Organising an OS Snow trip

SociallyDisabled

Hard Yards
Jun 3, 2010
Picton, Nsw
Hi All

Last year we went to NZ for a week for our first Overseas Trip. This year, we are looking to do the same, depending on how much it costs.

What I am wondering is, if it's better to organise the trip, flights, accom, car hire, e.t.c. on my own, or using a travel agent. Last year we used a travel agent and it was just over 1000 for it all

So any hints for a travel noob?
smile.gif

Thanks,

Adam.

Edit: Basing ourselves in Queenstown probably,

Last edited by a moderator:

Pepilleeri

First Runs
Feb 29, 2012
Whistler, BC
Save your money for an extra 4 months and go to Japan in January instead.

Better snow, better food, on snow accom and trees.

If you know how to use the interweb, then skip the TA.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
both.png

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Lady Mamabear said:

Because you're a spoiled little brat as it is and where the fcuk do you get off spending my money.

BITCH

biggrin.gif

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Back over to the rage thread TOFF, and lay off Verms special supplements.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
I enjoy planning my own trip, it adds to the excitement, but when I last went to Japan, I found that buying part of it through a travel company was cheaper than doing it direct. So flights and accom were done through the travel co, and the rest I did direct, it included a trip to tokyo.

For NZ, I always plan myself.

As others have said, go to Japan for something new. March in Niseko is great, or was when i was last there.... You can stay up on the hill and ski out from your front door.

churchy

One of Us
Apr 9, 2004
for NZ i would probably just go TA or package or something because i'd be going solely to hit the snow. i'd be vetting the accommodation and making sure it was well reviewed and also doing my homework to make sure the "deal" i was offered was cheaper than retail.

i would also back Pepilleeri's call to do japan instead - save a few hundred a month for the extra few months you have to wait and it will be easy to afford. If going to japan i would definitely run my own show and do my own itinerary.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
NZ is virtually part of Australia...
No need for a travel agent there..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
the snow quality for resort skiing is undeniably better in japan and on that basis, its better value for money.

note this isn't to say resort skiing isn't good in NZ, its just japan is better.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
benchives said:
the snow quality for resort skiing is undeniably better in japan and on that basis, its better value for money.

note this isn't to say resort skiing isn't good in NZ, its just japan is better.

The pork is much better quality as well

SociallyDisabled

Hard Yards
Jun 3, 2010
Picton, Nsw
Thanks for putting the thoughts in my head!

Definitely will put it to the GF!

Might just head down to Perisher for a few days on the weekend. If i can justify the $110/day! (Had to put in the generic complain about aussie lift prices somewhere in the thread!)

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
No reason why you can't do both NZ & Japan. Forget about $110 lifts - try Y3500-4500 (or about $50)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass