On Snow Accommodation

SkiAl

First Runs
Jun 13, 2008
QLD
My family has a deep desire to spend a week on the snow at Perisher this year. This is our 4th season skiing, and we have never stayed on snow so we are willing to spend the extra dollars to simply ski in and ski out. Needless to say I was wondering if anybody had any 'favourite' places or places which they would never go. Also wondering how soon this type of accommodation gets booked out.

Unfortunately, the week we go is the first week of July. As I am a teacher I am bounded by school holidays. I would love to go later and not in a busy week, but hey its still skiing - and I cant wait.

Thanks

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I'm partial to North Perisher but that may not be so good that early in the season. There are several commercial lodges up that way that do oversnow transport into the main valley on a regular basis so you're not so reliant on having the North P lifts working. Not sure which ones to recommend though, as I've always stayed at a private lodge. If you're serious long term, you may want to think about investing in membership in a lodge if possible. It can be pricey (and you probably can't be sure of getting the dates you want) but it will give you much cheaper on snow accommodation. Just something to think about.

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
1st week of July traditionally books out very fast. I assume despite the economic downturn that this will still be the case.

Are you looking for lodge, hotel, self contained?

Lodge wise I've been in Snowgums and The Lodge at Smiggins and I can recommend them both. The food and service at The Lodge is excellent. When I was a kid my family used to stay at Peer Gynt in North Perisher and it was a great place to stay - but you're taking the risk as to whether the Interceptor or North P t-bar will open in the first week of July.

Hotel style look at the Perisher Manor and Perisher Valley Hotel. You'll be paying through the nose for either one but they are right on Front Valley and quite nice with good restaurants.

Self contained you can look at Salzburg Apartments, The Stables (which I can recommend) and I think Heidis in Smiggins is being converted to self contained apartments as I type.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkiAl

First Runs
Jun 13, 2008
QLD
Thanks for that - we do not mind what type of accommodation, we just want to ski on the snow. But we now have a starting point. I will get cracking as if it books out early, I want to make sure we have somewhere.

We recently were down that way for a bit of summer camping and had a look around, but you cant tell a book by its cover.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
D-eye said:
snowgums isn't exactly "ski in ski out" though, then again that goes for most places at Perisher.

Yeah, that's the problem up there. Strictly speaking, ski in ski out would limit you to the PVH, Perisher Manor or Peer Gynt & Barrakee in North Perisher.

Unless you can find yourself a bed in a club lodge in the Pretty Valley area....

Cheech

Hard Yards
Apr 7, 2005
Penriff (Pram City)
Sundeck is up the hill from the Perisher centre. Its been a while since I stayed there, but I recall the meals were good and it was handy to be able to ski out the door and down to the lifts first thing.

The hardest thing is stumbling back up the hill if you go out for a bite/entertainment at night.

SkiAl

First Runs
Jun 13, 2008
QLD
Hmmm. Bar and Alcohol - sounds good to me
smile.gif

Now I am off to do a bit more research on this subject - I just wish I was skiing now.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Cheech said:
Sundeck is up the hill from the Perisher centre. Its been a while since I stayed there, but I recall the meals were good and it was handy to be able to ski out the door and down to the lifts first thing.

The hardest thing is stumbling back up the hill if you go out for a bite/entertainment at night.

The Sundeck still going? I stayed there back in 1986. You are right, being able to ski down to first lift was good.

Also right about the walk up after a few drinks elsewhere. I think a few at the time referred to it as cardiac hill. Was also an issue getting luggage up there after arriving late evening. Fortunately a guy on a skidoo from the lodge took was able to take care of that.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
The Man From Snowy River is a great place to stay.

It is a very short walk through the SkiTube Terminal to the lifts.

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Smiggins hotel, ski in /out, good lounge area/bar to escape lunch time crowds, Marritz Alpine at Perisher, great Family suite, not quite ski in/out but does have the indoor heated pool that is great after a day on snow and top meals.
both places know how to charge .
Smiggins hotel has the advantage of on snow car parking included, luging the gear on skitube can be a pain.

drfunk

First Runs
Aug 24, 2007
the perisher manor hotel is where i usually stay. Best location for first lifts, right next to the v8 front valley for the kids and I have enjoyed every meal there The restaurant and cocktail bar have recently renovated and re-opened as the base bar1720 a long overdue facelift, comfy and modern... The family who run the manor are fantastic too, been there since the 50's I hear, good luck with your season, all the best!

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
Id look at smiggins as well. Ive never stayed on snow at PB but if a bargain is available at Smigs they are all within a vv short stroll distance to a link lift (or shuttle) if my memory serves correct. PS I reckon the night life would be just as good at smigs, perisher is not exactly a wild town.

SkiAl

First Runs
Jun 13, 2008
QLD
thanks for all this. I have been looking at Perisher Manor and Smiggins hotel. As we have a 12 y.o son nightlife is not a high priority. We have decided we are going to drive down from Brisbane (visit the in-laws on the way) oh joy! So Smiggins Hotel might be the one. Now fingers crossed for a great season.

MXrider

First Runs
Dec 28, 2008
Really you cant go past Smiggs Hotel for families,It has the best kids club in the area,magician once a week, free night skiing for kids on Wednesdays, fireworks and live music.On snow parking, one of only a few on the Perisher range.Easy access to ski the whole resort and the best kids beginner area,downstairs has a ski hire and ski repair shop as well as food and trinket stores. The Manor is expensive, no parking on mountain and they do not supply transport with no regular entertainment, front valley too steep for first time beginers.Belinda Shore(Hotel Manager)is all about the guest having a great time.I lived and ran a club lodge in Perisher for 23years so I am speaking from experience.

jonoes

First Runs
Feb 8, 2009
I fully agree on Smiggins but as somebody else pointed out, early in the season you run the risk of Piper T bar or Interceptor not being open and this means you're limited to Smiggins. It's an easy bus trip over to Perisher but for me if I'm paying the money to stay on the snow, I don't want to have to then catch a bus. I wouldn't say don't stay at Smiggins, just be aware it might not be ski in, ski out.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
stayed at Smiggs mid August one year...wasn't ski in ski out then either. Lot of $$ to spend to catch a bus each day.

Lokiloo

First Runs
Feb 16, 2009
We're thinking of North Perisher this year too but later in July. Doesn't look like there are many commercial lodges. Anyone know how big Peer Gynt and Barrakee are?

aquablu

First Runs
Feb 18, 2009
Hi SkiAl,
We always stay at the Man from Snowy River Hotel, its sooo convenient, just over from the ski tube terminal. They also have underground parking which is a real bonus. The food is great and my grandkids love the kids club. The kids can eat first and then you and hubby can have a relaxing dinner. Hope this helps.
Cheers

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SkiAl

First Runs
Jun 13, 2008
QLD
Thanks for all your info...now the hard part choosing then hoping I haven't left it too late
smile.gif

Very excited - can I say its almost snow season again? seeing that we are only a short way from the end of summer

LanceSkisSmiggs

First Runs
Apr 2, 2009
The Wang said:
... I think Heidis in Smiggins is being converted to self contained apartments as I type.
I heard the same thing also. There will be 8-9 apartments but only a few are being rented. Found a website for one of them (The Aspen Chalet). They sound pretty lush and are definitely in a great location - just across the carpark from the Smiggins lifts.

mr_snowtragic

First Runs
Apr 9, 2003
NSW
LanceSkisSmiggs said:
The Wang said:
... I think Heidis in Smiggins is being converted to self contained apartments as I type.
I heard the same thing also. There will be 8-9 apartments but only a few are being rented. Found a website for one of them (The Aspen Chalet). They sound pretty lush and are definitely in a great location - just across the carpark from the Smiggins lifts.

Yeah, I was down in smiggs a couple of months back and heidis was a major construction site.

TheSkiJunkie

First Runs
Apr 15, 2009
Sounds very similar to our predicament SkiAl.... and as most people have already commented, ski in ski out in the National Park is either not really that, or just plain expensive....
frown.gif

We used to stay at Heidi's in Smiggins, which technically isn't ski in ski out, but is a 40 metre walk from the chairlift... without the price tag. They also have parking onsite, which is extremely rare in the National Park and saves me having to carry mine and the entire families skis boots and poles... always a bonus!

I was there a few weeks ago, and it is a construction site. Spoke to one of the builders onsite and he said it is being turned into apartments and showed me around a bit... they look pretty smart and according to him, will be ready in time for the start of the season (fingers crossed).

Did a bit of digging around on the net, found the address - aspenchalet.com.au - which looks likes one of the apartments... I think someone else in this thread mentioned it also...

Good luck with the ski trip.... will be down there on the same week.... start preying for snow...
smile.gif

SkiAl

First Runs
Jun 13, 2008
QLD
Well we made our decision and decided to book in at Smiggins, the kids club was the clencher - and also very close to the lifts, also parking available as we were going to drive down from QLD.

Things change though - my husband has left me, so we have changed the booking to just me and my son (12 y.o) still staying at smiggins, but now will fly and coach down. Things I needed to know before booking a holiday.

So, my thoughts are we are going to have great snow in that week and it will be a brilliant week as I am due for some good fortune. Thanks to all for valuable advice.

Snowbunny2

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2003
Pimpama QLD
SkiAl said:
Well we made our decision and decided to book in at Smiggins, the kids club was the clencher - and also very close to the lifts, also parking available as we were going to drive down from QLD.

Things change though - my husband has left me, so we have changed the booking to just me and my son (12 y.o) still staying at smiggins, but now will fly and coach down. Things I needed to know before booking a holiday.

So, my thoughts are we are going to have great snow in that week and it will be a brilliant week as I am due for some good fortune. Thanks to all for valuable advice.

SkiAl - you will have a ball ! Even better now you are single - I should know , I've been there done that, got a t-shirt !
smile.gif

It will be a trip that you & your son will remember for a long time to come. I just hope you got the X to pay for it !

SkiAl

First Runs
Jun 13, 2008
QLD
smile.gif
He has paid for my son,
smile.gif
even better - a cheaper skiing holiday

DavidZhang

First Runs
Jun 21, 2022
I have booked 2 days (22nd-24th July, 2022) on snow accommodation (twin room for 2 adults) with Perisher Manor @$1180, however we can not make it due to the recent injury with knee. If anyone is interested in taking up this accommodation at the same price or similar (it is very hard to find such an accommodation now), please email me: zhangxd.david@gmail.com
Perisher Manor is only a few meters away from the lift. cheers
1655769565572.png

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I have booked 2 days (22nd-24th July, 2022) on snow accommodation (twin room for 2 adults) with Perisher Manor @$1180, however we can not make it due to the recent injury with knee. If anyone is interested in taking up this accommodation at the same price or similar (it is very hard to find such an accommodation now), please email me: zhangxd.david@gmail.com
Perisher Manor is only a few meters away from the lift. cheers
1655769565572.png

Thats a good deal!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass