1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Culture Only In Japan ....... (Again)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Nozawaman, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Asama

Asama Addicted

Beautiful, but also very unusual... a handwriting analyst could go to town on this...

fennekeg likes this.
  2. David-eTO

David-eTO Early Days

In Europe they are experiencing the same situation: a beautiful handwriting is a thing of the past.
    Kids adopt their own handwriting which is a combination of lower and upper case letters for their parents' delights. On the other hand, they are very comfortable with keyboards and, I believe, that is the reason they don't pay too much attention at what their "calligraphy" looks like. I assume they have already come to understand they won't need to manually write anything.
    On the other hand, even my handwriting has deteriorated due to an extensive use of keyboards instead of pens and pencils.
    This is happening despite spending days tracing beautifully shaped letters when i was in elementary school, a loooooong time ago.
    I guess it's a sign of the times.

Ramenman, fennekeg and skifree like this.
  3. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

OIJ - You move your gelato shop to Omachi because you get too busy in the current location in Hakuba.

TACKIE likes this.
  4. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I wrote about a Japanese proverb 字は体を表す=(Handwritten) Letters embody the person's (true) nature". I think there is another traditional Japanese proverb which makes beautiful handwriting skill is still important here even in this computer - digital era. It's "一事が万事". 一 = 1, 万 = 10,000. 事 = thing. が = is. So, it literally means "One thing is 10,000 things" (or in this case, one thing is everything). If I translate it into English, it means like "If you can’t do this, then you can’t do anything else". Each person can improve his / her handwriting if spending some time for learning / practicing it. If the person can't spend time for learning beautiful handwriting, he or she can't spend time for learning anything else either. It's what the proverb implies. So, I'm willing to pay 1 million Yen if I can get the beautiful handwritten letters of the criminal that @Asama -san showed:p

skifree likes this.
  5. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I liked it in its original location.

6. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Its Ok there is another great Gelato option that opened this week at Dono's hotel which is call 36 Degrees. Not so great if you are coming from north faces of Happo but the new one is much closer to Echoland. We dropped by the new one this week and it was very tasty!

TACKIE likes this.
  7. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

8. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This implies that every cinema or theatre in Japan does this, but it's definitely not the case.
    It's amusing that there seems to be an occasional quirky place that does...

9. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

what about street numbering?

10. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

No street numbering...... but in any case, in order to have street numbering, you have to have a street NAME!!!
    Most streets have no name!
    I live on the corner of two streets, and one of them DOES have a street name, but I don't know what that is....

skifree and person s like this.
  11. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just beautiful

bluestick, Sandy and skifree like this.
  12. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It does make me think about .......,,.:):cool:

13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

skifree likes this.
  14. Ramenman

Some people are tweeting "Abbey Road" in Japan.
    [​IMG]

telenomore, Hyst and skifree like this.
  15. skifree

Pig on a ball wins for me.

M_G, telenomore and Ramenman like this.
  16. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

17. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Tempo's dodgy.

18. M_G

Perfect representation (unfortunately) of modern Japan.

[​IMG]

Hyst and skifree like this.
  19. Asama

Asama Addicted

Looks like they've come for a funeral

Hyst likes this.
  20. Ramenman

Speaking of gender gap, education and health, there isn't a gap now. When it comes to wage, it has been improving (and will keep improving). The most problem is politics. House of Representatives of Japan = only 10% are women and House of Councillors of Japan = 20% are women, so 15% on average. It's 30% in Australia (not sure it is accurate, but very quick google research:p). I think I should not write about politics here.
    [​IMG]

skifree and Hyst like this.
  21. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

If you can not get your own canditate find the one you altogether can control!

(or was it the female or age you were thinking about?)

71 years is nothing! :D Japanese live long.:whistle:

22. Ramenman

I think both.

There might be old conservative people, but when it comes to people around me, I don't feel any strong gender gap except one specific thing (it might be because I'm still young and people around me are relatively young). The one thing is cooking. Couples around me, both men and women work equally & get paid equally, husbands do a lot of housework but somehow a lot of wives cook, not husbands.

23. Hyst

24. Ramenman

One thing to add,

Till 1990, almost all countries had a lot bigger gender gap than now. They've been improving. Japan have been improving too but all changes come slowly in Japan. In the baby boom era after the world war, about 2.7 million babies were born per year. The number was only 0.9 million last year. So, younger people's ratio is a lot smaller, which makes "changes" come slowly. I was born in early 1990s. At least around me, no wage gap and no education gap between men and women. But if I see people around my parents (around 60 years old), there are gaps and the population of older generations is big in Japan, so the "changes" tend to look small.

25. Hyst

I wish you are right, but.....! everything changes when children come.

Even though this is a bit old I do think it is stil the norm in Japan.
    https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2019/03/gender-equality-in-japan-yamaguchi.htm

26. Ramenman

Education (university). Blue = Men, Red = Women. 30 - 40 years ago, men = 36%, women = 12%, so It was about 3 times. Now (2020) both are about 50%. So, it has improved a lot (almost 0 gender gap)
    [​IMG]

Women's average income was only 60% of men's around 1990, now (2020) nearly 80%, and the gap is still becoming smaller now (= keep improving).
    [​IMG]

Politics, it will take more time, maybe, 2040:p?. At least, people here think gender gap is not good, which is important:)

27. skifree

We all need to do better than that. There really is no reason why it cannot be resolved in a single tax cycle except for a lack of willingness to release what is arguably a form of slave labour.

28. M_G

Not just women, also young people are sidelined because of the Japanese emphasis on seniority. People are promoted on seniority, not skills. So younger or entrepreneurial types are ignored.

Incidentally I put this on my personal FB page and one of my Japanese friends, a relative big hitter in the ski business, had a huge spit and furiously agreed with me. He's older too but has been trying to reform local tourism and get better people into place (younger, females, market savvy). However after an old civil servant was parachuted in to head the tourist board he and his business just walked away and cut ties. It was a big statement in a conformist society.

fennekeg and skifree like this.
  29. Hyst

But there are many good things, lets remember that - like Monday - the day to honour people like me.:D

I will be looking forward to that.:)

Ramenman likes this.
  30. Ramenman

Speaking of seniority,

In Japan, older people tend to have stronger power in organizations than Western countries. It's influence of Confucianism. For the same reason, older people tend to have a lot stronger power in China, Korea, etc (Especially in Korea, older people have stronger power). That said, in any countries, the people who are in the group for longer tend to have stronger power in the community. In my experiences, the people who have more cash have the strongest power in the community and older people have the second strongest power.

Speaking of Zao Onsen (a ski / onsen resort village where we own a lodge), till quite recently, older people had quite strong power. However, young business owners have been getting more power recently. Zao region has started attracting a lot of tourists from abroad (mainly from Asia) and young business owners who can aim at those "new" tourists are earning a lot while old business owners are still struggling. Last year, young owners of Zao Onsen made a new tourism organization, naming it "U-50". U sounds like 湯 = hot water (in this case, Onsen = Hot spring), so U-50 has two meanings "Onsen & Under 50 years old". Here in Japan, 50 is considered "young" because a lot of 75 or older people are working. Now, 50 years old or younger owners have started getting more power than 65 or older people here.

Speaking of other industries, if it's kind of a new industry, age doesn't matter much (compared to the average industries). For example, in information technology related companies, age doesn't matter much. I have several jobs, and one of them is a teacher of computer aided engineering. CATIA is a multi-platform software suite for computer-aided design, computer-aided manufacturing, computer-aided engineering. It can cost 4 million Yen, so you can't own it personally but companies own for their employees. Fortunately, I could touch it when I was a teenager and I used to play it while most other kids - teenagers around me were playing Nintendo's & Sony's video game consoles. Now, I often visit some different companies that use CATIA. A lot of 30 years old employees have more skills than 50 years old employees, but 50 years old employees get paid a lot more than 30 years old employees. It's common in Japan, but it's not that bad in that 30 years old people will become 50 years old and when they are 50 years old, they'll surely need more money in that their children will be around 20 years old = need more money to go to university.

Just like inaka villages, in politics world, older people tend to have more power. When it comes to politicians, judging skills is very difficult. I like Politician A but my sister hates Politician A. So, to have the power in politics world, they need to win 3 or 4 elections in Japan. If the first victory is when he / she is 36 years old, he / she will become nearly 50 years old after winning 4 general elections. Anyway, Japanese leaders are at least younger than Trump and Biden;)

#980 Ramenman, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  31. Hyst

32. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

person s, mannyk, M_G and 6 others like this.
  33. Hyst

34. Ramenman

35. Ramenman

#985 Ramenman, Oct 19, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    mannyk likes this.