Other Victorian XC options

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I have not done this route in white season but accessing Spion Kopje and Mt. Nelse Massif from Bogong village involves parking near the tennis courts at Bogong village and slogging it up the Spion Kopje fire trail.

The creek crossing is the tricky bit. It could be flowing at waist high or ankle high at the 4 WD ford .
After that there is switch back and one of the bends just above the turn off for the foot access to Howman's Gap there is a flat area at a bend in the fire trail. That could be a possible campsite just below or just above the snowline.
There is a reliable stream that crosses the fire trail not far from there, so water is not hard to obtain.

The last section up to Little Spion Kopje is STEEP and you would need skins on your skis to get up there. From there keep in mind there is no pole line . So a GPS and compass and map would be handy esp. if the visibility turns to shite.
The ascent up to Mt. Nelse West (1893 M.) and Mt. Nelse North is a steady climb for a day tour with a day pack but the descent would be quick on skis and rather fun too as long as the surface is not too icy.
In theory one could snow camp near the old Spion Kopje aqua duct if a sheltered spot could be located and/ or excavated with a snow shovel.
As per usual selecting a good weather window is the best option.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have not done this route in white season but accessing Spion Kopje and Mt. Nelse Massif from Bogong village involves parking near the tennis courts at Bogong village and slogging it up the Spion Kopje fire trail.

The creek crossing is the tricky bit. It could be flowing at waist high or ankle high at the 4 WD ford .
After that there is switch back and one of the bends just above the turn off for the foot access to Howman's Gap there is a flat area at a bend in the fire trail. That could be a possible campsite just below or just above the snowline.
There is a reliable stream that crosses the fire trail not far from there, so water is not hard to obtain.

The last section up to Little Spion Kopje is STEEP and you would need skins on your skis to get up there. From there keep in mind there is no pole line . So a GPS and compass and map would be handy esp. if the visibility turns to shite.
The ascent up to Mt. Nelse West (1893 M.) and Mt. Nelse North is a steady climb for a day tour with a day pack but the descent would be quick on skis and rather fun too as long as the surface is not too icy.
In theory one could snow camp near the old Spion Kopje aqua duct if a sheltered spot could be located and/ or excavated with a snow shovel.
As per usual selecting a good weather window is the best option.

Definitely on my bucket list Mr T.

I have skied Mt N West & from there directly down to the creek through the 04’ burnt snowgums.

Haven’t done SK except in summer - nice looking mountain, good ski slopes to the south & rolling Xc stuff To north & east. Not a place I want to be in a storm. A good place to test new skins and who knows? Maybe light bindings??

best bet in early Spring but hopefully before the river gets too high!!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Definitely on my bucket list Mr T.

I have skied Mt N West & from there directly down to the creek through the 04’ burnt snowgums.

Haven’t done SK except in summer - nice looking mountain, good ski slopes to the south & rolling Xc stuff To north & east. Not a place I want to be in a storm. A good place to test new skins and who knows? Maybe light bindings??

best bet in early Spring but hopefully before the river gets too high!!
Yes,Late August / Early September would be a suitable time to do such a mission. One would have to allow three days and two nights to do it properly. The same could be said for the Fainters when approaching the area from the winter gate at Big Hill Lookout and snow camping at Bogong jack saddle.
Maybe 2020 could be the season to do both trips ?.... esp. if the resorts are shut.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Have skied and camped at Spion kopje a bit but with that climb, I think Bogong is a better choice .
SK aspects are limited mainly faces SE in spring , Feathertop is more west and south east, whereas Bogong has every point of the compass also a few huts .
Maybe if there is no official ski season but distancing is more relaxed by Aug or Sept some of us could meet up?.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Have skied and camped at Spion kopje a bit but with that climb, I think Bogong is a better choice .
SK aspects are limited mainly faces SE in spring , Feathertop is more west and south east, whereas Bogong has every point of the compass also a few huts .
Maybe if there is no official ski season but distancing is more relaxed by Aug or Sept some of us could meet up?.

Yes, I would be interested in that. We could start a thread about that closer to the time.

I am a member of the Bogong Club so access to the extra facilities at CC hut would be possible and nice. I would be inclined to slog it in from Mulhauser spur and Long spur and avoid dealing with crossing the summit area of Mt.Bogong which is often unpleasantly windy.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Mt.Clear spur fire trail offers access for XC skiing from the Northern side of Mt.Clear to King Billy Saddle.The old fire trail is easy to follow but it is a bit of a slog up from the Jamieson river valley floor .
:-0
The Nobs Track where it meets Brocks road has been turned into a super highway as of Nov. 2019 and you could get an AWD a fair way up towards the Mt.Clear spur fire trail trail head.
However using Cairn Creek track on foot ( another slog) would give ready access to Lovick's hut as a base starting from the same general vicinity.
Having a hut with a fire in white season is always a plus. Keep in mind the access point for these places is in the Jamieson State Park and not a Nat. Park.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Two more unofficial BC ski locations which are mostly in state parks are Mt. Buckland a.k.a The Gunns helipad and The Northern Razorbackl Helipad via Stoney Tops track.
Mt. Buckland can be reached from Harrietville via Mill Rd., Ovens West tk., Gunns Ck. Tk. and The Guns Tk. It then connects with Mt. Sugarloaf before dropping down to Buckland Gap entrance to the Mt. Hotham resort. The distance from there to the Twins road and the Dargo High Plains road is less than 2 kms.
Yes it is a solid 15 km slog up from The Ovens river West branch with ski gear strapped to the pack but it evades the entrance fee at Mt. Hotham if ski touring the Twins road or the Dargo High Plains road appeals .

The Last 3 .2 kms from the Winter gate on the Stoney Tops track to the Northern Razorback track should be skiable after a big dump of snow and the old helipad is exposed but scenic for snow camping away from the masses. It does require another decent slog up from the valley floor with a winter pack with ski gear lashed to the pack.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass