1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Old NZ Heli-skiing footage

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Heinz, Oct 26, 2014.

1. nzway

nzway First Runs

Not to rehash an old subject, but you are correct, and I will go one further, he and his partner skied #1, and #2 in the first ever Power 8's.

2. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Finally got around to resuming this thread with another video.

This one was from 9th August 1990 in the North Buchanans.

Starting off on Eostre, then around Dragons tail, Alberts Burn, the coming back to Stag peak and finishing on Moliefes.

This one has a bit of Powder 8's action mentioned earlier. That year there were 2 Austrian pairs there. One of them was having a warm up day prior to the competition and you see them in the first part. They were a class above the other skiers out that day.

This was again all filmed by Ross McMillan. He skied with one group to start with then switched to our group later. Also apparent watching this again now was that they still at that stage looked to be operating with 2 load groups. This was probably the last year they did so as the 1991 video I started with was certainly a single load only which has been the case ever since.

Flying that day was Bill Sargeson who tragically was killed in a crash I think (not heliskiing) several years later.

Guides in the first part were Paul Scaife and Trevor Streat. You do see Paul at one point do a bit of 'old school' avalanche control. They certainly don't do it like that any more.

Then guiding in the latter part was Nick Cradock who I would ski with quite a bit in the 90's.

From my notes the best skiing that day was off the top of Stag peak in the afternoon. Brilliant long run, good pitch and consistent 30cm powder. You can see at other times the snow was a little more variable which did catch you out a bit.

The Powder 8's comp was on the following day. I think the guys in the video were runners up to the other Austrian pair. The presentation was that evening at the Edgewater hotel. Some of us regular clients and guides joined the Austrians for a fun night. I recall one of the Austrians auctioned off the pair of poles that was part of the prizes. Winners got skis I think.
    The Austrian pair that won it - Peter Larcher and Georg Höllrigl - also won the world Powder 8's in Blue River Canada 3 years running.

#52 Heinz, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    bawbawbel, Red_switch and Kletterer like this.
  3. Nicpaca

Nicpaca First Runs

Heinz I was searching the”Tyndall Glacier” and found the 1985 video footage I am one of the other three skiers in the video. Black Japara and red pack. Couldn’t believe what I saw when I tripped over the video on YouTube. If my memory is correct you smashed your nose jumping of something. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

4. Heinz

No, not me. I'm generally not into jumping off things. My guess is that would have been Roger. He was doing a few jumps in the video.

5. Nicpaca

Nicpaca First Runs

Hienz what were
    What were you wearing in the video? I am trying to id you

you wearing in that video from 85

6. Heinz

Wasn't really any skiing shots of me that day. Looks like Ross was mainly filming the one group with Peter Tocker that had Roger & you in. Brief view of me at lunch and at the end of the day about to fly out. In navy blue jacket and wearing blue Coronet peak beanie that day.

You can say that you skied with Roger the future HMH Operations Manager. Have you been back since? I had to miss this year of course, being on the other side of the ditch as did Roger in Tassie.

#56 Heinz, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  7. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Wow. Fantastic footage. Thanks for posting. Vicarious pleasures are what we have to sustain us this year.

8. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Nice, its interesting how the improvement in skis has changed technique.
    Much less up + down now .

9. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

In ungroomed powder? But hey, what would I know? Not much. There were certainly some skinny, straight skis in the vid. Some ok skiers, too.

10. Heinz

Yep, skinny straight skis. No one talked about width back then. In fresh powder they were still perfectly fine, it was in variable conditions where there was more of an issue.

11. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Breakable crust was the pits on those days !!!!

12. rowdyflat

Hard breakable crust is still the pits .

13. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Not so much with wide skis IMO .

14. rowdyflat

Maybe you have excellent balance .
    Even with wide skis that are turny, breakable crust that traps you in a tram track is hell , i avoid it .
    Had some heliskiing = get me out of here.

15. Spike Dominikovich

Spike Dominikovich First Runs

Thanks very much for the old footage

16. Spike Dominikovich

Spike Dominikovich First Runs

Thanks very much for putting up the post Heinz was there in the 80,s 90,s great memories. Was back there 2017 am so please i had the opportunity to live there freedom and Skiing go hand in hand cheers Spike Tekano cafe is no longer there was behind new supermarket