Review One ski quiver for overseas

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I save a few kilograms in weight by inserting Quiver Killer binding inserts in the two pairs of skis I normally take to Japan and taking just one lot of bindings which I can then instal on either pair. Swapping over only requires a screwdriver and a dab of "loctite" or similar and a few minutes of time. Bumps Ski Store in Melbourne stocks these inserts or you can buy them direct from the US manufacturer. There is another brand called Binding Freedom which I believe is similar.

You can also then carry two pairs of skis in most single ski bags and also avoid the extra weight of a double ski bag.
There's an Aussie distributor of quiver killers, so you can get them through many stores now.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I save a few kilograms in weight by inserting Quiver Killer binding inserts in the two pairs of skis I normally take to Japan and taking just one lot of bindings which I can then instal on either pair. Swapping over only requires a screwdriver and a dab of "loctite" or similar and a few minutes of time. Bumps Ski Store in Melbourne stocks these inserts or you can buy them direct from the US manufacturer. There is another brand called Binding Freedom which I believe is similar.

You can also then carry two pairs of skis in most single ski bags and also avoid the extra weight of a double ski bag.
If your trip is all resort skiing like most, two pair skis/one pair bindings is a better option than touring gear and the compromises that come with it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dumph

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2015
I took the Fischer Ranger 108s to Japan/Honshu this year and they were just about perfect for everything I came across, amazing skis. Lots of float in the deep but still plenty of performance on the hard pack. The Ranger 98s or Fischer Motives might be better all round if you're going somewhere with less snowfall as a OSQ. Another Fischer dedicated convert and such amazing value when compared to just about everything else out there.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I took the Fischer Ranger 108s to Japan/Honshu this year and they were just about perfect for everything I came across, amazing skis. Lots of float in the deep but still plenty of performance on the hard pack. The Ranger 98s or Fischer Motives might be better all round if you're going somewhere with less snowfall as a OSQ. Another Fischer dedicated convert and such amazing value when compared to just about everything else out there.
Good one.
One Fischer convert to another . :thumbs:
The Motives are now called the Pro MTN.

Reactions: Zimboo

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
My Line Supernatural 108s arrived today - bloody heavy!!

Reactions: Telemark Phat

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Sandy,
I can get a pretty good deal on a pair of 2017 Black Crows Camox but only in a 181. I'm 183 cm and hover around the 67-68 kg mark. Do they ski short like a lot of other freeride rocker-camber-rocker skis? Usually ski a 184 and a 186.

Last edited:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sandy,
I can get a pretty good deal on a pair of 2017 Black Crows Camox but only in a 181. I'm 183 cm and hover around the 67-68 kg mark. Do they ski short like a lot of other freeride rocker-camber-rocker skis? Usually ski a 184 and a 186.
Mine are an earlier model in a 186, but they ski long because there's not really rocker in the tail. The 2017 has a bit more, as you can see:
213344.jpg

Compare with my Camox, page 1, first photo, second from the left.... less in the tail.

But noting like, say, the Armada JJ, for example:
ArmadaJJ2.0.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Pelm1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2009
Perth WA
My pair (2014/15 model) is stiff in the middle and powerful tail, soft in the tip. They are stable at speed, not much chatter, bust through the crud, but lively if you bend them.

Mine too ;)

(2015/16)

Fantastic skis.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Contacted Black Crows and gave them my weight/height/skiing ability and they came back with the following.

"Hi !
I'd recommend 181 if it's mainly for piste and off-piste without too much powder. 186 if you want something more powerful and better in powder."

Reactions: Pelm1
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass