P9064171.JPG
lake jindy hotel.jpg

lake jindy hotel (2).jpg

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I remember people (well my dad) used to collect those in a big bowl to demonstrate how well travelled he was I guess.

A bit like people sewing patches of ski destinations on their jacket. It always seemed a good way to let water in on rainy days, but anyway.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
used to collect those in a big bowl to demonstrate how well travelled he was I guess
My dad did too until at the age of two I lit one, freaked out, dropped it on my nylon highly flammable pyjamas and ended up in hospital with a 3rd degree burn on my leg and skin grafts etc etc.

It was a book of matches, I’m still amazed that I managed to do it, I can’t to it as an adult.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
The old matches thing was a big time business, every motel, pub, restaurant etc would give them away, and lots of people collected them.

The Hanna family made a fortune out of it, their company was Hanna Match, then became Hanna Pack as they diversifed, and was eventually sold for $75m a few years ago. My brother used to do a lot of financing for the family business. https://www.hawkesburygazette.com.a...inational-after-60-years-in-the-hanna-family/

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
My second job involved handling dozens of telexes every day.
no longer, presumably
my workplace used to have four fax machines, one at each corner of the floor
if one was busy it would redirect to another, meaning a few would get lost
we still have printers that can send and receive faxes but no-one knows how they work, or the fax number

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
we still have printers that can send and receive faxes but no-one knows how they work, or the fax number

Likewise with our printers.

But I took our fax number off everything bit of stationary and digital signature type stuff I could find and we don't get faxes as far as I know.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
We still have faxes at work. Due to the privacy legislation, we are no longer allowed to fax medical type stuff out. However, we keep them, because referring doctors and patients still send us stuff. Quite bizarrely, we get a fair bit of fax “spam”. People sending in unsolicited catalogues etc.
The last industry/profession that seems to use fax’s is the medical profession, in my experience.

When I first started working, urgent communications went by telex, then fax, and then email. To be honest I miss the days where you could anguish about a communication (a letter) for days, compose the perfect letter, stick it in the mail, and breathe a sigh of relief because you knew you had at least a week of clear air before you received a reply.

Now, you do the same anguishing, hit send on the email, breathe one sigh of relief anticipating a few days of not worrying about said issue, only to hear “ping” on the email as the recipient sends a terse response. Argh.

Bring back the hammer and chisel, and carrier pigeon.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
The last industry/profession that seems to use fax’s is the medical profession, in my experience.

When I first started working, urgent communications went by telex, then fax, and then email. To be honest I miss the days where you could anguish about a communication (a letter) for days, compose the perfect letter, stick it in the mail, and breathe a sigh of relief because you knew you had at least a week of clear air before you received a reply.

Now, you do the same anguishing, hit send on the email, breathe one sigh of relief anticipating a few days of not worrying about said issue, only to hear “ping” on the email as the recipient sends a terse response. Argh.

I reckon that just as much work would have actually got done as well.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne

I remember when I was in high school, I did "Commerce". We spent a lot of time learning how to write business letters correctly, ie format, the headers, how to compose the text, correct sign offs depending on circumstances. We also spent quite a bit of time learning how to write cheques properly :p They are all lost skills now.

Old time memorabilia, anyone have a cheque book;)

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
I remember when I was in high school, I did "Commerce". We spent a lot of time learning how to write business letters correctly, ie format, the headers, how to compose the text, correct sign offs depending on circumstances. We also spent quite a bit of time learning how to write cheques properly :p They are all lost skills now.

Service Writing was the bane of my existence for a while. Needing to learn all the different formats for a minute, official letter, demi-official letter, service paper, decision brief, noting brief, orders, etc.

The best was the Formal Letter. Only exists in the Navy and mostly used to discipline Midshipmen who have cocked up, by giving them reasons in writing to explain themselves to a superior. Starts with
Dear Sir,

I have the honour to....

Ends with

Your Obedient Servant,

I.M Snotty
MIDN, RAN

Was also used to request permission to get married and when joining a new ship.

I may or may not have been given "reasons in writing" a few times in the early 90s.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Service Writing was the bane of my existence for a while. Needing to learn all the different formats for a minute, official letter, demi-official letter, service paper, decision brief, noting brief, orders, etc.

The best was the Formal Letter. Only exists in the Navy and mostly used to discipline Midshipmen who have cocked up, by giving them reasons in writing to explain themselves to a superior. Starts with
Dear Sir,

I have the honour to....

Ends with

Your Obedient Servant,

I.M Snotty
MIDN, RAN

I may or may not have been given "reasons in writing" a few times in the early 90s.
All letters to the public service should end "You remain, sir, my obedient servant".

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown

Dear Sir,

I have the honour to....

Ends with

Your Obedient Servant,

I.M Snotty
MIDN, RAN

we have various templates
mostly in Word, and generally not designed by a person who knows the first thing about designing templates
also a beast of a Powerpoint template that includes all of the possible options available and weighs in at 32mb

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
I don't have photos unfortunately. My grandmother had a number of ivory carvings in her loungeroom cabinets. Ornate balls within balls, carved in the Orient.

My uncle was an engineer on BHP ships in the late 60's and early 70's when they commissioned a number of new vessels from Japanese shipyards. He spent quite a lot of time in Japan and Hong Kong in those days, and brought back quite a few souvenirs.

For many years I had a Kabuki kite on the wall above my childhood bed.

Reactions: whether and Chaeron

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Yes, I still use a cheque book for business.
My ice-cream deliveries have to be paid for on delivery. (My orders aren't big enough for Streets to run an account). So I pay Streets with cheques.
And for paying big bills. My bank transfers are restricted to $5k a day, and people get pissed off if you pay $5k a day for several days to pay a large bill. So, they're happier if you just post them a cheque for the full amount.

Reactions: coolair and Chaeron

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
no longer, presumably
my workplace used to have four fax machines, one at each corner of the floor
if one was busy it would redirect to another, meaning a few would get lost

Still quite common in Japan. Fax spam is rife.

Reactions: Chaeron

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
yep
I write approx one per year
in other dinosaur news, I recently got a new credit card
to arrange for a monthly balance direct debit, I had to print a form from the website, fill it out by hand - couldn’t type it into the pdf - and post it

Last edited:
Reactions: skifree

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I have a turtle.

A taxidermy turtle.

It is totally not PC anymore and it has certainly upset a few of my more sensitive friends, so it’s been hidden away for the time being.

It belonged to my Nanna.
As a small child in the early 70s she would babysit us while the parents had a night out, we would often stay the night. I have fond memories of laying on her clean white sheepskin rug patting the turtle with one finger ever so gently as she watch me with hawk like intensity. My bull at a gate younger brother wasn’t allowed to pay the turtle because he was too rough and would damage it.

As a child I would imagine all the adventures the turtle had in its life, swimming in ponds in far away places. As an adult he is just a reminder of innocent times and the love of my grandmother.

F835A577-FB23-4340-8067-865DD7D6E839.jpeg

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
yep
I write approx one per year
in other dinosaur news, recently got a new credit card
to arrange for a monthly balance direct debit, I had to print a form from the website, fill it out by hand - couldn’t type it into the pdf - and post it
https://blueberry-pdf-form-filler.soft112.com/ There are others available, but this one is pretty good and free.

Reactions: Chaeron

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
I have a turtle.

A taxidermy turtle.

It is totally not PC anymore and it has certainly upset a few of my more sensitive friends, so it’s been hidden away for the time being.

It belonged to my Nanna.
As a small child in the early 70s she would babysit us while the parents had a night out, we would often stay the night. I have fond memories of laying on her clean white sheepskin rug patting the turtle with one finger ever so gently as she watch me with hawk like intensity. My bull at a gate younger brother wasn’t allowed to pay the turtle because he was too rough and would damage it.

As a child I would imagine all the adventures the turtle had in its life, swimming in ponds in far away places. As an adult he is just a reminder of innocent times and the love of my grandmother.

F835A577-FB23-4340-8067-865DD7D6E839.jpeg
I have a turtle shell. I found a very dead turtle and left it on an ants nest for a couple of months.

Reactions: skifree and Chaeron

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I had to do commerce as well, all I remember were the futile attempts to teach me to touch type. As if I’d ever need to touch a typewriter after the commerce course.ROFL

I was gunna be a truck driver or a abb diver or an architect, who needs keyboard skills?
Bet you wish you’d stayed with ab diving!

Reactions: skifree

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Seeing that turtle reminded me of when my brother and I cleaned out may parents place after they passed away. It was an absolute cornucopia of politically incorrect and culturally inappropriate curios ;) In the 70's my Dad had a job that took him all over the world, and he would always bring something back. Elephants feet umbrella holders, turtle shell ukelele, loads of ivory stuff, african tribal masks and shields, things made out of god knows what fur and hide :rolleyes: It just went on and on.

Oh and there was also the moment when my brother found $20k in crisp $100 notes hidden in an inner pocket of one of my dads jackets, which we were about to consign to the scrapheapLOL

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass