other side of golden point pics (hotham)

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Sleep at Spargo's Hut? Cleaned it up for the owner a few years back. Took away bags of grog bottles (seems it is used more for sloshing than sleeping) and bags of kapock from a dead mattress. Worth a visit- check out the aquaduct that Spargo redirected into the hut in order to survive the '39 bushfires.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Cliff Jumper. There's only one bed at Spargo's (old Bill was a bit of a loner), and a dirt floor. While it's quite a decent size, it wouldn't be much fun to sleep in.
Spargos%20Hut.jpg
Derrick's Hut is much more hospitable

Last edited by a moderator:

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
awwwww... someone is playing in maht-warty's backyard are they?, and mahtoh-sooky doesn't like it?

wink.gif

Besides that, going Out of Resort, is bad. Dangerous. Ski Patrol have no idea you are there... the weather closes in, you fall in a creek, you hit a log just under the snow, and twist something. Your mobile doesn't work cos you are out of range, down in the depths of the gully...

and then you die.

Mahtoh is right. This thread is ridiculous.

Perhaps Mahtoh once glanced at those wonderful slopes across from the Village and Playground... years ago.. and thought: it would be nice to ski that.

But no. Mahtoh has no fun.

Hopey1

One of Us
Sep 7, 2004
Nick said:
Dscn0185tn.jpg

At Golden Point. From here, most people judging by their boot/ski tracks, start skiing right, towards the Micks; but what if you hiked for another 5 minutes, straight up and over the hill? From this photo, you can see some boot tracks heading straight up the hill. I won't say anymore about this.
wink.gif

iv have done this, hiked to the top of that hill, but still only turned right down into golden point or question mark. its good but you only get a little bit of extra, ablit very good skiing down a nice open little powder slope before you drop into the runs marked on the trail map. i assume that getting to the top of the hill and turning left would lead you to some pretty good lines, as would getting to the top and going straight over past spargos hut.

are my land marks correct in this pic?
Loch20shot.jpg

Mahtoh said:
This thread is ridiculous. It should be deleted imemediately.
and no, this thread is wonderful
laugh.gif

Heli

A Local
Jun 15, 2000
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Hopey1 said:
are my land marks correct in this pic?

Loch20shot.jpg

Yes :thumbs: In the foreground is the valley leading down to Dibbin's Hut. There are (were?) some cross country trail poles that could be confused with the boundary marker poles, which led one skier down the valley about 6 years ago in a white out. We found him the next morning, a tad cold and lonely!

simo_tele

One of Us
Jan 6, 2005
Hobart
file-->save page as
laugh.gif

all you fools talking about hiking, pfft, skins = double the number of runs in the same amount of time :p

All we need now is some snow...

Hopey1

One of Us
Sep 7, 2004
i wouldnt if i were you SnoKitten. if i were you id just wait for my pics and 1000word essay, and pretend that you went :p

Hopey1

One of Us
Sep 7, 2004
totally agree. you would be stupid not to go out without (at the very least) a shovel, map, other people and a phone. as well as tell others when u will be back and where you are going.

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
I think that if you duck a rope and walk 5 minutes directly in line with the Orchard lift, you can collapse the cornice on the left, followed by two turns and then a desperate attempt to ride all the way back to join the Spargo access track?

Azz

One of Us
Jun 16, 2006
East Gippsland, Victoria
Just checking out the pics......... fantastic
New to this (forum) but have a keen interest in the back country.
Anyone keen to hook up for some hiking this winter?

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Nice thread, nice PICS! I have some happy memories of 2000 - that huge 57 cm dump. Dark One, Flying Dutchman, Yardsale and few others did some nice runs down the back of Golden Point (and also in the Pink Hamburg(er) area). I joined in a couple of days later and still found some freshies. Awesome year! :thumbs:

Thanks for the pics - brought back some nice memories.
smile.gif

Reactions: FatBoyDave

Dr Pow Pow

First Runs
Jun 27, 2006
Sydney
There are also a few interesting tree runs in the off limit area between the Orchard and Spargo's. Often a bit of powder through there when the rest of the mountain is skiied out.

Golden Point couldn't really be classed as back country could it? Although the creek crossing at the bottom is dicey...

**Princess**

First Runs
Jul 24, 2006
Victoria
Thought I'd bring this thread (with it's awesome pics) back to life and find out if anyone has as yet explored the areas concerned this season?

Discuss
smile.gif

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Princess... um. there's the issue of snow? is there enough to slide on, out at GP? and how would you get back? without walking back up?

Heli's pic from 16 August looks a bit sad.

heli_gpoint_16_aug.jpg

Azz

One of Us
Jun 16, 2006
East Gippsland, Victoria
Princess... um. there's the issue of snow?
It's OK VSG, Princess & I both board, so we have to walk out anyway. I might have to look into those 'skin' things one day.

Princess was nice enough to lend me her board for a recon mission out to GP this weekend.

Thanks Princess :thumbs:

Hopey1

One of Us
Sep 7, 2004
there were 2 lines on one tree hill that i spotted on sunday so i guess its skiiable at least, if not in the best condition

Hopey1

One of Us
Sep 7, 2004
perhaps over the back was nice, but one tree hill only had the 2 tracks. one had made about 3 turns and the other just traversed the whole way

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
Any chance of you re posting your pictures VSG? I know this is a really old thread, but I'm really interested in heading over to Derrick's hit. Most of the images in this thread don't seem to be hosted anymore.

I had no idea the back side of Mt Loch was so open.

If the Snowgoose is concerned, I'll tell people I'm doing a Drop bear survey

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass