1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Old Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Bogong, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Hully

Hully One of Us

His name is Karl...if IIRC he is actually Cechz but pretended he was Austrian. I think Lift Co and RMB stopped providing him with free resort entry and lift pass.

2. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

He hasn't been around that long...

Hully likes this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think Karl is his real name. He told me he was happy for them to call him that but his name was john or peter or something similar.

4. mr.heineken

mr.heineken First Runs

5. mr.heineken

mr.heineken First Runs

6. mr.heineken

mr.heineken First Runs

In the early '60s, can anyone remember the sunday nights at Diana Lodge drinking gluhwein around the old piano, also Diana was the post office and telephone exchange, and if you wanted to call an off mountain phone number, that was fine as long as it was before 6pm, because that's when the phone exchanged closed for the day

7. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

While folks are fishing for info on the old times... who can recall a lodge called Yeti, somewhere near the base of Inter.. up from the old Gebis... it was primarily used by RAAF members and families. Stayed there a few times. 1970s.

edit: found an old thread.. thanks @Bogong

8. BillyKidd

Yeti rings a bell but can't quite place it relative to Gebi's. Did it go when the Sundance was built?

9. VSG

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/old-falls-creek.34777/

Skyline was built on the quiet by hydro employees who privately obtained a lease of some land in the F.C. bowl. They didn't want this to be known by their boss, as one of them put it " Knowing Williams paranoia about skiing and other forms of enjoyment, it was decided to keep the building activity as secret as possible". So they located it amongst dense trees a fair way from anywhere. Of course Williams eventually found out about it and was furious, so he banned skiers from using the mess hut at Rocky Valley camp.

In the early 50's, Bob Hymans (a former pilot in the Royal Netherlands Navy who fought the Japanese in the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia) and was imprisoned in Changi and/or the Burma Railway), built his commercial Grande Coeur lodge nearby as well as Australia's first chairlift. But the town was developing on the other side of the valley and these were the only two lodges built on the northern slopes.

Anyway, Grand Coeur burnt down in 1961. Hymans only died a year or two ago. Skyline Lodge eventually passed to the RAAF ski club before being demolished. I don't know when it came down, but I'm surprised to learn that it lasted well into the 1970's.

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

Ziggy likes this.
  10. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Bob Hymans operated Four Seasons Lodge, 1 Falls Creek Rd
    IMGhttps://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5551/14884256278_968e59189f_b.jpg/IMG
    Skyline

[​IMG]
    HISTORY-MAKER: Skyline, the first ski club lodge built on Falls Creek, was constructed 70 years ago amid secrecy. It was demolished in the 1970s but its impact on alpine tourism was profound. Picture: MEYER FAMILY COLLECTION

SNOW holidaymakers celebrating the ski season opening this weekend might want to spare a thought for a long gone timber building.

Skyline Ski Club Lodge deserves pondering, because when it opened in 1947 it was the first accommodation at Falls Creek for snow sport devotees.

“It was the start of the village, effectively, for visitors,” Falls Creek Museum curator Karen Smythe says.

“You had a lot of people come up individually and you had some stay in SEC huts, but this was the first step in coming up for weekends and holidays and eventually creating the village that people live in today.”

There was an air of secrecy surrounding the building of the lodge which occurred at the time the Kiewa hydro-electric scheme was being built.

Hydro chief HHC Williams had frozen past skiers’ plans, so six SEC workers covertly coined the lodge with one of them, chief surveyor Ray Meyer, obtaining a 99-year lease from a titles office in Melbourne.

His son John Meyer said his family lived at Bogong Village, built for the hydro scheme workers, from 1947 to 1953.

“The Skyline really broke the ice, there was a resistance to a lodge being built before then,” Mr Meyer said.

The lodge featured a kitchen, toilet, shower and two bedrooms with bunk beds.

Construction was done at night and on weekends with the name coming from one of the workers proclaiming: “This is my favorite skyline”.

[​IMG]
    Palatial: The revamped Astra Lodge which will have a grand opening this weekend as part of the ski season beginning.

With the development of the International Poma in the 1970s, the Skyline lodge, which was sited between the ski-lift’s pole one and two, was demolished.

Today, Mrs Smythe says, its location can only be determined in summer time by the distinct flat bed of land it occupied.

However, Skyline’s legacy is reflected in the 5500 rooms of accommodation which have bloomed on Falls Creek in the 70 years since.

[​IMG]
    CUPPA ANYONE: Ski club members enjoy refreshment in the Skyline lodge in the years after it was completed in 1947. Picture: MEYER FAMILY COLLECTION

Balcony spas, saunas and televisions in every bedroom show how lodging has gone from simple to sophisticated.

Astra Lodge, which last year was named Australia’s best boutique ski lodge, will have its latest extension unveiled as part of this weekend’s opening.

Radio character HG Nelson will emcee and former Cold Chisel guitarist Ian Moss will entertain guests.

[​IMG]
    Compare and contrast: The living area of the Astra Lodge is much more spacious than the Skyline lodge which kickstarted staying on the mountain for skiing.

Among the fanfare, the resort’s history will be remembered with funds from an auction to go towards the Falls Creek Museum.

Mrs Smythe is delighted by that move and notes the museum features picture boards telling the story of Skyline.

A commemoration of the 70th anniversary, including the possible unveiling of a plaque, will be held at Falls Creek on August 12.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4717209/humble-lodge-stirred-accommodation-rush/

11. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

I stayed at 4 Seasons some years ago, when Bob was still host, a delightful man interested in Baw Baw's beginnings

Apresski likes this.
  12. VSG

This finally gels wth my recollections. Thanks @Bogong "... Skyline Lodge eventually passed to the RAAF ski club before being demolished."

13. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Bogong, sadly, hasn't been on here for 3 years and 30 weeks according to his profile.

14. VSG

Doesnt mean I cannot thank him. I was aware. :)

Chaeron likes this.
  15. JodiRockliff

JodiRockliff Hard Yards

I read Dad your message and he was the Postmaster, Telephone Operator and the Sheriff of Falls Creek when it belonged to State Electricity Trust. So more than likely you were drinking with my Dad while he played on the pianola that his Mother, my Grandmother gave to him.

16. BillyKidd

Bob did have Four Seasons lodge for a very long time. Son Eric was there on and off and Bob's former wife has written in these forums over the last 3 or 4 years.

17. currawong

Bob also had Southern Cross, uphill from Four Seasons, on the top side of Christie St. Eric still lives in Mt Beauty

18. JonthePom

JonthePom Hard Yards

I'm pretty sure Skyline/Yeti didn't make to the seventies. The Inter. Poma was built for 1969 but we didn't operate it until 1970. If the lodge was in the liftline it must have gone by then. But I do remember being told that one of the other clubs salvaged some of the timber.....so maybe some of that piece of history lives on?
    As do some of us.....Gerard Paviet, employed by Bill Bridgeford from La Plagne in France, and I worked together for Alpine in 70/72....we last met in France over forty years ago......and he and his wife are coming to stay with us tomorrow. More nostalgia is forecast!

19. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

More pics to post?

20. JonthePom

JonthePom Hard Yards

Yes, I was right, much nostalgia! Poor Elaine, Gerard's wife as we rattled though memories of 1970 Falls - literally down to the nuts and bolts we tightened together and concrete we shovelled. Gerard says I'm wrong and that Skyline was still there after the Inter. Poma opened - which means it wasn't actually in the lift line but set back in the trees a little above and to the right. That means it did survive into the 70s.

21. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

22. Kletterer

VSG likes this.
  23. Kletterer

24. Kletterer

1983 My mate local resident Chriss Losch tucking into monster bumps on da Summit

BillyKidd, VSG and Chaeron like this.
  25. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

The snow is about that high at the moment in front of Fryers - about 1' from the gutters.

Kletterer likes this.
  26. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

Hi all, I’m after a photo of the Eagle Chair when it was orange with the blue POMA graphics. More detail the better. Hoping someone has one in their archives (or Gully chair as I remember it was originally the same colour/graphics used). Thanks in advance.

27. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

A few pics from my parents album - early/mid 60s

dibl0c, Pademelon, Whiteman and 3 others like this.
  28. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

29. Andrew McCallum

Andrew McCallum Hard Yards

Hi Bogong, My name is Andrew McCallum. Not sure if you are still interested in Ron McCallum, but he is my Dad, and still going well at 94 yrs old. Lives with me now. All you said above was true, and he did manufacture and erect the Sun Valley T-bar and first Gully Chair, although some of the components were Doppelmayr. My brother David and I are about to start interviewing him, mainly about the old Ski-tow days 50s-90s. Should make for interesting reading, and will make it available to the Museum at Falls. My email is bugatti37a@gmail.com if anyone wants to contact us. Sorry to hear about Erik H recently.

30. currawong

@Bogong, in case you didn't see it

31. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Stumbled across some old slides taken by my father and scanned to the hard drive, dating from 1959.
    My father worked on the McKay Ck power station.

Bogong Village

Father and brothers on Bogong

Brother on Bogong in 2016

32. MIROU

MIROU First Runs

33. MIROU

MIROU First Runs

Good day to all from Bob Hymans's ex-wife.

I have been writing in this forum trying to correct some story about Bob that seemed to go around and which is totally wrong . His real story is the following :
    1.- Bob died on July 7 2007 , which is pretty easy to remember .
    2.- Bob has never been a pilot, born in 1923 he was only a teenager when the 2nd world wide war broke up, he ran away from his parents to enroll in the Dutch Navy as a young boy (we call them "Mousse" in French) he had no military background whatso ever. The ship he had been attached too was attacked by the japanese and drown, he was made prisoner by the japanese, then after a short time in the Singapour harbour painting japanese letters on some wooden boxes, he then was moved to the Burma railway which he helped "build' with other prisoners and they all end up in the well known prisoners's camp on the River Quay (spelling ?) ....... as everyone knows they were ill-treated, beaten, the japanese experiment medecine on them, and many others tortures, which of cause on a 18 yrs old teenager had some bad effects which he carried all his life ... ...

Bob and I lived year round at Falls Creek, first in a wooden hut, where we had water from a pipe that Bob and pushed down a spring, and eletricity from a small engine producing 32 volt electricity and were cooking, ironing with appliances using kerosine ..... In summer Falls Creek was a dead place but Bob took advantage of that situtation and our place was entirely rebuilted into a large place with proper rooms, lounge, toilets, showers, etc and we named it "Grand Coeur Chalet", in souvenir of the place where we met in France while skying ! At that time, early fifties, Falls was absolutely unknown . Bob did and imagine all kind of things to make it known, also it was unknown that there was skying /snow in Australia ... Whatever Bob did he had to have the authorization from Mr William because Falls was the property of the Electric company (SES or something like it?) . Thru another Mr. Williams, of the Tourist Bureau in Sydney, he was helped to make Falls Creek and its skying area known ....
    When I was living in Falls, not only there were no one else, but also there was no road, almost no other constructions : a very small chalet belonging to Mr. Brigdfort (spelling?), a wooden hut made into a small grocery store during the season run and lived in by Orest and Cecil - Cecil Dobson who before lived with us - and at the botton of the Frying Pan another wooden hut lived in by Skippy and her husband who were running a rope-lift to the top of Frying Pan, and sometime later, also at the bottom of Frying Pan Bernard and Trudy built their chalet. Trudy has been the first woman giving birth (by herself!) to a little boy during the ski season at a time when we were snowed-in, meaning no access in or out .... About a couple of years before Bernard had come to Falls to give a hand to Bob and Trudy (14yrs then) came to help me with my children, Eric being the third one . They were a group of Austrian, Trudy with her parents, her mother and anorher woman as cook for Bob's chalet, her father and his friend Bernard and another guy called Mark among the guys who worked building the "new" chalet .... That's also how Alberto Costa came from Trieste, Italy, to Falls at 19yrs; and somme others guys whom I have forgotten their names unfortunately .

I also like to mention that Diana Lodge was built close and across the road from our place by Kevin Shoobridge (spelling?) the chemist from Mount Beauty, and that was just before I returned to Belgium, Europe.

I lived in Falls Creek from 1954 to 1959, so most of the photos and stories you are telling are from after I left to go home to my parents .

Many things written in the book about my son Eric are also not the reality ....

I must admit that after the latest happenings, I have felt great pains and been hurt, although I have been away from Falls for so very long, it is still part of my own life and seeing "all the bull sh... "(excuse the language but there are no other words) people can write, tell, etc, it is very upsetting !

By the way Eric died on 9/9/2018, up around Falls, my daughters have put plates one for Bob, another one for Eric, they are not at the same place .

Now excuse my English which no doubt is very poor actually, but not using it and being 87 yrs I cannot do better .

Mirou - as I am called in this Forum, which probably I do not use properly, but there again ... !

34. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Welkom en bedankt.