Old Hotham

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
4,159
7,262
363
Melbourne
hothamite said:
Oh! my!!
Its wonderful to see the mountain as it used to be !

I haven't posted here for a very long time and I see that my photos pop up!!

On post # 710904 from trappers, I have these postcards .I have # 2 and #4
On the post # 710910 , #1 and 3 are old postcards that I have and the photos # 4 & 5 are mine!!

I scanned these a long time ago for a thread here on Hotham in 1980, when we had an exceptional snow year.
The two guys in the photo are a friend of mine and the lodge manager at the time.
They were skiing off the roof of Vagabond Lodge onto our roof.

The Snowbird was amazing that year.To get into the building , there were steps up to an entrance through one of the upstairs bedrooms!!
Great days!!
May they come again...please!!



if my memory serves me correctly, 1981 was the massive snow year ?

it was a while ago now
smile.gif
but i think 1980 wasn't that good
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: hothamite

dickyknees63

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2006
95
35
68
58
Adelaide
Yep, 1981 was a massive year. My first trip to the snow as a 1st year uni student. Could not believe it! Stayed at Razorback and had to fall/crawl down a tunnel through the snow to get in the front door. Amazing. Have not seen snow in Aust like it since. Certainly remember the old Brockhoff poma with affection.
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: hothamite

Highlander

Hard Yards
Jan 11, 2006
84
1
58
60
Victoria
Ahhh the memories,
I remember a tunnel down to aaaaaaardvark.
and yep dickyknees63..that poma would pick you up and spit you out..and heaven help you if you had to cowardly make your way back to the que.I think the smell of diesel is still fantastic..as it reminds me of days gone by at Hotham, (well diesel and Brut 33).I have some SLIDES of that year, with an incredible amount of snow on top of long term parked cars.
 

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
5,898
4,364
563
54
vic
Great shots thanks guys - fascinating!

I know 81' is an exception but you look at the old Hotham shots and think of skiing in the 60s & 70s as relatively basic but fun and cheap. Now there's heaps of 4 star accom, heated driveways, cafes, padded-seated quads, parks and groomers, and the lift tickets cost almost a day's wages for many people.

...sort of makes you wonder as to whether things we're better back then???

Of course since I started skiing in 85' and Hotham from about 91' I can ony speculate.
 
P

PolePlant

Guest
Some old hotham pics off my fathers Kodachromes.
All from the 50s I beleive

Posted some ages ago in the Buller Olden Days thread too.

A view across the Razorback to Mt Feathertop
HothamView.jpg


Hotham Heights (about 1948)
HothamHeights.jpg


The Gallows

GallowsHotham.jpg


View to Feathertop (fancy signage)
FeathertopFromHotham.jpg


Drift Chalet (soon after 1953)
DriftChalet.jpg


Drift Chalet (Lounge)
DriftLounge.jpg


Drift Chalet (Dinning room)
DriftDiningRoom.jpg


Enjoy
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SideStreet

Part of the Furniture
May 14, 2009
17,113
164
663
121
Planet Earth
I remember 1981 was a cracker of a year.

I was heli skiing in NZ....Bloody brilliant!
woohoo.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Peejay

Hard Yards
May 11, 2005
275
15
68
65
Adelaide
How about these oldies. I think they were about 68 or 69.

ThatsHotham.jpg


x15.jpg


Snowedin-1.jpg


Lottasnow.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
P

PolePlant

Guest
Lorem ipsum said:
Great stuff PP! Where's the gallows? Don't recognise it.

I think it was at Hotham
Bogong might be able to answer that.

ED
I notice there is a "Gallows Court" street name at Hotham
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
45,097
398
2,963
nowhere in particular...
Good Stuff, Pole Plant!
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for sharing!

I like pics of the Drift Lodge - that has been my on-mountain accom whenever I can get in (have friends who are members).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
12,792
4,443
813
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Drift Chalet was built circa 1950 by Lindsay Salmon. Sergeant Salmon was an instructor in the Australian Ski Corps who fought the French in the mountains of Syria and Lebanon in the early 1940's. After the war he returned to Australia and set up a ski school based at Mt Hotham.

Initially he operated the ski school out of the Hotham Heights Chalet, but other lodges sprung up including Alpine Club of Vic (1946), Wang SC (1946) University SC (c.1947) Edelweiss (c.1948). So Hotham was booming, but these clubs only offered accommodation to members and their cronies. The Hotham Heights Chalet was open to the public but was always booked out 6 months in advance, so Salmon built his commercial Drift Chalet (near a spring to ensure reliable water supply).

I think he sold out in the early 1960's. The members of CSIR Ski Club had been illegally sleeping on the floor of the CosRay Hut and would have been grateful for the upgrade to decent beds and heating.

The Drift Chalet is the third oldest surviving building at Hotham and the oldest commercial lodge. It is a very historic building and any pressure from greenies to bulldoze it has to be resisted!

EDIT. I've done some further reading: Salmon put Drift Chalet on the market at an asking price of about $70,000 in late 1972 or early 1973. CSIR SC started negotiations and later bought it for $42,000, which was still a pretty big amount for the time.
 
P

PolePlant

Guest
Thanks for the info Bogong

Dont suppose you know the story of "The Gallows" shot.
 

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
12,792
4,443
813
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
PolePlant said:
Thanks for the info Bogong

Dont suppose you know the story of "The Gallows" shot.
Nup, apart from the aforementioned Gallows Court street name in Davenport village, I have no idea.

I've been trying to work out where that photo was taken and it reminds me of Eskdale Spur on Mt Bogong, but considering the context of being amongst Hotham photos, this would be unlikely.

As for the dates of the first set of B&W photos, Hotham Heights had major extensions put on in 1956 - 57 so it could get a hotel licence, so they would have to be taken between 1939 and 1956.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

VSG

Crayon Master
Moderator
Jan 1, 1998
70,394
7,342
1,525
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Bogong said:
Drift Chalet was built circa 1948 by Lindsay Salmon. Sergeant Salmon was an instructor in the Australian Ski Corps who fought the French in the mountains of Syria and Lebanon in the early 1940's. ...

In a strange way, reminds me of staying at a small hut in the vicinity of the inter poma at FC, in the 70s. I think it was caled RAAF Hut. RAAF folks stayed there.

Bogong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bean

One of Us
Jun 19, 2003
1,526
38
198
58
NE Melbourne
Visit site
Bogong said:
Initially he operated out of the Hotham Heights Chalet, but other lodges soon began springing up including Alpine Club of Vic (1946), Wang SC (1946) University SC (c.1947) Edelweiss (c.1948).
My father was involved with the building of University SC. I remember finding a box of old photo's, a number of them showing the frame and structure going up. I'll try and post them here, if I can find them
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
12,792
4,443
813
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
VSG said:
Bogong said:
Drift Chalet was built circa 1950 by Lindsay Salmon. Sergeant Salmon was an instructor in the Australian Ski Corps who fought the French in the mountains of Syria and Lebanon in the early 1940's. ...

In a strange way, reminds me of staying at a small hut in the vicinity of the inter poma at FC, in the 70s. I think it was caled RAAF Hut. RAAF folks stayed there.

Bogong?
Rather than derail this Hotham thread, I've answered your question in a new Old Falls Creek thread.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drift

Hard Yards
Jan 16, 2010
9
1
53
PP - I was looking up history on Mt Hotham when I came across this forum. With regards to the pics - I not sure where the hut is, have not seen that one before maybe a CRB hut. A 'View somewhere on Hotham' is looking across the Razorback to Mt Feathertop (In the clouds). Hotham Heights Hotel would be about 1948. Great photo of what used to be my home - The Drift Chalet. Must have been taken just after the opening in 1952, I was three and a half years old. The gallows was always on the bend about one mile from Hotham Heights. It is just below the summit, before what is now the Loch car park. I could never remember what the significance was, I think somebody may have died there, but can't remember the story. The photo may be of the gallows and that is the summit of Hotham at the top. It does not look right though and may be taken in the dip near Little Baldy. It was also the area where food supplies were dropped off when the weather was too harsh for horse and sledge to go any further?

My father 'Lindsay Salmon' did not operate the Hotham Heights Chalet, he helped build the Alpine Club and stayed there in the winter months while he was building the Drift Chalet and running his ski school.

I am writing a manuscript about my father and including the history of the Mt Hotham ski resort. Just a long shot if anybody has any recollections of the early days 1950-1973 - I would love to hear from you. But sad to say there are very few left from that era.

I have Bill Spargo's photo album from 1927 - I tried to post a photo but had noluck! When I find out how to do it,I will post some old photos of Hotham.

 

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
40,664
7,523
1,525
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Drift said:
PP - I was looking up history on Mt Hotham when I came across this forum. With regards to the pics - I not sure where the hut is, have not seen that one before maybe a CRB hut. A 'View somewhere on Hotham' is looking across the Razorback to Mt Feathertop (In the clouds). Hotham Heights Hotel would be about 1948. Great photo of what used to be my home - The Drift Chalet. Must have been taken just after the opening in 1952, I was three and a half years old. The gallows was always on the bend about one mile from Hotham Heights. It is just below the summit, before what is now the Loch car park. I could never remember what the significance was, I think somebody may have died there, but can't remember the story. The photo may be of the gallows and that is the summit of Hotham at the top. It does not look right though and may be taken in the dip near Little Baldy. It was also the area where food supplies were dropped off when the weather was too harsh for horse and sledge to go any further?

My father 'Lindsay Salmon' did not operate the Hotham Heights Chalet, he helped build the Alpine Club and stayed there in the winter months while he was building the Drift Chalet and running his ski school.

I am writing a manuscript about my father and including the history of the Mt Hotham ski resort. Just a long shot if anybody has any recollections of the early days 1950-1973 - I would love to hear from you. But sad to say there are very few left from that era.

I have Bill Spargo's photo album from 1927 - I tried to post a photo but had noluck! When I find out how to do it,I will post some old photos of Hotham.
Hi Drift, and welcome to the forums!

To post a photo you need to have it on the internet somewhere. I can show you how to do that if you have not already put the photos online. It is very easy. Probably best if we discuss off line to avoid disrupting the thread. I've sent you a private message (you should see a flashing envelope near the top of the page) click on that and I'll guide you through the process if you would like. I (for one) would love to see some of old Bill's photos!
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
P

PolePlant

Guest
Drift
Thanks for the guide on those shots.
(I might edit and mark the shots with your notes)
More pics would be great.
 

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
12,792
4,443
813
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Excellent work Drift, it's exciting that you are working on this manuscript.
smile.gif


As you have probably gathered, I'm a bit of a ski history fan. The paragraph I wrote on Drift Chalet was based on things I've read in sources like Ski Horizon, Schuss, ski yearbooks and Hotham club histories, but I'd be the first to agree that they aren't always totally accurate.

Send me a message if there is any way I can help you, if I can lend you Hotham club histories, look up dates and facts or stuff like editing, the book structure and proof reading (I've done this with a few best selling mountain history books).

It's great news that your father's impressive contribution will be recorded.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
40,664
7,523
1,525
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Ok, "Drift" has sent me a whole pile of pictures from Bill Spargo's photo album ... it is 43C outside today so looking at these is almost agony!
biggrin.gif



Hotham 1927 (I think)








Looking towards Feathetop




Not quite sure where this is? perhaps around the top of Mary's or Watershed?








Looking from Hotham to Mt Higginbotham




Looking towards mt Hotham




Australia Drift (and if you look carefully you will see a partly burried Drift chalet!)




Again looking towards Australia Drift












Drift has some more photos (I think) and when she emails them to me I'll put them up
smile.gif


The pics are here: http://www.owithalinethroughit.com/gallery/v/j3/BillSpargoPhotoAlbum/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: hothamite

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
12,792
4,443
813
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Hut.jpg

Poleplant there are at least three possibilie scenarios for that hut's origin.

- An old CRB hut. But it doesn't look like any of the others along the Great Alpine Road past or present.

- An SEC cube. Work was radically downsized on the nearby Kiewa hydro scheme c.1952 when money ran out. Afterwards surplus survey and shelter huts were sold dirt cheap and many grazing families bought them and transported them to their runs. There would be nothing to stop a ski club doing the same. But it doesn't look like their iron hut design, more like their wood huts. So it probably isn't ex SEC.

- However I think it's a railway portable building. When Hotham Heights burnt down in Jan 1939, it was rebuilt in just 4 months. The railways (who were the hotel managers) housed the builders in their standard portable buildings. The chalet was to be extended the following summer, but the outbreak of World War II put everything on hold. If these portables survived the war on site, they could have been easily moved around the resort, especially after they sold Hotham Heights in 1952.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drift

Hard Yards
Jan 16, 2010
9
1
53
Bogong and PP
I have another idea for the Hut, that is if you think it is at Hotham. If you knew what year it was that would help...but it could be a race hut. They held races on the 'Varsity Drag' which is where the blue ribbon tow is/was, not sure what it is called now! The run started almost at the top of Higgy. Looks like it could be the side of Higgy above University Ski Club. These skiers could be competing. They would have to have had a hut as they had competitors form all ski resorts as well as Tasmania. Also could be a hut at the top of the rope tow, but I think it may have been before tows. Since there are no trees it would have to be Higgy or Hotham. If it was a road works hut or builders hut it would be in a more sheltered position, well then it could be anywhere, I will give it some more thought.
 

Drift

Hard Yards
Jan 16, 2010
9
1
53
Trappers - I had thought it could be the Blowhard as well. If you look at the first two photos and the fifth and the seventh (the ones you posted for me)- looking up to the summit of Hotham there are two raised mounds on the side of Hotham. These were called the 'Pimples' it's an area where the builders collected rocks to build the club houses with and rock was quaried there for the Drift Chalet. The quary was also used by the CRB of course.
It was beside the road but in winter of course the road was not cleared. I have not seen a photo of the quary in summer but maybe there was a hut there on the high side. These Pimples were flattened when they put the tunnel over the road and built the new chair lift. The skiers don't seem to have any back packs so I am assuming they are out skiing for the day - there are not enough clues really.
 
P

PolePlant

Guest
Sorry Guys but Ive thrown a dead ball there.

Just found out what and where the Hut is.
Not Hotham
In fact it is the old lookout hut from the Summit of Buller.
Held down by fencing wire.
Now replaced by stone hut.

Got it mixed up as the black and whites are mostly Hotham and the Buller ones in the thread are color.
So Ill move that one to the Old Buller Thread with the others.
 

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
2,548
42
198
51
Front Seat, left hand side
PolePlant said:
Sorry Guys but Ive thrown a dead ball there.

Just found out what and where the Hut is.
Not Hotham
In fact it is the old lookout hut from the Summit of Buller.
Held down by fencing wire.
Now replaced by stone hut.

Got it mixed up as the black and whites are mostly Hotham and the Buller ones in the thread are color.
So Ill move that one to the Old Buller Thread with the others.

So, I am confused..thats a picture of Buller...with snow, only a handful of people in the picture, and no blatant advertising...surely they could have sold the naming rights to that hut, installed a snow gun, put a bus carpark in or something !!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
P

PolePlant

Guest
Rover said:
PolePlant said:
Sorry Guys but Ive thrown a dead ball there.

Just found out what and where the Hut is.
Not Hotham
In fact it is the old lookout hut from the Summit of Buller.
Held down by fencing wire.
Now replaced by stone hut.

Got it mixed up as the black and whites are mostly Hotham and the Buller ones in the thread are color.
So Ill move that one to the Old Buller Thread with the others.

So, I am confused..thats a picture of Buller...with snow, only a handful of people in the picture, and no blatant advertising...surely they could have sold the naming rights to that hut, installed a snow gun, put a bus carpark in or something !!

They did eventually.
(there is a carpark at the bottom of the summit in summer)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
2,548
42
198
51
Front Seat, left hand side
PolePlant said:
Rover said:
PolePlant said:
Sorry Guys but Ive thrown a dead ball there.

Just found out what and where the Hut is.
Not Hotham
In fact it is the old lookout hut from the Summit of Buller.
Held down by fencing wire.
Now replaced by stone hut.

Got it mixed up as the black and whites are mostly Hotham and the Buller ones in the thread are color.
So Ill move that one to the Old Buller Thread with the others.

So, I am confused..thats a picture of Buller...with snow, only a handful of people in the picture, and no blatant advertising...surely they could have sold the naming rights to that hut, installed a snow gun, put a bus carpark in or something !!

They did eventually.
(there is a carpark at the bottom of the summit in summer)
I think they did all that....
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bean

One of Us
Jun 19, 2003
1,526
38
198
58
NE Melbourne
Visit site
Finally found these old pic's at the old mans place. My father was an avid skier back in the 40's and early 50's.

A friend of my fathers, back in 1947 at Hotham
Hotham_skier_1947.jpg


The trek into Hotham.
The_trek_into_Hotham_1947.jpg


I've got a box of 100's of pic's to sort through. And there's dozens of Hotham and Buller. As I scan them, I'll get him to give me an idea of when and where the pic's were taken. Some look fantastic. The things they used to get up to back then, we would consider crazy
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
P

PolePlant

Guest
Excelent Bean, looking forward to them..
Probably already know it but there is an Olden Days at Buller thread in the Buller forum.
 

Mr Bean

One of Us
Jun 19, 2003
1,526
38
198
58
NE Melbourne
Visit site
Thanks chaps.

And a few more.

The drive to the mountains. My father thinks it was Tawonga Gap area, but it looks like Buller ahead. Not sure. Note the back packs tied onto the back of the car. No room in the car
smile.gif
And the approach was to "....drive as far as you could in the snow, then ski in.....". No 4WD, no chains, that's it.

The_drive_to_the_mountains_late_40s.jpg


University Ski Club in the process of being built. Some years ago, I did find his name (and his sisters) in a log book that dated 1950 or so.
Uni_ski_lodge_late_40s.jpg


This looks more like Buller. He did spend some time up there in the early 50's. Note the poor snow. That's probably Buller then
wink.gif

Buller_perhaps_1950.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bean

One of Us
Jun 19, 2003
1,526
38
198
58
NE Melbourne
Visit site
My father still has the old skis in the attic. He tells me tales of skiing in the races at Hotham, starting at the top of Big D, heading across the road (as it was snow covered in those days), and down Varsity Drag. At the end, his legs were jelly
smile.gif


I'll keep digging and scanning
wink.gif


Enjoy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
P

PolePlant

Guest
Mr Bean said:
Thanks chaps.

And a few more.

Speaking of cover at Buller back then.
This looks more like Buller. He did spend some time up there in the early 50's. Note the poor snow. That's probably Buller then
wink.gif

Buller_perhaps_1950.jpg

Great pics.
Good shot of Uni club.
I stayed there in my early teens a few times. (70s)

My father tells me that there was good snow at Baw Baw in the 40's and 50's and he used to go there but then in the late 50s and 60's Buller had better coverage and Baw Baw was in decline, they YHA moved to skiing Buller late 50s.
Makes me wonder if Baw Baw was good back then maybe Buller wasnt so good in the early 50's
Be interested to know if that was your fathers experience too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bean

One of Us
Jun 19, 2003
1,526
38
198
58
NE Melbourne
Visit site
PP, my father spent most of his skiing time at Hotham and some at Buller. Not sure if he got to Baw Baw, but I'll ask.

Scanned a few more. I don't have much info on them.

Skier at Hotham, late 40's.
Hotham_skier_late_40s.jpg


Skiers at Hotham resting, late 40's.
Hotham_skiers_resting_late_40s.jpg



This one's got me puzzled. Not sure what the structure is or where, but it looks like Feathertop.
Structure_at_Hotham_late_40s.jpg


Uni ski lodge. Unfortunately, the moths had got to this one. I'll get around to fixing up the pic.
Uni_ski_lodge_late_40s_2.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
P

PolePlant

Guest
Mr Bean said:
Not sure what the structure is or where, but it looks like Feathertop.
Structure_at_Hotham_late_40s.jpg

Interesting

Note one of the images I posted previous page called The Gallows.
GallowsHotham.jpg


Similar structure but looks like a different spot in your pic.
Or the its the same thing taken from the opposite direction.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Log in

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass