1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report On Kiroro

Discussion in 'Japan' started by atypicalcontent, Mar 16, 2019.

1. atypicalcontent

atypicalcontent First Runs

I've been a fan of these these forums for a long time. They have become my first stop for anything and everything skiing/adventure - they are great. The one thing that I always struggle with is whenever I'm looking for info on a specific place. For places like larger more well known places there is so much info that anything I need can be quickly gleaned from the dozens of threads. But for the smaller places or less "important" it can be a chore to find.

So in a attempt to help others that might be in the position that i'm in, here is a thread about Kiroro. Just some stoke - trip report, but hopefully it'll grow to be the repository for a successful trip to a killer place. Cheers!

https://atypicalcontent.com/2019/03/14/on-skiing-kiroro/

Ozgirl, elSpike, trappers and 4 others like this.
  2. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

It is a great resort with fantastic sidecountry and backcountry access.

Type Kiroro in the search function and there'll be plenty of great stuff.

Specific questions, fire away.

3. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Old thread but anyone know what snow there is like at the moment?

4. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This mornings report
    Good morning from Kiroro! 15cm of fresh snow in the past 24 hours. Grab your gears and come enjoy the powder day! ❄

Temps(気温): -12℃ at peak (山頂) / -9℃ at base (山麓)
    Snow (積雪): 190 cm at peak (山頂)/ 80 cm at base (山麓)
    Snowfall in 24 hrs (24時間降雪): 15 cm at peak (山頂)/ 10 cm at base (山麓)
    Total snowfall (シーズン総降雪量) 441 cm at peak (山頂) / 354 cm at base (山麓)

cr: @janeswko

https://www.facebook.com/pg/kirororesort/posts/?ref=page_internal

blowfin and trappers like this.
  5. trappers

Thanks! Saw that on the official report page, was wondering if it got any snow during the day today and if anyone could give a first hand report. We met a couple of Germans in a gondola who were a bit scathing about it.

6. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Was there yesterday (Monday 13 Jan 2020)

Great piste skiing, scratchy on the steeper faces

7. trappers

Well this is definitely better snow than Rusutsu!! Found powder stashes in side country.

8. trappers

Reposting here as well with some more details. This was a smaller, but much more modern resort, and snow much better than it was at Rusutsu. Trees are much closer together and lots of scrubby bushes which I think would be covered by an additional 1m or so of snow, but we nevertheless found some good powder stashes in amongst the trees.

It is a funny place on-piste, with some steep stuff up the top but then long flat traverse out, lift system doesnt make a huge amount of sense as you are bored for half the run! Terrain park was fairly lame with some rollers and a boardercross turn or two but thats it. Also one of the main lifts on the mountain left is out of action which takes out a huge amount of the resorts advanced terrain :(

The gated access thing was interesting and had the snow been better we probably would have gotten a guide to go explore the back coutnry. I get the feeling that this is really what this resort is about. From the glimpses we could see from the cloud, it certainly looked nice!

Snowed most of the day, pretty cold at -11 C. A few nice places to eat and drink at the bottom of the mountain and the hotel looked pretty nice from the outside too. Staff were all lovely, friendly young and excited - a welcome change. Sure a lot didnt speak english but with sufficient guestures you got your message across, and Im in Japan, why should they need to speak English?

All in all a great day and really enjoyed the improved snow quality!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Snowed most of the day there and we were treated to a magic drive home in the shadow of Mt Yotei

[​IMG]

fennekeg, blueandwhite and southpaw like this.
  9. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Well we ended up skiing at the K yesterday
    Looked for you @trappers but couldn't see the 128k GoPro anywhere;)
    We're heading to Rusutsu for the first time Sunday so hopefully conditions will improve

I was just commenting to someone yesterday about Japanese lift placement
    I'm sure it's partly cultural- stairs and long flat traverses-sometimes uphill are part of the necessary pain to complement any enjoyment!
    Welcome to Japan

eg Kiroro is a great example
    They have just installed a lovely Chondola new this year to get from the Tribute Hotel to the ski field-that's all it does
    How much did that cost?
    But let's see if the planners got it right

1.You have to walk uphill to get to it from the hotel- partly overcome by a magic carpet(did anyone stop to think-hey, brand new lift to service the new Apartments and Hotel- and we have to dump a magic carpet in front of it for punter access)
    2.The Chondola lands you on a little hill near the Family Run on the far skiers right of the base area.
    3.This means 2 things.
    It is a little hill so you can't get to anywhere other than the Family 2 seater unless you-wait for it- traverse/skate and at the end of the day you have to walk back up the hill to access either the Chondola return or the start of the new run they built back to the Hotel
    BUT it is still a hill- so no beginner is riding that Chondola strapping on skis and board and cruising down to the base building
    4.At the end of the day if you have the energy to walk up the hill to the Chondola and the start of the new run back to the hotel you'll probably just say **** it I'm riding the Gondola back to the Hotel, but hang on, they spent probably millions-certainly hundreds of thousands including earthworks building the new run home including a bespoke bridge over the creek so it seems churlish not to use it
    EXCEPT - it goes significantly uphill in 2 places and is at best flat everywhere else
    My 10 yo who doesn't approve of skating votes Gondola over this insanity

5.It also explains why the majority of punters still take the shuttle buses that just drop you door to door.

Kimski and trappers like this.
  10. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Only the top pic came through

11. trappers

Hmmm bugger. see Rusutsu thread for other pics. TBH we didnt get many pics as we were too busy enjoying the skiing! I did get a lot of gopro footage, some of which is ok and ill try and put it up later.

blowfin likes this.
  12. trappers

Thought u may have been at the RMH trauma conference at the Rusutsu this week! Looks like there may be some snow next week at rusutsu so fingers crossed 4 u!

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  13. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Met a bloke at Rusutsu last year attending this legendary trauma conference - I assume it's the same conference. Daughter and I ended up skiing with him for two days while we were there. Best snow I've ever skied in Japan. He skied all day and ducked out for an hour or two late afternoon each day for the conference. Seemed like good work if you can get it!

trappers likes this.
  14. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Anyone around Otaru next week and keen for a catch up?

15. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Hard Yards

Kiroro on Jan 4, 2020. Bluebird day. Beautiful resort!! Just don't eat at the Crest restaurant...

Ramenman, skifree, Hyst and 1 other person like this.
  16. MisterMxyzptlk

Car snowometer says 15+ overnight at the base

Ramenman, skifree, fennekeg and 4 others like this.
  17. MisterMxyzptlk

ok
    So one of the weirdest days on a hill I can remember in 45+years-in a good way
    The 15cm on the car was nowhere near what was on the Mountain
    Complete reset from yesterday
    50cm+ in places
    I'm so used to Southern Hemisphere skiing where every mm of snow is predicted and measured and shown on social media that these surprise powder days are very very special
    Glorious day.
    Just glorious
    And no-one there.
    Thankyou Kiroro-you have never let us down in over 10 years
    From today

I'm 195cm-that's a long pole

Dem crowdsLOL

Dat powder

Yeah it's not a 2m base but we've had close to a metre of accumulation here over the past week
    Smiles all round

18. MisterMxyzptlk

So social media must have exploded over yesterdays snow quality at Kiroro because the carparks were full by 9.30 and the hotel was busy
    I have never seen the lower parks used
    We wuz laffin' though and yelling at the cars
    "Suckers, we used all the POW yesterday!"
    And we had

19. Jonkl

Jonkl Hard Yards

Where do people usually stay skiiing at Kiroro other than on mountain hotels? Would Otaru be a good base? Can also get to Sapporo Teine and Kokusai within an HR drive?

20. grantn

grantn Addicted

Otaru is a great base. Or outer Sapporo on the northwestern fringe. If you stay close to Tiene it's an easy drive to Tiene (15 min), Kokusai (45 min) and Kiroro (45 min).

Jonkl and Hyst like this.
  21. Jonkl

Jonkl Hard Yards

Have you got any knowledge on the snow quality over those 3 places??
    We are mainly groomer boarder, was at Tomamu during the new year, pretty poor condition over there, with many icy patches

22. blutek

blutek One of Us

We used to stay at Kiroro but more recently the Grand Park hotel at Chikko Otaru as the US management at Kiroro has significantly increased prices. There is a ski bus service from the hotel, or the resort bus from the nearby JR station. We have also driven up but don't like the road when sheet ice downhill.
    You could also find AirB&B accomodation cheaply.

Jonkl likes this.
  23. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Thanks. What time does the earliest bus arrive at resort?