One way car rental - Kelowna > Calgary !

Snowbunny2

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2003
Pimpama QLD
I have rented Cars in Canada a few times now, but mostly rental from an airport and retuning to the same airport. Now I am planning a trip in BC and would like to pick up at Kelowna and drop off in Calgary Airport. But every car rental in Kelowna either will not do a one way rental or it is double the price. Anyone had some experience doing a one way rental ?
Thanks in advance for all you information.

Chillybin

Addicted
Sep 16, 2016
Unfortunately the smaller towns have very limited stock and the cost to get the car back to them on a one way is expensive. I've used both Alamo and Hertz on one ways. Hertz from Seattle to Calgary and Alamo from Vancouver to Calgary. You will find that contacting the companies directly is the best bet. No company would easily hire me a 4wd from America to Canada on a one way but after calling I was able to get what I needed. I plan my trip around flying into and out f major airports for that reason. I'd love to fly into Castlegar but it ultimately works out more cost effecient to use majors only. Hopefully you can work something out.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Unfortunately the smaller towns have very limited stock and the cost to get the car back to them on a one way is expensive. I've used both Alamo and Hertz on one ways. Hertz from Seattle to Calgary and Alamo from Vancouver to Calgary. You will find that contacting the companies directly is the best bet. No company would easily hire me a 4wd from America to Canada on a one way but after calling I was able to get what I needed. I plan my trip around flying into and out f major airports for that reason. I'd love to fly into Castlegar but it ultimately works out more cost effecient to use majors only. Hopefully you can work something out.
A lot of small town agencies of the major hire companies are franchises. Individual, independent businesses. I have no idea about the details, but losing inventory into the greater franchise network, perhaps never to return, could be a major expense. There has to be a strong incentive to return the car, or an allowance for the cost of return, to make the business model viable.

Charliew

First Runs
Jan 2, 2017
Hi SnowBunny,

Did you ever manage to sort this out? I'm also looking to road trip from Kelowna to Calgary in Feb and struggling to find a one way rental

Thanks

Charlie

Snowbunny2

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2003
Pimpama QLD
Hi Charlie
No I couldn't get a good price on the one way rental ! So we have changed our plans and doing a round trip from Kelowna and back to Kelowna - just extended the trip to 3 weeks ! I found Avis on the Australian site the best price, because they include the LDW in your basic price !

Good luck in your search & have fun on your ski trip !

SB

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using