Advice needed One week boarding in Perisher

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by plink01, Jul 10, 2018.

1. plink01

plink01 First Runs

Hey im from Melbourne and im thinking about crossing the border and camping at Island Bend for a week and snowboard Perisher mid August.
    Im just wondering if you guys think a week is a bit long in Perisher (including smiggins, guthaga and blue cow). It looks a lot bigger than the Vic resorts so im thinking it could keep me busy for a bit. I dont mind doing the same runs a bit if they're fun.
    Or do you guys think a week is a bit long and i'd be better off doing half in Perisher, half in Thredbo? Im at an intermediate level and im happy doing black runs. Im also thinking about breaking it up and do a day snow shoeing so realisticly id be boarding 7 days max.

Thanks!

2. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

Personally I think there’s plenty to keep you happy at Perisher for a week. However, if you’re up from Victoria and unlikely to be back for a while, you may as well have a day or two in Thredbo. Just bear in mind that multi-day tickets are usually cheaper per day than single day tickets.

3. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

You be fine with a week.

And if you have snowshoes (which you sort of imply) there are some simple snow shoe and ride lines out of Guthega, just down the way from Island Bend.

HSVGuy likes this.
  4. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Drop into the Wilderness Sports shop in the NPWS building in the Perisher car park for maps & route suggestions for the snowshoe accessed stuff.

5. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

If you have never been there before I can't see you getting bored in the space of a week.

6. IAB

IAB A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

As a boarder you'll have much more fun at Thredbo :whistle:

zac150 likes this.
  7. Funky

Funky One of Us

If you can a week in any of the Vic Resorts, you can ski a week in Perisher.

8. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

It's a long drive from Island Bend to Thredbo!

skifree likes this.
  9. plink01

plink01 First Runs

Hey thanks heaps for the replies! I think ill do a week in Perisher. I might do Thredbo next year or late this year if its a long season.
    Nah ive never tried the snowshoe thing. I love hiking so im gonna give it a crack. It should help break up the week and use some different mussles! Ill check the NPWS. Thanks for the help!

skifree likes this.
  10. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Perisher has some dedicated snowshoe trails. Map here. As you can see from the map, they are not really a wilderness experience.

11. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you must snow shoe I’d use the time to scope out some of the lines across the dam wall from Guthega

Legs Akimbo and skifree like this.
  12. Kappy

Kappy Addicted

Heaps of options at Perisher to discover. Island Bend a great place to make the most of Perisher, Guth, BC & Smigs etc. The beauty of Perisher is you always have options if the weather moves in.

13. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

I first learnt to snowboard at Perisher in 1999.
    It's been keeping me interested ever since.

14. J_busworth

J_busworth Early Days

I quite like the trail out to Porcupine Rocks, but certainly nothing too wilderness. A day trying out snow shoeing would be a nice way to break up the week, but you'll have plenty to do as Perisher is massive.

15. plink01

plink01 First Runs

Nah the non wilderness part of the snowshoes isnt a drama. For the first time id like to do some easier sort of stuff. I have been doing some pretty hard mountain climbs lately but the snow and cold is a bit different and i'd like to ease my way into it a bit. I need to learn weather paterns and what to wear/what works for me when hiking in the cold a bit better before i try some proper back country stuff.

Yeah ive decided to do the whole week in Perisher. Im gonna try snow camping in Hotham next week and if its not a complete disaster ill be putting my leave form in and going to Island Bend in August. I am super excited!!

16. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

In that case Porcupine Rocks, as suggested by J_busworth, is perfect. About 10 km total out and back with views forever into the Thredbo valley and beyond. Easy grades and not much side hill (if any). Relatively high traffic on the trade route to Charlotte Pass so solo is not too stupid.