1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Old Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Bogong, Dec 16, 2009.

1. fallsskier1186

fallsskier1186 Hard Yards

Tanuki and TC like this.
  2. fallsskier1186

A few old pictures.

The first one is the Gully chair before it was converted to a triple chair.

The second one is from the Falls Museum, and is a village map from around 70s/80s before the village t-bar was removed.

The third one is a plan of the Inter Poma also from the museum.

Attached Files:

TC likes this.
  3. fallsskier1186

I am curious to know if anyone would be interested in collaborating on a book of the history of Falls Creek.
    It is very hard for people to get this information and it is mainly being lost now.
    Unfortunately, I live in rural New South Wales, but collaboration by email may be possible.
    I have collected a lot of photographs and maps over the years, which can be used in the book.
    I know a lot about the lifts at falls, but not much before the 70s.

Doesn’t have to be a bestseller or anything, could just have a few copies for sale at the museum?

Squid and Tanuki like this.
  4. teckel

teckel Not a Loser Ski Pass: Gold

Paging @Bogong

currawong likes this.
  5. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

Hi! my nickname is Mirou just read your query ..... I am Mireille de Mulder and was Bob Hymans's wife in the late 1950s and we lived year long in Falls Creek, now I am 89yrs old and am in my birth country "Belgium"..... as you can imagine I am not able to use these new techniques about sending photos thru my pc !!!!!!! but I have old family photos taken in Falls Creek in those days, more specially when I arrived in Falls in 1954 and Bob's chalet was just a wooden hut ! with barely no comfort .....in those days everything was so strange to me ..... so backward from what I was used to ....... luckily enough Australia is totally another country actually, one you can all be very proud of your country .....

If I do not mistake you are living in rural country ? are you a "horse" man ? or what do you do if I may ask, I love rural life and environment ..... I have run away from big cities and since the 1990 I lived in the Belgian "Ardennes" in a lost village with my dog (unfortunately they do not live as long as we so I have had several) could not be without one !

Oh! well I talk too much, and my English is very poor nowadays, sorry.

Mirou

6. fallsskier1186

Love that you are so curious.

I have always loved cattle. I used to live on a cattle farm at Nelse, just near Falls Creek, until grazing licenses were removed in 2005.
    I am currently a stud farmer, so I breed cattle for show and sometimes for beef. I live in a very small area called Cooplacurripa (weird name), about a 5 hour drive North West from Sydney.

It would be wonderful if you could write a bit about Bob Hyman for me, his chairlift at Falls was the first in Australia, definitely something worth putting in the book!

Chaeron likes this.
  7. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

8. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

Now it's 1.52 a.m. here, was just checking before going up to bed if you had replied ..... it seems crazy to start exchanging "news" !!!! I can already tell you that I left Australia just when Bob was starting to elaborate his "lift project" ...... but will be back tomorrow at a more decent time for me ...... M.

9. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

10. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

Mirou again ! didn't forget you ..... Regarding the lift I have nothing, but I have some old photos of "Grand Coeur Chalet", being built .... in other words nothing of much interest, so I have contacted both my girls to see if they had anything interesting ..... they still go to Australia - I do not travel anymore - where we have family and acquaintances (sp?) - Bob and Eric my son have both passed away, the girls might have collected some "souvenirs" ..... sorry ! I might be one of the last ones still living from that period but I am of no help, alas .... Cecil Dobson also passed away lately, but Alberto Costa who I think is still around somewhere in Mt Beauty, also perhaps John (Irish), a friend of my older daughter ... who probably knows about the ski lift(s?) because both worked for Bob .....

I have not been of help but I enjoyed chatting with you . M.