1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

One on One Lessons

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by NjB, Jul 27, 2016.

1. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

I'm heading up solo to Falls from the 14th to the 17th of August. I plan to get 2 to 2.5 days of skiing in with the intention of both exploring the mountain and getting one on one ski lesson(s).

I'm a low level intermediate (will do wide groomed easy blacks) and currently a little unfit (definitely don't have ski legs). Would I be best served getting two 1 hour lessons on consecutive days or go for a single 2 hour lesson straight up?

2. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

I would do the 2 x 1 hour lessons. That gives you a chance to practice and process what you were shown in lesson 1. And you wont get too tired during the lessons.

currawong likes this.
  3. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think I'd do a group lesson on the first morning, to get your ski legs back and then a 1 hour lesson the next day and then see if you want to do any lessons on the last half day.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You don't learn much when you are tired/sore and good instructors try to pack a fair bit into an hour. You probably do more skiing in a 1 hour private than a 2 hr class lesson. and like @BilbyBill said, you get to practice in between and clarify, get feedback etc

5. currawong

a group lesson is now ~$70 I think. IMHO better to free ski than do a single class lesson if it's just to get your legs back. Apart from beginner lessons, I think classes work best when you go every day so you learn as part of a structured lesson plan. When you rock up for a single lesson, what the class is up to may not be what you need

I would try to book both privates at the same time to make you get the same instructor for both

6. fmdc9

fmdc9 Hard Yards

whats a wide groomed easy black run?

7. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Gee, I didn't realise they were so expensive, years since I bought a group lesson. Strangely, there is no benifit from buying multiple lessons.
    http://www.fallscreek.com.au/groupskilessons

8. currawong

maybe these fall under that banner when groomed inter, grand coeur, oest wand, the slot, apres vous, zipper, st elmos

9. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Thanks guys I'll look into two 1 hr private lessons on consecutive days - by "wide groomed easy black run" I mean something like Men's Downhill at Buller. This run is reasonably easy for an intermediate to ski as it gives hacks like me time to "prepare" for each turn instead of having to respond dynamically when you have "bumps" which generally cause me to ski down the run on my face - not ready for those yet :rolleyes:

10. fmdc9

fmdc9 Hard Yards

ah thanks i didnt realise those were black runs

11. babycover

babycover First Runs

Maybe not related to the thread but, as a beginner ( i got 2 lessons1 hr as a group last year for snowboarding ). i'm still very very beginner. cant stop :)
    I will go back this year and try to learn again. Will a private lesson better than group?

12. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Well IMHO private lessons will be better because the instructor will only be focusing on you and so will be able to pick up specific issues with your technique that could get overlooked in a big group. If you can afford the extra $ and really want to improve as a boarder then I say go private.

13. babycover

babycover First Runs

Thank you so much!!! Fortunately, I can afford the price of private lesson. Looking forward to it.
    Just 1 more question, as a newbie, is hire gear good for now or own gears i better? also if hire, would hire from Melbourne is cheaper than hire from the ski shops near the mountain?

14. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Different.
    Better? Possibly.
    A lot depends on you, your instructor, the group and your learning style.

For me privates were the way to go. I got personalised attention, wasn't worried I was holding anyone up, I enjoyed it and learned a lot. Give it a try.

^this, although the specific issues might not be overlooked as much as just running out of time to focus on them all as you are sharing the instructors time.

Your own gear is obviously going to be better, even if it's just from the angle that you are used to it.
    Whether hire gear is good enough depends on so much! I've seen some absolutely clapped out equipment palmed off on new riders, and yet I've hired premium new seasons boards on daily rotation as a demo week - they're poles apart. But it's less about the board and more about the boots. If you want to continue snowboarding (rather than just giving it a go) and can afford boots I would buy boots. If your boots are a good fit and comfortable you'll have more control and less discomfort that will effect your riding.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

@babycover - I'd suggest hiring on mountain - easier to bring back for adjustment, doesn't need roof racks or boot space. Have a look at the Koki website for their rates and online discount.

@NjB - try to book Charles Evans, Nicki (Nick Nock) or Michaela (from Sydney) - all great instructors.

NjB likes this.
  16. currawong

For most intermediates who are skiing/boarding for 5 days, group lessons on consecutive days is the way to go. Group lessons are more or less structured with this in mind - the group progresses through the week, adding new skills & refinements. You sometimes learn as much by seeing what others are doing right & wrong and what the instructor says about it.
    IMHO if you are more than beginner and you only want 1 or 2 lessons then it is probably better to find the money for aa private lesson. Especially good if you can share with a friend our partner at the same level.
    For beginners I think group lessons, even 1 or 2, are better. Much better value. Less diversity of standard within the group. More time to practice the new skills under supervision. If you are excruciatingly shy / terrified of making mistakes in front of others, or have special needs, or have money to burn then maybe consider private beginner lessons

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Bears getting one on one lessons at Kittens all the time but they just keep making same errors with their hands...

Team Bears just not making progress with their technique generally...:yum:

18. Hully

Hully One of Us

ROFLROFLROFL:thumbs:
    Two private lessons as a boarder and you will be the instructor.

currawong likes this.
  19. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Sorry, its three days from beginner to instructor level.

20. Hully

Hully One of Us

There is one day of "shredding" to perfect the technique from the two lessons.

21. babycover

babycover First Runs

Would love it if i'm able to do all lthat :)

22. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

I ended up with a nice bloke named Peter who picked up all my bad habits instantly and reckoned my mountain biking and water skiing may have contributed to these bad habits ( the way I throw my weight around etc)- really struggling to break those habits though despite his clear and simple advice - keep weight forward, initiate turns with gentle ankles rolls combined with weight transfer (hips over skis etc) and not weight back and hips uphill of the uphill ski (being unco is such a p.i.t.a) Part of the problem is that I need to change about 3-4 fundamental items and my brain seems to be only able to focus on one at the cost of everything else. I have another lesson tomorrow - hope I can do better but will warm up beforehand with some laps of Towers runs with some of his drills

Edgecrusher likes this.