Overseas ATM withdrawals - best options? ING Direct - $100 offer!

Discussion in 'Passport' started by leeflyer, Nov 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. leeflyer

leeflyer Just Registered

Hi Guys - interested in opinions on the best method to reduce ATM fees overseas. I have a Citibank which I have used previously but have found this can be a bit restrictive on availability? (France, China recently). Any other options?

I have just signed up for ING Direct as they have and it seems like a good deal. Use code FHY047 and get $100! Would be interested in others experience.

[​IMG] Head to ing.com.au/everyday, open a new Orange Everyday account and enter FHY047 in the promo box at the end of the online form
    (this part's really important, as otherwise neither of you will get your bonus!)

[​IMG] Deposit their pay of $1,000+ into their new Orange Everyday account within any calendar month by 28 February 2018

[​IMG] Open and make a deposit into a new Savings Maximiser by 28 February 2018

[​IMG] Use their Orange Everyday card to make 5+ purchases before 28 February 2018
    • International ATM withdrawal fee rebate
    • Offer will apply for the next calendar month when you perform the following during the current calendar month:
      deposit at least $1,000 from an external bank account to any personal ING account in your name (excluding Living Super and Orange One), and

from 1 March 2018, also make at least 5 card purchases using your ING debit or credit card (excluding ATM withdrawals, balance enquiries, cash advances and EFTPOS cash out only transactions).

100% waiver of ING International ATM withdrawal fee of $2.50 and 100% of ATM fee
    https://www.ing.com.au/everyday-banking.html

Disclaimer : both the new account holder and the referrer receive $100

2. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Um yeah. Disclaimer... for everyone that uses that code newly registered also gets $100. Shall I post up my code?

3. leeflyer

leeflyer Just Registered

Thanks Chicski! Just added the disclaimer. I thought I had cut and pasted this from the standard ING bumf.

4. leeflyer

leeflyer Just Registered

Also, have you used the card overseas? Any success with the ATM fee rebate and availability of machines/banks o/s that accept the card? Would be interested.

5. ocker

ocker Active Member

We had no problem with Citibank debit card in France last year. Was not using Citibank when I was in China but had to hunt around trying different ATM's with a number of cards to get one that would work. Be careful with Qantas Cash card. They advertise no foreign transaction fees but it is deceptive. They charge a whopping 4.3% levy when you move foreign currency onto the card but they do not disclose it and will not admit it. I have tried to complain to Apra, Asic and Accc about what I think is dishonesty and fraud but none of them seem interested. Also tried to get Current Affair to take it up without success. Unless you are certain that the Aussie dollar will depreciate more than 4.3% before your trip you are better to use Citi bank debit card to withdraw cash from the ATM overseas and use Bankwest Platinum credit card for overseas and internet purchases and it comes with good travel insurance as well. Being over 70 off-piste travel insurance is difficult.