1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Options for replacing frame bindings

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by NW159, May 12, 2020.

1. NW159

NW159 First Runs

Hi,

Looking for some advice on which direction to go with touring gear.

Current set up is a pair of 183 Faction Prodigy 3.0s with tour f10 frame bindings. Bought on a recent overseas trip to do some short skins to access terrain in chamonix when I didn't have touring boots. Enjoyed it enough that I'd like to explore a bit here and wasn't sure how to proceed with gear.

Usage would still be mostly resort with a bit of side country and once I feel more comfortable and capable, maybe a day trip with a friend. Would more than likely do an overseas trip at some point (covid permitting) and would like to have the option to go on guided tours and also resort.

I can get my hands on a pair of kingpin 10s for fairly cheap (about $280). Here's what I think my options are, but more than happy for suggestions that won't break the bank.

1. Stick with the frame bindings, buy a used set up once I'm ready to do a day trip.

2. Get kingpins, mount them and the frames on inserts and interchange when needed. I should add that the kingpins are the 75-100mm brake and my skis are 104mm. I've heard mixed things about the brake fit so would appreciate any insight here.

3. Get shifts, sell the frames. Would probably also mount on inserts so I can move them to a lighter ski if I start doing more touring.

Issue with option 1 is taking 2 skis on trips where I want to ski resort and back country, particularly if it's going overseas. Issue with option 2 is that my skis are quite heavy (2.1kg each) and wouldn't suit long hikes, but it leaves room for me to pick up something cheap second hand to mount the kingpins on. Option 3 probably works out the cheapest if I sell the frames and means I don't have to buy as many inserts for future skis, but shifts seem to be considered very heavy for pin bindings (not that the kingpin is much better)

2. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

As mostly resort, keep the F10s (a great binding) and get some AT boots.

piolet, Chaeron and Fozzie Bear like this.
  3. NW159

NW159 First Runs

Thanks, was planning on AT boots already. I struggled a bit with the frame/downhill boot combo which was why I was considering pins. Hopefully having the walk mode will make it feel a bit more natural.

Chaeron and Untele-whippet like this.
  4. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

That a beastly heavy setup, especially if you pair it with a beefy boot.

I'd leave the Prodigys as is and put the Kingpins on a touring ski - say something in the 90mm waist range to complement the wider ski you already have.

skifree, Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  5. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Moving from frame bindings to tech bindings is like moving from side country to back country....

skifree and CarveMan like this.