Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Cabin fever?

What about Mt Skene? 1569m.
Mt Skene is the nearest skiable hill to Melbourne that isn't in a designated ski resort and is outside the condescending clutches of Parks Victoria. I recall that when we went there in August the locals at Woods Point were amazed that we had negotiated the snow on the direct road from Melbourne via Matlock in a Mini. If only the Jamieson Ski Club hut on Mt Skene hadn't burnt down, it would be a nice place to spend a few days skiing.

Further afield, Mt Wills (1750 metres) is also beyond the control of PV and RMBs. It has very reliable snow and a large comfortable hut near the summit and a club lodge down near the Omeo Highway. Mt Wills is the same height and shape as Mt Stirling, although there are a few rather large cliffs to be aware of.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The Great Alpine Road at Omeo always stays open for Winter. It's a primary road between N/E Victoria and Gippsland. It's very rarely shut except for very heavy snowfalls.

Good point - it’s been my view since the start. Just need to make an urgent delivery from Wang to Bairnsdale. Toilet rolls??

Reactions: Chaeron

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Mt Skene is the nearest skiable hill to Melbourne that isn't in a designated ski resort and is outside the condescending clutches of Parks Victoria. I recall that when we went there in August the locals at Woods Point were amazed that we had negotiated the snow on the direct road from Melbourne via Matlock in a Mini. If only the Jamieson Ski Club hut on Mt Skene hadn't burnt down, it would be a nice place to spend a few days skiing.

Further afield, Mt Wills (1750 metres) is also beyond the control of PV and RMBs. It has very reliable snow and a large comfortable hut near the summit and a club lodge down near the Omeo Highway. Mt Wills is the same height and shape as Mt Stirling, although there are a few rather large cliffs to be aware of.

I like your comment Bogong.

Snowgum’s tangential rant:
PV don’t seem to be terribly into XC & remote or BC skiing. AFAIK they spend very little of their insufficient funds on providing said facilities or promotion thereof. Certainly spend less than NSWPWS, which provides an info centre at PB and a hut at the South PV trailhead, yarda...

Without asking it’s stakeholders, PV’s BawBaw manager has watered down its expenditure on Mt ST Gwinear trails; things like skidoo grooming & midweek ranger precedence (few days) - hence reduced safety and less monitoring of ‘Wally Walkers’ ruining the snowpack for everyone.

We know the ‘modern’ PV record towards skiing (including lift skiing) and towards funding activities on Buffalo per se. I’ll rest on that until this thread runs!

Furthermore, PV’s road contract seems to mean delayed road clearing (trees) & ploughing after big events,

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Beyond the obvious ski areas under Parks Victoria's control (Bogong High Plains, St Gwinear, The Bluff, et. al.), there are plenty of lesser known, but still fairly good, cross country ski areas inside parks. I'll nominate a few that are worth checking out:
  • Long Plain - Mt Reynard. Just Beyond Arbuckle Junction north of Licola. Has a few marked XC ski trails, two huts and access to Mt Reynard, the most southerly 1700 metre mountain in Australia. However there are times when it's in a snow shadow from Mt Baw Baw, so check local conditions before heading up there.
  • Mt Donna Buang. Just 30 minutes from the edge of Melbourne, in the 1930s it was Australia's first integrated ski resort. While it's been abandoned by skiers since 1951, there are good XC routes away from the 'snowballers' along the Old summit road and Road Two. I literally wrote the book on the place, so if anyone wants more ideas, ask me.
  • Lake Cobbler - Mustering Flat - Mt Speculation. Quite a lovely area to ski in when the snow is good.
  • Mt Pinnibar. Access is difficult, so you need to be a bit gung-ho, but the skiing is excellent.
However avoid Mt Torbeck, Australia's westernmost 1600 metre mountain. It's steep, bouldery and super rocky, making it a fun snow walk but impossible to ski.

Last edited:

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Beyond the obvious ski areas under Parks Victoria's control (Bogong High Plains, St Gwinear, The Bluff, et. al.), there are a few lesser known but still fairly good cross country ski areas inside parks. I'll nominate a few that are worth checking out:
  • Long Plain - Mt Reynard. Just Beyond Arbuckle Junction north of Licola. Has a few marked XC ski trails, two huts and access to Mt Reynard, the southernmost 1700 metre mountain in Australia. However there are times when it's in a snow shadow from Mt Baw Baw, so check local conditions before heading up there.
  • Mt Donna Buang. Just 30 minutes from the edge of Melbourne, in the 1930s it was Australia's first integrated ski resort. While it's been abandoned by skiers since 1951, there are good XC routes away from the 'snowballers' along the Old summit road and Road Two. I literally wrote the book on the place, so if anyone wants more ideas, ask me.
  • Lake Cobbler - Mustering Flat - Mt Speculation. Quite a lovely area to ski in when the snow is good.
  • Mt Pinnibar. Access is difficult, so you need to be a bit gung-ho, but the skiing is excellent.
However avoid Mt Torbeck, Australia's westernmost mountain with good snow. It's steep, bouldery and super rocky, making it a fun snow walk but impossible to ski.

As always @Bogong delivers...

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Beyond the obvious ski areas under Parks Victoria's control (Bogong High Plains, St Gwinear, The Bluff, et. al.), there are plenty of lesser known, but still fairly good, cross country ski areas inside parks. I'll nominate a few that are worth checking out:
  • Long Plain - Mt Reynard. Just Beyond Arbuckle Junction north of Licola. Has a few marked XC ski trails, two huts and access to Mt Reynard, the southernmost 1700 metre mountain in Australia. However there are times when it's in a snow shadow from Mt Baw Baw, so check local conditions before heading up there.
However avoid Mt Torbeck, Australia's westernmost mountain with good snow. It's steep, bouldery and super rocky, making it a fun snow walk but impossible to ski.

Have skied 3 of your 4 suggestions Bogong - have missed out on Cobbler et al. - have only walked from and driven to Lake Cobbler. Nice place when the SUVs are rare & of course up high on walking trails.

Pinnibar is along drive from Melbourne but is great once the there. Quite an isolated feeling considering how close it is to the Alpine Way & Tom Groggin.

Donna is good fun when the snow is good to say 1000m. Literally ski on 10 cm on closed if cold enough.

Snowy Plans - Mt Reynard has almost endless xc/BC when the snow is good (and it can be quite good); agree though it can be screwed by BBaw only ~ 40-50 km away to SW. Have done day skis from a base at Long Plain but would love to camp on Mt R in one of those more sheltered copses. There’s even one two short (20-30m vert) runs on the southern side of the summit - heading west towards the Macalister fall).

My R is Not a major XCD destination - Pinnibar offers more ie 40-50m vert in spots - unless the recent fires cleared more runs. The pics from the Mitchell’s pre/post WW2 show much more treeless skiing then! Sigh!

yes Torbrek is a giggle for skiing. Leave to Mr T and his snow shoes!

Don’t forget Mt Matlock after a good cold saw blast - may need to drive a long way in the snow though ifMatlock is good. It’s possible to drive in snow all the way from Gwinear to Cumberland Gap(?)

And no PV interference. (;-)

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Oh, I forgot the Matlock area, as someone who is absorbed with the gold mining history of the at region I don't know how I overlooked it, although it does have a rather modest altitude for skiing, so going there has to be an impulse decision when the snow is good. I recall having a drink at The Gap Getaway, an isolated hotel with accommodation on the Melbourne side of Matlock. It would be a good place to stay if it's still in business. Failing that, there's always the Woods Point pub or a tent.

I just realised that this is supposed to be a Falls Creek thread but none of the last dozen posts have had anything to do with Falls. So perhaps a Moderator could move this to a separate thread on non standard Victorian XC ski destinations?

Cam Slee

One of Us
Mar 17, 2020
Tawonga South
I'm not doing any XC skiing. I
Oh, I forgot the Matlock area, as someone who is absorbed with the gold mining history of the at region I don't know how I overlooked it, although it does have a rather modest altitude for skiing, so going there has to be an impulse decision when the snow is good. I recall having a drink at The Gap Getaway, an isolated hotel with accommodation on the Melbourne side of Matlock. It would be a good place to stay if it's still in business. Failing that, there's always the Woods Point pub or a tent.

I just realised that this is supposed to be a Falls Creek thread but none of the last dozen posts have had anything to do with Falls. So perhaps a Moderator could move this to a separate thread on non standard Victorian XC ski destinations?
Falls Creek is mainly a downhill resort. It pays the bills. That's all I do up there, and Hotham.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
The Great Alpine Road at Omeo always stays open for Winter. It's a primary road between N/E Victoria and Gippsland. It's very rarely shut except for very heavy snowfalls.
There's no 'always' about this coming winter. Road opening/clearing will be decided by the govt in large part according to Covid-19 infection containment. As will resort opening.
And I don't see much that's essential freight or commuting between Tallangatta and Omeo.
We'll see.

Reactions: snowgum and Bogong

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
There's no 'always' about this coming winter. Road opening/clearing will be decided by the govt in large part according to Covid-19 infection containment. As will resort opening.
And I don't see much that's essential freight or commuting between Tallangatta and Omeo.
We'll see.

Tend to agree Ziggy. As for the GAR, they could maintain a part time police presence at Harrietville or more likely use number plate scanners and spot checks - be very hard to slip the net.

Looking like a good year to live at ones personal ‘holiday home’ at Dinner Plain.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
the people who live in between may beg to differ
'Local traffic only' signs. But it doesn't often need clearing.
I don't see it as a key link between important parts of the state, certainly not during Stage 3 lock down.
If the current containment tactic continues to limit the contagion then travel restrictions may be eased. But we won't be within cooee of herd immunity or vaccination by winter so gathering density will be have to remain low.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
'Local traffic only' signs. But it doesn't often need clearing.
I don't see it as a key link between important parts of the state, certainly not during Stage 3 lock down.
If the current containment tactic continues to limit the contagion then travel restrictions may be eased. But we won't be within cooee of herd immunity or vaccination by winter so gathering density will be have to remain low.

That scenario might help the business case for low key activities like Xc / Bc skiing Ziggy?

But thinking of all the beach fiascos, once one group is allowed it dominos as everyone wants ‘what they’re having’ ...(humans being a competitive bunch!)

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Yeah it could - but can you see a snow clearing depot being kept open or on standby for a few chook footers in army surplus pants?

One scenario is that over time the virus trends towards dying out. Then or when vaccination is widespread I think we'll see a spending reaction from governments and councils. Their expenditure will have been up and income down. Cut backs will be inevitable. A new discussion of what's essential will emerge. You can envisage how it will run.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yeah it could - but can you see a snow clearing depot being kept open or on standby for a few chook footers in army surplus pants?

One scenario is that over time the virus trends towards dying out. Then or when vaccination is widespread I think we'll see a spending reaction from governments and councils. Their expenditure will have been up and income down. Cut backs will be inevitable. A new discussion of what's essential will emerge. You can envisage how it will run.

Govt & council Spending? Yes could get real ugly.

Harking back to the xc/bc access them (ad nauseum), those with a decent SUV may try to access their local hill if restrictions ease a stage or two. Depending on the type of season (cover) it could boil down the degree of ‘Nannynisation’ chosen by PV / P&W & each Vic resort regarding ‘access with chains’.

Very hill dependent too of course. Hotham would soon be unusable to almost all but over snow vehicles on the Bright approach but Omeo to DP with chains fine generally, yarda, but Davenport iffy?

Falls/Buller would vary a lot depending on the size and frequency of dump so they might just open the near season’s end. Baw Baw is too steep & resort Govt run so total shut down? I could see Buffalo / Gwinear left closed too for similar reasons. Thredders from Jindy could be OK by Sept (down low) but mid winter chain only? PV & CP - forget it without clearing and / or ski tube. Not above 1700m!

That leaves the local (forest) access if gates not shut down in the valleys: ie, Mt Skene, Snowy Pains & Mt Reynard, maybe Stirling from Carters Rd, Bluff, Pinnibar, Wills, even Dargo Plains; all being more overnight/multi night options from Melbourne bar Stirling/Skene. And maybe the Kiandra area for NSW.

And all very theoretical without knowing how the lock down will change. An interesting little winter?

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
  • Long Plain - Mt Reynard. Just Beyond Arbuckle Junction north of Licola. Has a few marked XC ski trails, two huts and access to Mt Reynard, the most southerly 1700 metre mountain in Australia. However there are times when it's in a snow shadow from Mt Baw Baw, so check local conditions before heading up there.
However avoid Mt Torbeck, Australia's westernmost 1600 metre mountain. It's steep, bouldery and super rocky, making it a fun snow walk but impossible to ski.
The Cobberas should also be on this fine list!

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
The Cobberas should also be on this fine list!
I have never heard of anyone who has skied them, I'd be keen to hear about it as despite the height, there is very little area above the treeline and the area below the treeline looks like the trees are a bit tight. But I could be wrong?

Having stuck my neck out on that, someone who has skied The Cobberas will probably reply with a glowing report on the wonderful skiing to be found there.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The Twins too.

The Twins are great as a short day tour. The back (south) side has some moderate slopes and some as steep or steeper than most people can handle. A real mini Feathertop but much shorter time commitment.

The Cobberas are great up top but I’d suggest they’re more of a snow shoe destination (Maybe Mr T could advise?). So many rocks, mostly quite small and short meadows, close trees. I suspect one slope I saw of the east side of Cleft Peak could provide some turns but think of the bang for buck.

Then there’s the old ‘when skiing is good road access isn’t’ phenomenon. Perhaps if so, a ski along the roads and four wheel drive tracks near Native Dog Flat, Playgrounds and the Ramshorn would be the plan.

BTW: in about 1985/86 Wild Magazine covered a ski/snowshoe trip up to the Cobberas. Back in the days when Wild took XC skiing seriously. (;-)

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Yes, the Cobberas are a bit of a hike from the road. It would be pleasant skiing were there cover and the views are enjoyable.
Pinnibar views are great but getting in would be unrewarding.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yes, the Cobberas are a bit of a hike from the road. It would be pleasant skiing were there cover and the views are enjoyable.
Pinnibar views are great but getting in would be unrewarding.

Pinnibar from the north Corryong approach is not hard as long as one has a full size SUV with clearance and on the proviso the snow isn’t deep down low at 11-1200m otherwise the approach would kill off the chance of a easyish day trip from the ski hut.

But with solid Tele gear and mid fat skis it was fine with day packs. Be a breeze c/f say Cobberas or even Bogong. More like Bungalow Spur up FTop with half the vertical (minimimal walking)??

plus Kosi views up ‘close’. :)-)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Pinnibar from the north Corryong approach is not hard as long as one has a full size SUV with clearance and on the proviso the snow isn’t deep down low at 11-1200m otherwise the approach would kill off the chance of a easyish day trip from the ski hut.

But with solid Tele gear and mid fat skis it was fine with day packs. Be a breeze c/f say Cobberas or even Bogong. More like Bungalow Spur up FTop with half the vertical (minimimal walking)??

plus Kosi views up ‘close’. :)-)
The Ski hut in The Corryong/ Mt.Pinnibar area is no more.It was burnt to the ground in the bushfires in early 2020.There is some talk of rebuilding it but that will have to wait until Nov. 2020.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I have never heard of anyone who has skied them, I'd be keen to hear about it as despite the height, there is very little area above the treeline and the area below the treeline looks like the trees are a bit tight. But I could be wrong?

Having stuck my neck out on that, someone who has skied The Cobberas will probably reply with a glowing report on the wonderful skiing to be found there.
There was a really lovely article in Wild magazine a few years back, some guy who traversed them in winter. I’ve hiked up to their summits a few times, it’s a very remote and special place. Not too difficult to navigate once you know the track. The heights above 1800m are actually at the verge of tree line. They’re definitely in a snow shadow from the Main Range, but would do v well with an Eastern Low pressure system of the type that favours Thredbo. I’ve just never had my timing right...

Reactions: Bogong and Chaeron

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
However avoid Mt Torbeck, Australia's westernmost 1500 metre (FIFY)mountain. It's steep, bouldery and super rocky, making it a fun snow walk but impossible to ski.
Mt.No.3 is in the Mansfield state park and is the BC of the Mt.Stirling resort. Access to the Mt.No.3 hut in white season involves a 6.5 km slog up the rough and rugged Road no.3 which is locked just above the end of Carter's road. From Mt.No.3 Refuge Hut it is a 6.5km downhill XC ski ( ungroomed green rated run) to the Razorback hut which is located within the Mt.Stirling resort boundary. Add another 2?kms to King Saddle hut .The return route back to the snow camp at the hut (which has a drop loo and a water tank )would be up the ungroomed blue rated Razorback XC trail which then rejoins the Road back to the hut at the cattle gate. {"Shut that gate and keep it shut!" the farmer exclaimed to Withnail}.
Mansfield XC ski club use this area each white season. Most of the road sits at 1500 M. so it has reliable snow cover in August.
Also in a state park is the Mt.Margaret gap (where it joins the winter gate at Lady Talbot road and the Blue Range track) which gives BC access to the Lake Mountain area and Keppel's hut .
Access to the BHP from Trapyard Gap is a possibility but that is still under PV control and again the road is not cleared at all.
Access to the Fainters from The winter gate at Big Hill Lookout is possible for the fit and well equipped..
"the Big Hill Lookout, about 8 km from the turn-off at Cranky Charlie's corner, on the High Plains Rd.

This is a steep stony gravel road, which winds it way up and around Big Hill, through tall regrowth forest. Far down below was the West Kiewa Power Station, which can be reached by a side road about 3 km from Cranky Charlie's turnoff.

This road is best suited for 4WDs, but conventional 2WDs are OK, if care is taken.

The road ends at a large clearing, the Lookout, with excellent views north over Mt Beauty township along the valley to Mt Tawonga, and almost overpowered by ominous-looking Mt Bogong (the summit of which was covered in fog).

Gated fire tracks continue from the Lookout - the Big Hill Fire Trail, and the West Kiewa Logging Rd.

The Lookout is at altitude 1049 m, an increase in altitude of some 500 m from Cranky Charlie's turn-off, which is at 554 m.
"
As per usual a suitable vehicle and chainsaw and wheel chains are all necessary.

Reactions: Chaeron and Bogong

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Have skied 3 of your 4 suggestions Bogong - have missed out on Cobbler et al. - have only walked from and driven to Lake Cobbler. Nice place when the SUVs are rare & of course up high on walking trails.

Pinnibar is along drive from Melbourne but is great once the there. Quite an isolated feeling considering how close it is to the Alpine Way & Tom Groggin.

Donna is good fun when the snow is good to say 1000m. Literally ski on 10 cm on closed if cold enough.

Snowy Plans - Mt Reynard has almost endless xc/BC when the snow is good (and it can be quite good); agree though it can be screwed by BBaw only ~ 40-50 km away to SW. Have done day skis from a base at Long Plain but would love to camp on Mt R in one of those more sheltered copses. There’s even one two short (20-30m vert) runs on the southern side of the summit - heading west towards the Macalister fall).

My R is Not a major XCD destination - Pinnibar offers more ie 40-50m vert in spots - unless the recent fires cleared more runs. The pics from the Mitchell’s pre/post WW2 show much more treeless skiing then! Sigh!

yes Torbrek is a giggle for skiing. Leave to Mr T and his snow shoes!

Don’t forget Mt Matlock after a good cold saw blast - may need to drive a long way in the snow though ifMatlock is good. It’s possible to drive in snow all the way from Gwinear to Cumberland Gap(?)

And no PV interference. (;-)
Mt.Torbreck in full snow is shite for snow shoes. Micro spikes and an ice axe for the descent are the best way to go up there.

Reactions: Bogong

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Govt & council Spending? Yes could get real ugly.

Harking back to the xc/bc access them (ad nauseum), those with a decent SUV may try to access their local hill if restrictions ease a stage or two. Depending on the type of season (cover) it could boil down the degree of ‘Nannynisation’ chosen by PV / P&W & each Vic resort regarding ‘access with chains’.

Very hill dependent too of course. Hotham would soon be unusable to almost all but over snow vehicles on the Bright approach but Omeo to DP with chains fine generally, yarda, but Davenport iffy?

Falls/Buller would vary a lot depending on the size and frequency of dump so they might just open the near season’s end. Baw Baw is too steep & resort Govt run so total shut down? I could see Buffalo / Gwinear left closed too for similar reasons. Thredders from Jindy could be OK by Sept (down low) but mid winter chain only? PV & CP - forget it without clearing and / or ski tube. Not above 1700m!

That leaves the local (forest) access if gates not shut down in the valleys: ie, Mt Skene, Snowy Pains & Mt Reynard, maybe Stirling from Carters Rd, Bluff, Pinnibar, Wills, even Dargo Plains; all being more overnight/multi night options from Melbourne bar Stirling/Skene. And maybe the Kiandra area for NSW.

And all very theoretical without knowing how the lock down will change. An interesting little winter?
I forgot about the Dargo High plains coming in from the southern side. That is worth a go if XC ski deprivation syndrome strikes hard.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Twins are great as a short day tour. The back (south) side has some moderate slopes and some as steep or steeper than most people can handle. A real mini Feathertop but much shorter time commitment.

The Cobberas are great up top but I’d suggest they’re more of a snow shoe destination (Maybe Mr T could advise?). So many rocks, mostly quite small and short meadows, close trees. I suspect one slope I saw of the east side of Cleft Peak could provide some turns but think of the bang for buck.

Then there’s the old ‘when skiing is good road access isn’t’ phenomenon. Perhaps if so, a ski along the roads and four wheel drive tracks near Native Dog Flat, Playgrounds and the Ramshorn would be the plan.

BTW: in about 1985/86 Wild Magazine covered a ski/snowshoe trip up to the Cobberas. Back in the days when Wild took XC skiing seriously. (;-)
I have yet to visit the Cobberas in white or green season. It is in my IN TRAY for green season exploration first. I don't pull the snow shoes out much at all anymore except for multi night white season pack hauling .I cannot ski with a huge pack on my back. Skiing is so much better. Skinning up hills and skiing down them with a day pack is the way to go!!!

Reactions: CarveMan

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Cabin fever?

What about Mt Skene? 1569m.

Edited 2x - The road's north end gets closed but permits come from 4WD Vic. Prob need to be a member of an affiliated club.
I have scouted that route out but the northern winter no go zone is about 9 kms from the top.There is no actual gate . There is a warning sign only at each end. You could get a suitable vehicle near the winter no go zone at Mt. Sunday road coming in from Jamieson and have a long day tour on XC skis up and back . Start early by camping nearby the night before or staying in Jamieson. Expect to lose ski time having to chainsaw many fallen trees on the road.
_SAM8556.JPG
_SAM8535.JPG

Last edited:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The Ski hut in The Corryong/ Mt.Pinnibar area is no more.It was burnt to the ground in the bushfires in early 2020.There is some talk of rebuilding it but that will have to wait until Nov. 2020.

Noooo! Cant be! So much nicer to camp on boards than in a tent! IMO! :cry::cry:

Reactions: Bogong

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
We now officially have 4 more weeks of level 3 lock down restrictions in place as of today here in VIC..

How can people be allowed to pile into a confined indoor space at retail outlets such as Ikea, JB Hi Fi and Bunnings and buy non essential items
but I am not permitted
to fill up my car at my local petrol station and then drive solo to my surf beach of choice, surf solo , get out , change my attire and drive straight home?
This is bullsh*t!
Mid May 2020 in VIC. could be soonest anyone will be legally allowed to drive up to the BC and do a supply drop for BC XC skiing and snow camping.
. I quite often do my surfing , bushwalking and XC ski touring solo . I do not linger or loiter anywhere and just stop to pee and/or fill up the car with fuel en route.
Frankly I am being punished and I have not done anything wrong

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I like your comment Bogong.

Snowgum’s tangential rant:
PV don’t seem to be terribly into XC & remote or BC skiing. AFAIK they spend very little of their insufficient funds on providing said facilities or promotion thereof. Certainly spend less than NSWPWS, which provides an info centre at PB and a hut at the South PV trailhead, yarda...

Without asking it’s stakeholders, PV’s BawBaw manager has watered down its expenditure on Mt ST Gwinear trails; things like skidoo grooming & midweek ranger precedence (few days) - hence reduced safety and less monitoring of ‘Wally Walkers’ ruining the snowpack for everyone.

We know the ‘modern’ PV record towards skiing (including lift skiing) and towards funding activities on Buffalo per se. I’ll rest on that until this thread runs!

Furthermore, PV’s road contract seems to mean delayed road clearing (trees) & ploughing after big events,

If Parks Vic. do not clear the Mt. St. G. road at all this year then only the 'professional BC wallah' in a suitable jalopy and with the right equipment will be able to get near the ski trail head.
That means wally walkers ( our nemesis along with sand sitters in Lock down for us surfers) will not be able to as readily bu**er up the ski surface with huge footprints. The same could apply to other places too.

Cam Slee

One of Us
Mar 17, 2020
Tawonga South
We now officially have 4 more weeks of level 3 lock down restrictions in place as of today here in VIC..

How can people be allowed to pile into a confined indoor space at retail outlets such as Ikea, JB Hi Fi and Bunnings and buy non essential items
but I am not permitted
to fill up my car at my local petrol station and then drive solo to my surf beach of choice, surf solo , get out , change my attire and drive straight home?
This is bullsh*t!
Mid May 2020 in VIC. could be soonest anyone will be legally allowed to drive up to the BC and do a supply drop for BC XC skiing and snow camping.
. I quite often do my surfing , bushwalking and XC ski touring solo . I do not linger or loiter anywhere and just stop to pee and/or fill up the car with fuel en route.
Frankly I am being punished and I have not done anything wrong
Get used to it. I think it should Level 4 lockdown. Better than being killed by COVID-19.

Reactions: neilmny and nezumi

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
If Parks Vic. do not clear the Mt. St. G. road at all this year then only the 'professional BC wallah' in a suitable jalopy and with the right equipment will be able to get near the ski trail head.
That means wally walkers ( our nemesis along with sand sitters in Lock down for us surfers) will not be able to as readily bu**er up the ski surface with huge footprints. The same could apply to other places too.

Formation of a Mt StG community ski & rec users group with a roster of trailhead spotters for weekends at a minimum would help here. Ask all the beefier lads (or laddettes in this modern world) to spot for wally walkers of all types and kindly remind them that they’re breaking PV rules.

If that doesn’t scare them to the core - perhaps a threat to upload their mugshot to a MSG WW offenders’ page (most wanted)* might achieve more success? :cool: ;):thumbs:

* With real-time monitoring by the Rec Group officials and PV? :whistle:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Formation of a Mt StG community ski & rec users group with a roster of trailhead spotters for weekends at a minimum would help here. Ask all the beefier lads (or laddettes in this modern world) to spot for wally walkers of all types and kindly remind them that they’re breaking PV rules.

If that doesn’t scare them to the core - perhaps a threat to upload their mugshot to a MSG WW offenders’ page (most wanted)* might achieve more success? :cool: ;):thumbs:

* With real-time monitoring by the Rec Group officials and PV? :whistle:

If we are allowed out of Stalag 13 at all and go back to stage 2 lock down on May 11th onwards then we will be permitted to travel to these places. Count me in for any kind of community action that allows easier access to the MSG car park and dobbing in wally walkers who decimate the ski surface.
An online hall of shame would be good.
The same goes for Mt. Buffalo too. Cresta Valley was reopened after the bushfires but now PV have closed the entire park.

It only takes 2 AWD/4 WD cars to blaze a trail up to the MSG car park to make the road easier to drive on.

Parks did minimal grooming and installation of the temporary pole lines last season in 2019. They did not clear the approach road that often . I drove up after decent snow fall in September and my car did fine but all 2 WD had to fit chains and some cars must have bottomed out .

. Last season in 2019 the season started late. The marked ski trail that by passes the MSG summit is useful and has become semi permanent.

I find waiving a whippet self arrest ski pole at wally walkers in a menacing and deranged fashion can get the message through their very thick heads ;-P.
Even snow shoe walkers using the centre of the route mucks up the surface quite a bit.
:-0

Reactions: snowgum

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-into-nature/safety-in-nature/covid-19-update
The Big Walk gives foot access to the Mt.Buffalo N.P. in the event the park stays shut in July. Carrying skis , boots and snow camping gear up that track would be a solid work out !
State Parks as listed above could be all we get for plank action this season.

I have been studying the Rooftops map of Jameson to Licola. The winter route on the Jamieson -Licola Road is locked at the Northern end at Mt. Sunday road.

Mt.Skene is 8-9 kms further on from there. In a long day you could drive to this point in a suitably equipped vehicle from Melb. , hike into a suitable snow camping site and set up camp with skis, ski boots and snow camping gear strapped to the pack . Day 2 would be heading out for a day tour on XC skis with a day pack .Day 3 would then be pack up, hike out and drive out .

Last edited:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-into-nature/safety-in-nature/covid-19-update
The Big Walk gives foot access to the Mt.Buffalo N.P. in the event the park stays shut in July. Carrying skis , boots and snow camping gear up that track would be a solid work out !
State Parks as listed above could be all we get for plank action this season.

Wow! That’s an awful lot of vertical walking for a small vertical skiing!

I know one doesn’t ski Buffalo for vertical but just saying! (;-)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass