One world Round the world flights.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Where do you get the best early season snow vs. what’s more fun/ less busy in the initial holiday season…

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Sounds like a plan, and a good one at that.

BammBamm

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
I've done rtw business twice. Not sure about economy rewards seats but for business you need to book when the seats open on popular routes (~12 months out).

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
134K points needed. Have.

Thinking
Sydney -Hong Kong
HK to Milan.
May overland to UK.
London to SFO.
SFO to Tokyo.
Tokyo to Sydney.

Next December Jan. 2022/23

Thoughts?

Economy reward seats pretty poor value in general given the amount of taxes you pay, if you have enough points def recommend business for 280k. Obviously availability tighter in (mainly in and out of aus, ok elsewhere). If you dont have the points, there is still time to get bonus points via 2 or 3 new credit cards by the booking period commencing in Dec21.

Looking at skiing in Italy? Amazing if you havent been. Recommend Val Di Fassa. White Christmas in any of the Euro resorts would be magic. We had a stunning white c hristmas at Lake Bled one year, decent skiing nearby but its more of a destination.

BammBamm

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
It is.
May be a combination of points and $ if they do that?

You can buy points from Q but they are quite expensive. You can buy points for cheaper on the market but they've cracked down on it and you have no recourse. Best bet would be to do some quick claims i.e. credit cards, insurance etc.

Reactions: Kash

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
You can buy points from Q but they are quite expensive. You can buy points for cheaper on the market but they've cracked down on it and you have no recourse. Best bet would be to do some quick claims i.e. credit cards, insurance etc.
Yeah or ask the inlaws for some points.

Reactions: Kash and BammBamm
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BammBamm

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
150k point will set you back aroun $4035...

I've got 600k saved up atm. covid putting a stop to travel has meant it's worth saving up until the world opens up again. Promised my 10yo I'd take him rtw business lol

The only worry with saving them is if Qantas devalues them further or in the unlikely event Qantas folds and you lose them all (which did happen with Ansett)

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Didnt realise it had increased but it makes sense. Its a shame you cant take a mix of business and economy. Some flights I have no issue with taking economy but some flights its so much better.

Reactions: Donza

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
The poor value of Qantas points plus pay goes back to when Rewards was split into Classic Rewards and Anytime Rewards (altho called another name probably). Many more seats were available on the latter scheme but the cost in points was multiples of the approx 2c a mile Classic rate.

This latter scheme seems to have been discontinued or renamed into Points plus Pay whereby in effect one buys points at the Anytime rate but the total is then subject to Classic Rewards availability restrictions e.g for Business one has to book as soon as the seats are released i.e. 355 days ahead.

Other carriers had Points plus Pay where one bought points at their standard rate or for a much smaller premium markup than what Qantas applied in their Anytime rate) but the ones I recall (Air Canada and United) are Star Alliance not oneworld.

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney

Also check out pointhacks for some good tips. Alaska Miles hacks used to be big.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
In the Before Times (i.e. pre Covid) some travel sites had good discussions on the cheapest RTW location to start from.
RTW is the same ticket, but the price varies enormously depending on where you start and ex.rates.

Bus.class RTW on Oneworld or Star Alliance starting in Cairo or Colombo was $2500. Obviously you need to get to Egypt or Sri Lanka.
Get ff to (say) Colombo,, start fun RTW route, include Australia, maybe never use the final Aus - SL leg.

If you think this is a crazy idea that no-one would ever do then you don't know travel obsessives.

Reactions: sunpeaker and Kash

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
In the Before Times (i.e. pre Covid) some travel sites had good discussions on the cheapest RTW location to start from.
RTW is the same ticket, but the price varies enormously depending on where you start and ex.rates.

Bus.class RTW on Oneworld or Star Alliance starting in Cairo or Colombo was $2500. Obviously you need to get to Egypt or Sri Lanka.
Get ff to (say) Colombo,, start fun RTW route, include Australia, maybe never use the final Aus - SL leg.

If you think this is a crazy idea that no-one would ever do then you haven't been on travel forums.

This times 1000. Another good option to get business to Europe is to get out of oz first to avoid the Australia 'tax'. eg fly to Singapore or KL. It is affordable to then fly business from there eg (< $2.5k) eg using Turkish airlines etc which have brand new 787s.

BammBamm

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
If you think this is a crazy idea that no-one would ever do then you don't know travel obsessives.

lol this for sure I've done some random itineraries. A good "hack" that I did was cbr>brs>melb>syd>nou, got off the plane went thru customs and then same in reverse. Got QFF gold status for about $1200.

Reactions: Kash and climberman

sunpeaker

Hard Yards
Sep 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
Browsing airfares recently found these. On Skyscanner: Business Bangkok to Zurich return $2380 with Etihad. On Roundabout Travel RTW Economy with Finnair $1981. Business $5983.
Skyscanner is one of the best search sites for airfares in my opinion.

Reactions: Kash

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Browsing airfares recently found these. On Skyscanner: Business Bangkok to Zurich return $2380 with Etihad. On Roundabout Travel RTW Economy with Finnair $1981. Business $5983.
Skyscanner is one of the best search sites for airfares in my opinion.

Agreed. Kayak is good too, because of the ease with which you can search +/-3 days each side of intended date.

Reactions: sunpeaker
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass