of the heavier spyder one.

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

A picture of me in my usual ski gear.
ho1000854.jpg

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Photo courtesy of Yardsale's video camera. Thanks, Yardy! </span>

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne

He walks around with that grin premanently etched on his face.

Cherry Ripe

A Local
Jun 23, 1999
melbourne

HOWEVER - beware of imitiations, insist on the real DC.

laugh.gif

Pied_Piper

First Runs
May 7, 2004
London

Anyone up there this week?

I have a mate who is up there for a whole week by himself, thought i might tell him about the moosh meet up oints if he wants to meet some others to ski with?

I am considering going up for the day on sat to join him.

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

I'll be up there this weekend, P-P. Missed you at SIC, hope you're not SICK anymore
beer.gif

speedracer

First Runs
Aug 9, 2007
harrietville

well i might be going to mo friday the 10th? if i go i will be looking out for others moo shers ! peace!

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

I'll be up this weekend, but staying in Bright. Watch out for me...
ho1000854.jpg

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Photo courtesy of Yardsale's video camera. Thanks, Yardy! </span>

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

Okay time to mothball this thread till next year. Hope some people did meet up as a result of this.
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass