OS Hire Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Passport' started by Beerman, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

Sick of getting robbed at the hire car desk for CDW??

After looking at the Rental Co. offerings for CDW and LDW coverage and the exorbitant pricing, I thought I would search to see what is available on line.
    After plenty of searching, I came across a third party website that provides Insurance cover for just this purpose. The site is Rentalcover.com. Cover and pricing seems competitive.

I'd like to know what others have done in the past, and any other websites out their that cover CDW and LDW Insurance for this purpose.

I'm not interested in Credit card Insurance as;
    1. Not everyone has a Credit Card
    2. Major limitations or holes exist in their cover

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass: Gold

Also interested.

3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

There’s a whole discussion in the canada forum

One option that I’m aware of and worked out about half the cost of rental compny insurance.

Shop around for car rental (assuming you get in early enough) and many of the rentals exclufing large SUVs include the insurance.

The only risk if you buy your own insurance is if an accident occurs, the rental company will automatically slug you the lot and you’re left to revover your costs from the insurance company afterwards

4. Beerman

Beerman One of Us

Have done a bit more research on this for our NH trip.

We pick up a car in Vancouver, doing a round trip via a few ski hills and Washington state. Because our trip involves both USA and Canada, Rentalcover.com.au will not cover it, if we were to stick to 1 country, no problem.

I tracked down another crowd called Rentalcarprotection.com.au, underwritten by Zurich, they are happy to cover both countries, however on their single trip policy, it's a maximum of 31 days. We need 32:(. They also offer an Annual policy, it offers up to 60 days on a single trip and no reduced cover/limits.

Now comes the strange bit, the Annual policy was $227.92, while the single trip was $444.16. That's a $216 difference:eek::eek::eek: for a better policy. I couldn't believe my eyes. The PDS and T&C's are identical, just the coverage dates are different. I also emailed them to confirm, yep cheaper and same cover but up to 60 days. So I pulled the trigger.

Two things I wish were covered better, internal damage to the vehicle is not covered (except in a crash) and only $250.00 paid for "Loss of Use" of vehicle if its in the shop being repaired.

All other 3rd party insurance options I looked at only covered the Excess, which our travel insurance already has. If anybody can find another option for car rental CDW/LDW etc. I'd be very interested.

Edit; For a fullsize SUV I was offered CAD$40/day from Alamo for their CDW/LDW waiver, multiply this by 32 days = CAD$1280 :eek::eek:

#4 Beerman, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  5. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Have you checked out 1Cover travel insurance? I think that might cover it?

6. Beerman

Beerman One of Us

Travel Insurance will only cover the excess of a vehicle accident, not the remaining value. So if you have a two car accident and total damages for both vehicles/property comes to $30,000 and you excess is $6000, you will be out of pocket $24,000 unless you have seperate CDW/LDW insurance. The Car rental co. will try and sell you their CDW at ??/day, but it can double the overall cost of hiring a car.

teckel likes this.
  7. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

Hassle v bucks. You are driving on snow and ice. Things happen no matter how good a driver you are. You have probably seen clips of cars sliding down streets on sheet ice. I have dinged a car sliding sideways on ice while driving into a carspace. When I dropped it off they checked, found I had all waivers and I walked away. For some hirings my card may have been pinged for the full value of the car and I would wait until the 3rd party insurance was paid. For others, it may have been an excess of a few grand. Mileage may vary.

8. Beerman

Beerman One of Us

Thats your decision, I'm looking for alternatives

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

I'm guessing all(?) travel insurances only cover the excess

10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

that's always a good option, but when hiring for an extended term, it really adds up - we need a vehicle for 57 days and at an extra $30-40 per day its a big cost on the trip, compared to buying separate insurance.

But I totally agree, if you do have a crash, its a major inconvenience dealing with two different parties, and having the rental company hit you with the full bill, while you try and recover from an unknown insurance company afterwards.

If this happens, the interest payable on your credit card, while the claim is made is likely to wear away a good chunk of the premium savings you made.

We were fortunate this trip, we ultimately found a car with CDW included

11. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

I threw it in as something to think about.

12. bigmac

bigmac Hard Yards

Having rented a number of times in Canada I have found that if you book through the the Australian website of say Hertz then the CDW insurance will be included at a comparatively low cost, I think the do this because they know that most visitors will be unaware of the unusual insurance circumstances in North America. I then cover the excess with my credit card or travel insurance.

13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

I get in very early to do my shopping around. Yes you are right about Hertz including the CDW, but I've found their daily rates are quite a but higher.

I booked with Economy, who offered a Hertz car, because Economy's rates offered on the Hertz car was qutie a lot cheaper than Hertz were offering at the time for the same car.

14. Chillybin

Chillybin Hard Yards

Try carflexi.com gets rubbish reviews but I’ve ised them 3 times without issues. You can choose which car company also from there options. They have cdw included in everything I’ve hired in the past.

gareth_oau likes this.
  15. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

bookmarked!

16. Chillybin

Chillybin Hard Yards

Price is very very good also. I’ve had a Ford Escape everytime. Done 31/33 days including 1 and 2 way rentals. 33 days on a oneway caused issues in theory but never turned into reality. Price is always around $1750 Australian on average with the cdw etc

Edit. Turns out it’s $1475 cad for 29 days this time. Ford Escape with full insurance. $800 excess. Extra driver free. Free fuel(initial tank) specifies to return empty with no extra charge. Alamo

17. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

Just for a laugh, I plugged in 5 weeks in December 19/January 20 and a Dodge Durango popped up for a mere $22,000 LOL

Chillybin likes this.
  18. Chillybin

Chillybin Hard Yards

Get amongst that for sure........

19. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

You must have hit their sales site by mistake.