1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question OTG Ski Goggles selections ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NOT the Site-Manager, Mar 19, 2018.

?

Which ski goggles is the best bang for the buck ?

1. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222753936552

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202141586697

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121548369959

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Any of the above.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NOT the Site-Manager

NOT the Site-Manager First Runs

2. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Are they phishing goggles?

3. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne Hard Yards

I ski with glasses, and over the years have found that it's not just about the goggles, it's also about the glasses you have under them!

If you wear massive glasses with a big frames, then most likely none of the above OTG will work well, and you'll need to think about a visor helmet (I've never tried one of these, and given it's for 6 days per year the couple of hundred $ is probably out).

If you've got tiny glasses, then almost any OTG that fits comfortably will be fine.

I'd hesitate to recommend any of the goggles above, as you just don't know how they will fit on your face and with your glasses (and I didn't check the return policy on each link, but I assume it would be none, or return at your cost).

My honest recommendation is to head into your local ski store and try some on, generally they have a range of goggles, and you should be able to get a set of OTG for about $60-$70.

NOT the Site-Manager likes this.
  4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Planning to get Bolle goggles with prescription lens inserts this year, made to my prescription by my optician. Been wearing a Scott goggle designed to go over glasses for many years but it's time for an upgrade.

5. BenVictoria

BenVictoria First Runs

Im so frustrated! I have to wear glasses and finding a good & affordable pair of snow goggles is impossible.

Why can I walk into spec savers (Aussie Glasses store) and buy a pair of glasses for $35 but have to spend over $240 for prescription inserts?

Does anyone know how to 'macgyver' a pair of spec savers glasses into a good pair of snow goggle?

6. BenVictoria

BenVictoria First Runs

Does anyone know how well Helmets with Visors are?
    I found this site www.snowinn.com which seems to do them + shipping around $250 AUD
    If these work then you could wear prescription sunnies in the day and normal glasses at ngiht.

7. NOT the Site-Manager

NOT the Site-Manager First Runs

Thanks for the reply guys,
    my budget is under $60 since I just occasionally skiing with my family.

8. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne Hard Yards

Unfortunately I don't think even Macgyver could rig up a cheap set of prescription goggles!

Site Manager - have you tried a small set of glasses under Aldi goggles? If your frame is small and flexible you might find that they sit ok (you could even macgyver some frame holes through the foam) - that would cost under $20.

9. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

No, but I'd like to read a first hand review

10. BenVictoria

BenVictoria First Runs

I might do the same mate. At around $250 for the goggles and $190 for the insert. I pray its good.

11. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Do the inserts still fog up?

12. BenVictoria

BenVictoria First Runs

Today I visited AuSki in Melbourne and I had look at the Smith range with their Smith inserts.
    The Smith inserts cost $90 and specsavers will put lenses in them for about $100. Then you can purchase some Smith Goggles.

I will be visiting an Bolle retailer tomorrow to investigate.

13. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

14. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse Ski Pass: Gold

My wife uses OTG goggles and is now on her 3rd set. All fine in fine weather, not one pair any good in low vis, she plans to ski in contacts next trip. Problems come when the everyone is fogging up, the rest of us can remove the goggles for a spell, but that only makes things worse if you have glasses underneath. Long story longer, look into contacts, you will most likely be happier, you can use them for watersports too (thinking diving, snorkling more than water polo).

15. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My other half normally wears glasses , but for skiing uses disposable contact lenses ,then discards then once finished skiing for the day.
    You can also buy the cheap $5 glasses if you need to read during the day.

16. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

17. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

In response to the OP, none of those ebay options appear to be OTG goggles. I think you'd be wasting your money. You'd be far better off visiting ski shops to try goggles on over your glasses, rather than just picking the cheapest off ebay.

Richard and WaitAwhile like this.
  18. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I normally wear glasses full time, even though the optometrist tells me that I could easily get away with only wearing them for reading. The reason I wear them full time is because changing focal length (switching focus from near to far or vice versa) happens more slowly for me than it should and I end up with headaches when I’m not wearing my glasses. I’ve tried contacts, but I have a lot of problems getting them in because I have really long eyelashes. I also find they dry my eyes out really badly to the point where I need to use eye drops every 30 min, and thus are also painful (literally) to get out.

Last season my goggles didn’t fit well over my glasses, so I ended up skiing without them. Strangely, I managed fine without them. Obviously, that’s not possible for everyone. Hubby just wore his sun prescription sunglasses. I’ve since picked up a pair of Oakley Flight Deck goggles, and they fit over my glasses fine. Hubby was so impressed with them that he got me to take him to the ski shop so he could get a pair as well.

19. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I have Flight Decks and found there are quite dependent on the type of glasses you have. If the arms of the glasses are quite thick, they don't work well. If they are quite thin, they work really well.
    I changed my contacts this year to ones that don't make your eyes sore and they do work for about 6-8 hours. Also bought a good eye drops which is more like a hydro gel and found using this in the morning after i put my lenses in, at lunch (not necessarily needed) and on an evening after taking them out, worked a treat. For focal length, I bought a cheap pair of glasses (perscription given to me by Optician) for reading menus and stuff whilst I have my contacts in.

20. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I tend to favour big lenses, and while the arms of my glasses aren’t thick, I can have some trouble squeezing the actual frame into OTG goggles. It doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue with my Flight Decks, and I do have an older pair of glasses with the same script, but slightly smaller lenses that can be used instead of my current pair if needed.

21. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

yea, my cheaper glasses have thick arms on them and would rather not use my daily glasses under my goggles. Hence the contacts :DI believe Smith and Dragon goggles have slight indents in the foam to take glasses underneath, whilst I have found the Oakleys do not. You can get perscription inserts though. Just don't take them off when you go to lunch! :confused:

Peanut likes this.
  22. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

LOL! I’m lucky I can see well enough to not wear glasses, I just get headaches when I don’t wear them because my eyes fatigue. I tend to take them off at school when I join in on sport, and the students all get weirded out. I get lots of “Miss, you look really pretty without your glasses” from the girls.

Personally, the main reason I ended up with Flight Decks over any other goggles I tried on is because every other goggle seemed to leave a big gap between either the top or the side edge of the goggles and my helmet.

LilaGris likes this.
  23. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My wife wore glasses under Aldi goggles this past January. The combo of her glasses shape and the google was a perfect fit thankfully.

Peanut and LilaGris like this.
  24. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I don't know what to say to that :p:D

Peanut likes this.
  25. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I had Aldi goggles last July when I was in QT. They worked well, just not over my massive glasses. Hubby has smaller frames and they worked well for him. Good thing, because he can’t see without his glasses.

26. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I either ask them if they think I look ugly with my glasses, or tell them that I think I’m pretty with my glasses on as well. :p

LilaGris likes this.
  27. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Hah! That was my thoughts exactly on what to say when I read your first post LOL

Peanut likes this.
  28. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I think they’re just used to seeing me with my big nerd glasses on, so it’s a real shock when I take them off. To be fair, I do look very different without them.

LilaGris likes this.
  29. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Buying OTG goggles is a situation where it is best to visit a shop and try before you buy. In fact when buying any goggles I would always try before I buy. We all have slightly different sized and shaped head so what works for one person may not necessarily work for you. And it is not good to have gaps that let light in around the edges.

shabu_shabu and Peanut like this.
  30. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I bought my helmet and goggles at the same time. Aside from the fact that I was replacing gear from Aldi, it made sense to try on everything together.

Hubby would say I’m a little OTT with talking about snow sports, so other than telling him I had new gear, I didn’t really say anything about it. It was only after he saw a selfie I took of me wearing my new helmet and goggles when I took the kids to Selwyn for a day that he was impressed/interested.

The funny thing is when I walked into our local store to sort out a new helmet and goggles for hubby, the staff noticed me first and had really confused looks on their faces as if to ask what else I could possibly need (I blew last year’s tax return kitting myself out). I was like “I’m not here for me, honest”.

I still made hubby try on lots of stuff, but he ended up with the men’s versions of my helmet and goggles. Just happened to work for him.

skichanger likes this.
  31. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I just got used to wearing contacts. Was a PITA at first but worth it. When I tried glasses under goggles it was Ok, but when you lift your goggles glasses will fog, just be aware.

32. skichanger

Some of us cannot wear contact lenses so not an option. After years of playing sport etc with glasses you actually get very good at keeping them unfogged. Trick is to get a little air flow over them.

33. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Neither hubby or I can wear contacts. He has astigmatism, and when he tried contacts, they kept spinning on his eyeball. It was apparently a very uncomfortable sensation both visually and in terms of physical sensation. I can get them in, but they dry my eyes out terribly. Stopping to put eye drops in my eyes every 30 min is not practical, especially on the snow. Also, after the last couple of episodes of scratching up my eyeballs trying to get contacts out, despite drowning my eyes with eye drops beforehand, I refuse to even attempt it again.

34. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I totaly get it... it works for me..just. i still cant read the trail maps...

Peanut likes this.
  35. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

If I could be bothered, I’d look into laser eye correction. I suspect that my eyes aren’t severe enough for it to be worthwhile though.

36. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Both Scott & Smith have been doing OTG for two decades or more, so they would be first start for something that fits and works.

37. Richard

None of those three googles appear to be labled OTG.

OTG goggles have allowance for glasses arms on the sides at the temple, usually just very soft foam and small gap where the firm rim has been cutaway from sealing against the skin. Plus, the depth of the goggle across the face and nose bridge is much deeper than regular goggles.

If a goggle is not labled OTG, it will be impossible to wear glasses underneath comfortably - indeed it will be very uncomfortable.

Can not recommend any of the linked items.

38. Richard

$50 budget for new is unlikley to cut it. OTG are a small run production and low numbers of distribution. Retailers in AU will pay around $40 wholesale per pair so unlikely less than $80~$100. Online from US will be cheaper but post will likely bust the difference anyway, maybe not? If you can source Smith or Scott online cheaply then you can be safe they will do the job you expect of them, would not recommend any other brand unfitted except maybe Bolle for online purchase OTG and they are premium price.

@CarveMan ??

39. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

40. skichanger

Yeah having a deformed cornea makes wearing soft contacts lenses difficult. I tried hard contact lenses and as I found out later, that was never going to work either because of the deformity. Whilst it sounds horrible, having a corneal graft has been amazing. But when it is overcast and the pupil is huge I still like wearing my glasses..Just makes things crisp instead of a bit fuzzy.

41. Richard

CarveMan likes this.
  42. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Milk bottle tops or Joe ninety?

43. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Is that a curvature of the cornea or different? I have a curvature of the cornea

44. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Does it have the Lumalens? Lumalens is like chromapop or Prizm

45. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Closer to Joe Ninety than milk bottle tops.

LilaGris likes this.
  46. skichanger

mmm sort of. My cornea thinned in an area below the pupil so there was a bulge there. I was always told I had keratoconus, also called conical cornea and that I should be able to wear a hard contact lens to solve the problem. Then I was referred to an opthalmic surgeon who happened to be the world expert in thinning corneas. He informed me that what I had been told for over 30 ears was wrong. I cried, with relief, from finding out that the problem was not me. Only treatment was a corneal graft. Since I could pass a driver's license eyesight test with glasses I expected to never get to the top of the waiting list. But I got lucky because no-one else was available when a cornea became available over a holiday long weekend.

Moral is, get a 2nd opinion and be ever hopeful.

LilaGris likes this.
  47. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

ah the days............

Peanut likes this.
  48. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

That's great news. I am really happy it worked out for you. It really sucks when you are told the wrong thing for years.
    I have a curvature of my cornea, I am sure they said it was conical shape. But I am able to wear soft contact lenses thank god. They are a life saver for skiing until you get to the cafe and have to read the menu for lunch o_O

49. skichanger

If you have keratoconus and can wear a soft contact lens you are very lucky. Sounds like you have more than just a miss-shaped cornea though if you cannot read the menu.

50. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I do, I have near sight too. The lenses compensate for that so when I go to read a menu....o_O