Over 70s season pass

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Elinor, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:46 PM.

1. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

This past August I discovered that Perisher was offering an Over 70s Season Pass for $189!! (Great news for me, since I'll qualify in January. :thumbs: )
    But went to check it out just now for 2019, and cannot find any trace of it. Anyone know if it's being offered for 2019, and - if so - what the price is???

Am wondering if the marketers pushing the Epic Aust Pass have decided to focus entirely on it for now....

2. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Hard Yards

I contacted Perisher back in August re this and was advised that in regard to the over 70s season pass 'The prices for the 2019 season will be released opening weekend next year."

3. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

That’s bizarre, why so long? People need to budget plan.

Elinor likes this.
  4. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Thanks for the info., Snow Rabbit! :thumbs:

5. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

My thoughts entirely!!!!! I sure do.:confused:

6. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Didn't it used to be free?

7. chrisj

chrisj Hard Yards

They certainly don't seem eager to publicise their 70+ pass at this stage, but I also spoke to them in August and they more or less confirmed it will be available next season. I'm getting the feeling some of the resorts are finding there are more willing 70 year olds than they had anticipated. A number of resorts seem to have raised the age to 75. Mt Ruapehu is stating that next year they will only offer their free 70+ pass to those who already held one in 2018.

Elinor likes this.
  8. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Oh no!!! Just when I'm on the eve of qualifying too...
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed Perisher won't up the ante anytime soon. :(
    Meanwhile, chrisj, thanks for the heads up!

9. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Hard Yards

That was when there weren't too many people over 70 still skiing. Of course now with so many over 70s still skiing they don't want to miss out on the income.
    Got to admit though, that the Seniors EPIC pass is still very good value.

Elinor likes this.
  10. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes, it is. But I confess that being on an extremely tight budget (pension) the Per. Over 70s pass @$189 is much more in my price range...

11. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Shame you can't tee up family/friends who might be buying you a gift at Christmas/birthday to instead contribute toward the EPIC pass (or even the Perisher 70+ pass). I know if there was something like this I could contribute to for my parents every year Id be on it like a shot! Its hard coming up with gift ideas for people who need very little every year.

skifree, Elinor and SnowRabbit like this.
  12. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hi LMB - good thinking! You're clearly a generous and thoughtful soul.... I don't have kids, so cannot drop heavy hints to them.
    The Perisher 70+ pass is what I was aiming at (will qualify for, age-wise, in January and can afford to pay for).
    But the EPIC Pass (even the cheapest one for Seniors) is more than I'd be willing to suggest to my loved ones (who are also cash-strapped). Maybe I could suggest they buy me lottery tickets for it instead...

So I'm crossing my fingers like crazy that the Perisher moguls aren't going to increase the price (of their 70+ season pass), up the eligibility age or eliminate it altogether!!! That would sure be a huge disappointment for me, and could seriously curtail my ski plans for 2019.

But I'll try contacting Per. resort myself as soon as my 70th birthday in Jan. Wish me luck!

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestion.

LMB and Ted Harper like this.
  13. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

14. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

Hi Elinor The over 70's pass for 2019 was released a couple of weeks after the Epic pass. Cost 199.Perisher uses the mushroom concept so it is difficult to find on the website. Go to buy tickets put in the first day skiing (the first day highlighted -no od days scroll down -after 7-season pass click on and up it comes. After writing to Peter B over the past few years finally won last year-it was released at the same time as the Epic pass with the same conditions $49 upfront insurance ski tube add 0n etc-this year had to pay in full -I could have left it until may next year as the price is unlikely to change

skifree, Ted Harper and Elinor like this.
  15. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hi Heathy
    Thanks for your input on this, and the tip on how to circumvent the 'mushroom' obscurity.
    If I understand you correctly, as soon as I turn 70 in Jan. I can go to the Per site to buy my 70+ season pass, enter my first planned ski day for the 2019 season and purchase it there. Correct?

I don't know who Peter B is, but I'm guessing he's the Big Boss/owner of the resort. Anyway, Heathy, you're my hero if you persuaded him to leave the 70+ season pass alone, in place and affordable!!!
    A thousand thanks.

16. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

17. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

Hi Elinor Yes Peter B is the local boss but it seems he is overruled by Vail .My last letter to him a few weeks ago I complained about price gouging since Vail took over-ie 65+ Epic pass has increased from 399 to 599 70'+ pass has gone from

18. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

19. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

...."70+ has gone from...."???? Please complete.
    (Good for you complaining to Peter B!)

20. chrisj

chrisj Hard Yards

Just checked on the 70+ pass (thanks @heathy). Good news for ski tube users - you can add ski tube for the season for $95, so $199 + $95 = $294. In September, I was quoted $335 with the ski tube included.

21. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Good to know. Thanks, Chrisj.

22. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Hard Yards

Why does Perisher do this?? As you can see from my earlier post I have it in an email dated 16th August that the price for the Over 70s Season Pass won't be published until the start of next season - in black and white, signed off by a member of staff. Yet you've been able to come up with it by some nifty navigation on the website!!!!!!
    Don't they want people to ski Perisher or are they hoping that all the over 70s will just but the Seniors EPIC?
    BTW I've also complained to them about the significant Seniors price increases over recent years - much greater than CPI. Their explanation was to try and bluff me out - treating me as an idiot - by comparing the closing EPIC price for the previous year to the opening price for the new year. Obviously not apples to apples.

Elinor and LMB like this.
  23. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hi - Yes, I noted the date you had previously mentioned for the availability to purchase the Over 70s pass, so was delighted and relieved that it appears we don't have to wait for "the start of the ski season"!
    I'm glad to hear that you and heathy (and others?) have been talking with the Perisher staff, and complaining about the price rises. They really affect those of us on v. tight budgets...
    My guess is that they would - as you hint - probably prefer to do away with the 70+ pass altogether and get us all on the more expensive EPIC pass

24. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

Hi Elinor,Chrisj,Snowrabbit-you are all right-they would rather you buy the Epic seniors pass.When I asked Peter B what % of people used the pass overseas he would not tell me-I suspect it is quite low and does not justify the 50% increase in the senior pass since Vail took over ($399 to $ 599 ) Vail have to compete with Thredbo (70+ pass -$159-now $164 80+ pass $39-now $44 ) and Whistler 75+ super seniors pass $179 CAD (local pass ). I have a time share there so why would I buy an epic pass for $599 ($400 over the 70+ pass ) for 10 days when I can ski all season for $179cad The US Epic pass does not have any discount for old age! I am 75 and skied 65 days at Perisher this year (340,000 vm)-IanH on the leader board- $3 a day -that is why Vail does not like us but after paying top dollar for 50+ years I think it is fair. 70+ is free at Falls Ck/Hotham and is closer to home (Adelaide ) but I have free accommodation in Jindabyne and entry cost is lower and the road better.

Elinor and Ted Harper like this.
  25. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

@heathy @SnowRabbit @chrisj
    That's an informative overview. Thanks, heathy!
    Maybe I should consider voting with my feet and trying Falls Crk/Hotham, where 70+ pass is FREE...! I'm not familiar with that area. Will have to check out cost of transport and accomm....
    Much obliged, heathy.:thumbs:

26. jgm

jgm Hard Yards

And it's free at Buller after you pay the $50 for the e-ticket which can be used perpetually. Also, Buller provides free resort entry as long as everyone in the car is over 65.

Elinor likes this.
  27. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Another thought, heathy...
    Do you have to be a local resident (or property owner) to qualify for the Whistler 75+ pass? I'm about to turn 70, so it's a few years to go, but useful to start thinking about it.

28. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Different approach there...like they're actually trying to ENCOURAGE more older skiers!
    I like that thinking!!

29. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

Hi Elinor no the 75+ pass is available to anyone

30. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Ahhh....
    And what do you get in the 75+ Whistler Super Seniors pass, heathy? (Maybe we should all relocate there!)