1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

One week (maybe longer), One car, Hokkaido

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Lucky Pete, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

With C19 hitting our business hard this will be the winter and subsidised travel and accomadation, this year offers the best chance for tarvel in Japan and I really want to get back to Hokkaido in early to Mid Dec (have to be back around the 15th). This will be a business trip as we want to get up to Niseko for a day or two to look at a few things then I want to head off and try and ride a new place each day for 5 or 6 days. I have previously been to Rusutsu and Kiroro so keen to try somewhere new. Will have a renta rig and somewhat sense of adventure.

If you were me where would you go?

telenomore likes this.
  2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have very little experience skiing in Japan but I loved Sapporo Teine.
    We were part of a handful of tourists. There was a school group of maybe 30 and an army group of maybe 50.
    I was skiing fresh snow (from the night before) at 3pm.

telenomore likes this.
  3. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Second Teine, then there’s Kokusai which can be great, even Asari and Tengu are worth a visit depending on cover/ conditions....but it’s hard to not mention Asahidake and if touring Tokachidake ( pretty reliable early season), Furano of course also Kamui and Pippu and then there’s Tomamu and Sahoro. These last 5 may be marginal.

telenomore likes this.
  4. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

Straight up I would say Niseko. Both Rusutsu and Kiroro could be a bit low tide for off-piste runs at that early stage of the season (runouts = roots and rocks). The elevation of Tiene could be worthy of focus.

telenomore likes this.
  5. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

5 or 6 days, somewhere new, not Rusutsu, Kiroro, nor Niseko? Then, Sapporo Teine, Sapporo Kokusai, Tenguyama and Mount Racey. Hokkaido is large, so 5 days is too short for skiing in Central Hokkaido (Furano, Tomamu, Sahoro, Kamui, Asahdake, etc), I guess.

telenomore likes this.
  6. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Anti clockwise.

DidSurfNowSki and telenomore like this.
  7. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Asahidake, but only if the weather is good.

telenomore likes this.
  8. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

After a bit of research and the comments above Im thinking basing myself in Furano might be a solid option. Day trips from there if not riding locally. @telenomore 's threads and photos sure are appealing as are some of the TRs. Trip will be weather dependent and will probably shink from Nagano to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto and car rental from there.

M_G, DidSurfNowSki, LMB and 2 others like this.
  9. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'll take you to Tokachi for some BC! I have some spare kit. Seriously though, as we all know, early season is generally risky but if the weather gods are smiling, well it can be good. I'd agree with most above, anything close to the west coast gets most snow, Asahi Dake a.lso gets lots of snow but often doesn't open till January as it needs a 2 metre base! and Tomamu definitely not an early season resort. Furano usually opens Nov but limited lifts. Kamui services Asahikawa so usually opens early even if only limited. Keep me in the loop as it gets closer. Serious about Tokachi.

skifree, M_G and LMB like this.
  10. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

@Lucky Pete if this is a go - don’t miss it!! Loved Tokachi.

11. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

This

skifree likes this.
  12. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Thanks so much!! Will definetly keep you informed with plans and being so early it will likely to be a last minute decsion based on conditions, resorts being opened etc. I have a funny feeling we are in for an early and epic season (but I say that every year ;) ) If I cant get up there early will definetly do so later in the season.

skifree likes this.