Old Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Bogong, Dec 16, 2009.

1. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Is he riding an oversized red croc
    [​IMG]

2. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Christmas Day 1969 - Huge snow drift with fresh snow covering...! Mum and myself....

Karicta, The Bluff, Tanuki and 2 others like this.
  3. Marg Old Diana Lodge

LOL.... Dad was not a follower.... 'not having any new fangled machine... i have a work horse'.... oh... the embarrassment!

parkmonkey likes this.
  4. Marg Old Diana Lodge

I think this is Julian Brown skiing behind our boat on Rocky Valley about 1968....

5. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Summer 1968 - Highest point of the road looking toward an arm of Rocky Valley dam... Beeeeautiful!

6. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Icycles and slow slide off the lounge room roof at Diana Lodge 1969

Karicta and Budgiesmuggler like this.
  7. Marg Old Diana Lodge

The big slide off the roof at Diana Lodge about 1970-ish

Karicta, Budgiesmuggler and Bluebird like this.
  8. Marg Old Diana Lodge

I 'think' so Teckel -- check out the boots and safety straps !! eeepp....!! LOL

9. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Haha. Leather boots and safety straps. I remember them well :)

Marg Old Diana Lodge likes this.
  10. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Marg, thanks so much for the excellent photos and history. Really great stuff! Interesting that Kilimanjaro was built that early. What's John up to these days? Julian water skiing....well of course! Phenomenal yellow creation your mum is wearing in the car there in that Christmas Day shot. Tecks that is definitely Lorna and second from right I think is Gerhart standing next to Franz? Great photo of the lodges too. Not sure if that is the edge of Cooroona on the rhs but I recall there was a large open area between that and Riparoo (eventually). If you have more please post them!

11. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Or is that leather straps and kinky boots?

12. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Hi BillyKidd.... glad you liked my info, albeit a bit outta-whack... woops! I'm going on my own memory about Kilmanjaro... it was (back then...) a block of units on RHS as you head (on the straight bit of road) to the Bowl.... Mum & Dad's unit was no. 1 !! :)
    Both Mum & Dad have passed away.... Mum in 2008 and Dad in 2009.... My brother john scattered their ashes up on the High Plains (hope this doesn't creep people...?) they (Mum & Dad) are now where they loved...! then, not sure if you remember my brother, Chris.... he passed away last May... he never got over the death of his daughter (2013) whilst she was in Thailand. Emma contracted Denghi Fever...!! and then last November 5th, i lost my GORGEOUS daughter through complications during heart surgery....:-(
    The past few years have been so emotional.... it has been a very hard to keep my head together... but.... I am so happy i stumbled across this forum.... :)
    I know there is a multitude more pics... just have to set aside time to go through them all...!! take care.... and if you are 'up the Creek'.... think of me and have a drink to all the amazing people that made Falls Creek, as we knew it, a huge happy memory for us... ! i will know... :)

13. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Myself and my beautiful daughter, Kylie.... 1977 (near Kilmanjaro....) 1977.... don't ya just love my boots.... and the wide legged jeans.... OMG.... ! all the rage then !! LOL :)

14. Marg Old Diana Lodge

A more recent pic, 31.01.15, of myself (a very 'proud' Mum) and Kylie at her graduation from University... becoming a VERY much loved Primary School Teacher.... xx

15. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Well... i can sleep now....! i have remembered....!
    Mum & Dad's flat was in the Katmandu building....! NOT Kilmanjaro..... ahhhh... that feels so good.... !! :) it has been a long time since i as last there ! :)

currawong likes this.
  16. Marg Old Diana Lodge

17. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Hi Marg, I'm very sorry for your losses. Very unfair. I think your folks being up on the High Plains is the very best place. Didn't know Chris but those are great photos of you and your daughter. Very real treasures. I think Falls has changed a lot since those times, as is the way, and while I'm not looking to live in the past it was far less constrained, corporate wasn't even a word and it was more fun!!

18. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Update:....
    Mum & Dad's unit was in the Katmandu building... not.. Kilmanjaro.... my apologies.... :(
    It has been a VERY long time since i was last there and..... i was only young... ! LOL :)

19. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Hi BillyKidd....
    I would have to agree with you about the changes that have occurred at Falls.... :-(
    Life was a lot simpler & more carefree then.... this is a subject that i could go on about for a lo-o-o-ong time !
    but.... progress.... cannot not be stopped and there will always be people making 'their' memories in FC.... :)
    I moved to Perth January 1990.... and i love the 'slower' ways here (it is said... W.A. = Wait Awhile... LOL)
    I would LOVE to return to Falls Creek..... but too far and WAY too many people for me.....! (Summer was always my preferred season at Falls Creek) .... :) We live in a beautiful country !! :)

BillyKidd and stansi like this.
  20. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

It is a beautiful country in many parts that's for sure. Have never spent too much time in Perth, really only transiting there on my way to Leonora, Laverton and points beyond. Not too many people out there! LOL

21. Marg Old Diana Lodge

Well.... those places you mentioned are very remote! WA is such HUGE state with less population than Melbourne and I LOVE that....! :)
    For you to have visited those areas in WA, am I to assume / presume this was for work....?
    I worked for WesTrac (Caterpillar Mining Machinery) for 11 years, but my job was solely based in Perth.
    I have been here 27 years (Swan Valley for 10 years - beee-ooo-tiful...!) and I'm STILL exploring this side of the country and all it's very diverse scenery!
    I have been across the Nullabor 3 times - twice on my motorcycle.... NOT a lot out there either, but certainly a wonderful journey... :)
    Just the NT and Tassie to tick off my list now.... :)

22. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Yes, those areas was for work (Defence) and they always get you out into the most remote places...never bloody Tahiti or Gstaad. Fantastic areas through WA though I am led to believe, really only having seen parts of it from 30,000 feet odd or right on the deck but limited in the areas visited as it were. Would be keen to get to the south west forests and up to Shark Bay, northwest points and Kimberley regions. Doing it on a bike sounds the go! LOLLOLLOL

23. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Thanks so much Marg for sharing your memories, photos and experiences, and so much more. You must get back for a visit. It's about the same time as it will take me to visit my family in SW WA next week (MR region) and not that hard. Love seeing all these old pics and reminded me of the old hotel (Sundance ?). I remember all the bus drivers used to drop off the punters, hit the pub until they had to cook the barbie for lunch and then back to the pub until last lifts. Never took a bus as I knew how they filled in the day.

24. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Dedicated Member

The place was pleasantly quiet on the weekend just gone. I hadn't been up in the green season for a few years. The leaves are starting to colour up & there's a nip in the air.

Lots of cyclists and mtb riders but not at all busy. Next weekend is the three peaks so hopefully a few more people about.

A weekend in Falls is never enough.

Some great stories, photos and memories there @Marg Old Diana Lodge.

25. Karicta

Karicta Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I just can't believe that photo was taken in December!

Thx for sharing everything marg.

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Nice thread .I have enjoyed reading this.Love them pics.

27. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

"A weekend in Falls is never enough." So true, any season!

28. rob brasher

rob brasher Just Registered

Jon the pom?.....are you the John from Cornwall who met in La Plagne in about 1975/6...girlfriend Marion, gave Irish and myself a lift back to UK, came to Verbier in 1979...if so I'm at robrasher@gmail.com...Rob

29. JonthePom

JonthePom Active Member

That's the great thing about this forum.....turn your back for a few months and more names, memories and photos appear.
    Hallo Marg......sorry I could recall your family's name but you were definitely part of that tiny "establishment" who had made Falls their home. I don't know what you remember of me but I would have named you from any of your photos. Your pictures stir many memories and I certainly recognise your Mum & Dad. I'm so sorry to hear of the tragedies you've faced but hope sharing good the times from way back continues to help. WA was my home for two years before I found Falls Creek.....mainly on farms at Dalwallinu and Bridgetown but then I too did a spell "beyond" Laverton. Many, many friends around the state still - we'll be back to WA soon we hope..
    OK, Rob, if you'll admit to going under the name of Basha in the days I was Jon the Pom, then yes I'm the one who brought you and Irish back to England from La Plagne where we'd all had some great days skiing with Uncle Dick. Gerard was back working there.
    A story about false teeth rings true for Verbier......and some good times in Scotland too. We last heard you were living in Portsea.....but I'll write to your email address.

30. JonthePom

JonthePom Active Member

Re. the first tower of the Inter.Poma, I'm not sure what has happened over the years but I helped fit the "cotton reel" to the wheel. It was a compression assembly - i.e. held the cable down - and in the event of a bungled take-off there was a risk the cable could have been derailed and launched the victim skywards. This extension would have caught the cable.

Slalom likes this.
  31. JodiRockliff

JodiRockliff Just Registered

Hello, my father is Russell Rockliff and Julian Brown mentions him a few times in his book Falls Creek: How it Came to be.
    At some stage he owned the Diana Lodge, possibly the person before your parents did Marg. But he also used to play in a jazz band the Thunderbirds each season prior to owning it. I will upload some slides that I have but we have heaps and i can convert the slides to photos. My friends who have gone in the past come over to show dad what it's like now and there is a dam and a few other things still around that he built.

I found a spinet of an old The Age Newspaper from the 8th May 1967.
    FALLS CREEK PHONE 22 GO! WITH THE SNOW STAY AT DIANA LODGE The most swinging lodge on the mountain. Completely heated throughout. Live entertainment throughout the season. For more information phone or contact VICTOUR, 63 0202, Molony's 67 8428, or Direct to Russ Rockliff, DIANA LODGE, Falls Creek. Phone 14
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/122119191/

So my favour to ask is, it's my dad's birthday and I would love a copy of any old ads, post cards or anything historical from around 1961 to 1970 that I can give to him as a keep sake and in return i'm happy to send over what I have.

thanks Jodi

Majikthise, Ziggy and BillyKidd like this.
  32. JodiRockliff

Bluebird, Majikthise, Karicta and 4 others like this.
  33. JodiRockliff

34. Skipress

Skipress Active Member

Jodi I was a liftie and many other positions during my five winters at Falls. Diana/Russell made most of us very welcome and he was my first insight into how a ski lodge enhanced a Falls Creek winter holiday. Would love to catch up with your father whenever I'm in Melbourne.. Regards Ian Scoop Talbot skipress@wix.com.au

JodiRockliff likes this.
  35. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

I've gotta ask, what ever happened to the guy who used to play the squeezebox at the top of Cloud 9?

36. JodiRockliff

Thanks Ian, we are in Adelaide but ive given him your email. Dad just asked if he saw you at Julian's book launch??

37. gettingtooold

Season Pass Gold

Good question. He always made me smile.

currawong likes this.
  38. JodiRockliff

My dad said that was after his time so he didnt know

39. JodiRockliff

[QUOTE="JodiRockliff, post: 3358244, member: [/QUOTE]

Dad gave me these to add in and he also has the visitor's book from the time he was there.

40. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Anyone here remember the Losch family from the 70s and 80s ?

41. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

The last year that we saw him would have been around 2008 or 09 when picking the kids up from Snowclub. (I must be growing old or getting strange when you can enjoy that sort of music - Weird Al Yankovic has a lot to answer for).

42. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Great photos Jodi. I used to ski down that slope in front of Diana as a kid....well before the Sundance/Country Club was built. Love the shot of Hugh Hefner in the middle. :D

JodiRockliff likes this.
  43. gettingtooold

Season Pass Gold

Rarely ventured to that side of Falls since 07 when skiing with my was less experienced son. Very interested about his story as I thought he created a great ambience with his accordion playing and bell ringing.

44. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I haven't seen him playing accordion for a while but i see him around occassionally. I think he
    Iikes fishing around here as well as skiing.

45. Skipress

Skipress Active Member

JodiRockliff likes this.
  46. Skipress

Skipress Active Member

He's still around!!!

47. gettingtooold

Season Pass Gold

He's an absolute legend at Falls. Can someone tell me who he is as he has brightened up my days so much.

48. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

IIRC he's from Albury and his name is not particularly Austrian. i had a longish talk to him one day, but it turned into a bit of a whinge and i don't recall much. i'd much rather have him playing to the chairlift than having them play music on ruined castle to pump up people for the park

49. gettingtooold

Season Pass Gold

Thanks Curra.,and as far as the music? at RC going on, I just don't get it and it's bloody annoying.

50. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

The noise would scare the trout :eek: