Travel Life Overseas roaming - stickers

Discussion in 'Passport' started by piolet, Dec 7, 2017.

1. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

A work colleague has enlightened me to roaming SIM card stickers.
    You pop the sticker (has some contacts on it by looks) and it allows your Sim card to be used when overseas via their pricing/plan. (PAYG)
    I travel rather sporadically and as such haven't bothered getting local SIM cards for short stays relying on wifi or a roaming SMS if needed, but this looks like it could be interesting...

What really has my attention, however, is whilst using their Sims and stickers they give you free WhatsApp use! I use WhatsApp religiously so mega handy.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? The company I was pointed at is knowroaming.com

CarveMan likes this.
  2. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

3. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Travel sporadically?

Not every day for work?

4. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Hmmmm yeh well I guess I mean I don't tend to visit and stay. In/out, inconsistent. And it may seem it but Perth ain't OS! Not worth a local SIM
    I have a pretty decent discount code for this mob. Pm me if ya want.
    Won't reply til tomorrow tho

5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

No idea about those things.

I got a Sakura data sim for a 3 month stint in Japan this time. PB pre organised the $10 a day roaming pack with Telstra. When I first arrived I turned my phone on with my Telstra sim in it and it automatically put me on the $10 a day roaming pack...I think that’s new!

piolet and sn0wbunny29 like this.
  6. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah I suspect local Sims are the go for longer stays
    This looks good for short stays, pay as you go and multiple countries.
    I'll order one later on and report back.

LMB and Jacko4650 like this.
  7. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Very interested to read that report.

8. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Also check our GoSim

9. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

It is a similar sticker thing? Retaining your home number?

10. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Ok, took about a week to ship to me. Pretty slick packaging/process - the sticker install fiddly but they provide a jig system to keep things lined up. Worked ok, looked a tad wonky but so far it seems to function.

The app the company provides seems pretty comprehensive. I was (mistakenly?) Expecting to have $10 credit preloaded. Oh well.
    Nice features; 'reachme' allows calls to your home number to be forwarded automatically (at a cost, pre bought by month/year).
    Unlimited data packs by the day at about $10.
    Can use it to make calls from Aus to overseas (and vv obviously when abroad)
    Able to activate/deactivate on the fly
    Comes with one free local number, default USA which doesn't really help me, would be nice to be able to choose that. You can buy more and manage easily via the app

I've attached some standard rates for an example, from the app; calls, data & SMS. You can also purchase the packs.

It's an interesting concept. I don't have much need for calls etc whilst away (I mostly just wifi>WhatsApp in hotels etc and can receive SMSs when out) but being able to get unlimited WhatsApp for no charge whilst out and about is definitely attractive and not being totally robbed should I need to flick data on to get maps or make a quality snowboarding joke on some punter website.

I head to Japan after Xmas and Hong Kong in the new year so I'll have a play with it and report back how it goes.

My guess it'll suit those visiting more than one country and not staying long in those - maybe euro road tripping?

11. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

An update on this.

Working fine! Another set up step to be completed when roaming for the first time then it's easy as.
    Ive been using WhatsApp and occasional bits of data on Google maps and it's working as advertised - WhatsApp comms all free. And the kicker there is
    free chatting, sending pics, video and viddy calling for free (no extra charge) when out and about. And that is where the real win is. I save maps on my phone with Google maps before I head out anyway.

I will continue to use it, for the WhatsApp pretty much exclusively, so no charges past the initial setup.i have a holiday coming up in June/July and will definitely install a sticker on wifeys phone as it'll make keeping in touch a snatch - for free via whatsapp. Next OS ski trip will be easy as to find each other etc as you can send locations and texts for free...

12. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept
    Administrator

I read about these extensively prior to my last OS trip.

They offer better rates than buying roaming packages with Telstra or Optus - about the same rates as a dedicated 'roaming sim' (like the ones sold at the Post Office) - but still not nearly as economic as getting a local sim for your country of visit.

What they offer is the convenience of a dedicated global roaming sim, but once the sticker is installed, you don't have to change sims again when moving in and out of your country of origin. The sticker only kicks in when you are out of home country.

13. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Yep, sums it up. If staying in one country for a period, a local sim is the go for sure. If you’re hopping, this is a great option.
    The free whatsapp deal is outstanding. Just viddy chatted home at great 4g speeds for free. With out that i probably wouldn’t have tried it, I’m usually happy waiting for wifi and not without that for long and can always just message/call home if needed.