Oversnow booking shamoozle

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
The good ones fix our problems when they can.

The bad ones bitch and moan about us being a pack of whingeing a'holes and do nothing about it.

I had a whinge about the skitube driveway being full of massive potholes and damaging wheels a few years ago. Instead of fixing the potholes, they tried to have me banned from the site. Back in the Packer days.

You'd be surprised how high level our lurkers and silent members are.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
I think this year the resorts are understaffed.
There are groups of instructors-in-training all over the open terrain this week. Dozens of trainees. All Aussies, of course, as experienced instructors from overseas are out of the question, obviously. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a normal year, they would have been lifties and customer service reps.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
10yrs at 10days a season doesn't add up to much. Not enough to comprehend and convey.

I was still cr@p after my first 100 days.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Eavesdropping on the lifts is interesting this year. Someone's mate's been skiing 10 years and decided to do the L1 training. Found out he knows nothing.

I bet @Telemark Phat is tearing his hair out. :D
I was thinking about doing L1 training as some type of midlife crisis thing :)

Decided against it.

Who am I to be instructing, need to work on my own skiing, as I have a lot to learn. Went on a podcasting course instead go figureLOL

Reactions: crackson

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.

Decided against it.

Who am I to be instructing, need to work on my own skiing, as I have a lot to learn. Went on a podcasting course instead go figureLOL
Doing a CSIA 1 made an enormous difference to my daughter's (already highly competent) skiing. In retrospect I should have done it too.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Eavesdropping on the lifts is interesting this year. Someone's mate's been skiing 10 years and decided to do the L1 training. Found out he knows nothing.

I bet @Telemark Phat is tearing his hair out. :D
To be perfectly honest my level 1 experience was much the same - they break you down to build you back up without all the bad habits you’ve taught into yourself over the years. I was fortunate I’d had a LOT of lessons over the decade plus that I’d been riding, but it was still a challenge to a delicate ego :p
I was honestly floored how some people came just for the exam week and expected to pass (although some did).

The SBINZ2 was next level on that, it was 8 weeks full time (including the level 1 prep/exam although level 2 skills were being drilled from day 1). Some that joined in just for the exam were back for the 3rd go and wondered why they failed again...

As far as teaching goes - best thing I ever did was the extra Children’s Teaching Cert course. Those skills are so transferable to all clients and make you step outside the “tick a box” style of teaching.

I’d recommend anyone thinking of doing the training to just go for it! Whether you teach or not you won’t regret the time spent and skills gained. I certainly didn’t intend to work when I signed up!

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
I dipped my toe into instructing in 96. It wasn't for me. But the benefits from it have followed ever since. The many hrs of training to get your body into the right position really did improve my previously average technique. In 2018 I shared a lesson with my son (only the second lesson ever in my life). The instructor initially got us to do some snowplough turns, I went last. Before I got to them he asked my son if I had been and instructor previously. It might have been 20+ years since that limited instructing experience but the benefits are ever flowing.

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
I’ve been trying on different days to get through to CP on the phone to change my oversnow booking for the week we’ve got booked there. Apparently I can’t change them online so have to do it on the phone, my only problem is when I try to call CP I’m on hold forever listening to that horrible looping ad jingle that makes me hate CP with every wasted minute. Emailing them about the problem hasn’t worked either- they told me to wait a few weeks and they will try to fix my booking - trouble is were meant to be travelling in a couple of weeks so not sure what that means. I’ve paid a bomb for a week there but dealing with CP has really put me off the wholeiidea
Are you me last year?!?
Underdelivery due to uderinvestment in customer service.
The unprecedented Covid demand no longer cuts it.
Sailing close to the wind imo.

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
I agree all the resorts can be challenging to deal with especially at peak times. Looks like this season is an unprecedented one with the combo of pent up demand, amazing start to the snow and fewer OS staff especially instructors. In fact I was talking to one of the owners at Straight Line Sports in Canberra the other day and he said he’s never seen the levels of retail and rental demand like in the lead up to last weekend.

No reason customer service staff need to be in the mountains these days.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I dipped my toe into instructing in 96. It wasn't for me. But the benefits from it have followed ever since. The many hrs of training to get your body into the right position really did improve my previously average technique. In 2018 I shared a lesson with my son (only the second lesson ever in my life). The instructor initially got us to do some snowplough turns, I went last. Before I got to them he asked my son if I had been and instructor previously. It might have been 20+ years since that limited instructing experience but the benefits are ever flowing.
Yep. Stands out
No reason customer service staff need to be in the mountains these days.
This is true. But nothing beats boots on the ground.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Decided against it.

Teaching is a brilliant way to become a better skier. Geat for a midlife crisis, its the ultimate Peter Pan job.

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
The good ones fix our problems when they can.

The bad ones bitch and moan about us being a pack of whingeing a'holes and do nothing about it.

I had a whinge about the skitube driveway being full of massive potholes and damaging wheels a few years ago. Instead of fixing the potholes, they tried to have me banned from the site. Back in the Packer days.

You'd be surprised how high level our lurkers and silent members are.
well said and very relevant

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I don't think I could be an instructor. I tend to lose my sh!t when people can't follow simple instructions.

Hats off to you all.

I put two wives and three children through ski school and it saved my relationship with one wife and three children.

plazzo

Hard Yards
Oct 25, 2012
newcastle
www.soothingscience.com.au
Had a good experience - first time staying there, didn't understand the ins and outs of the ski tube, luggage and oversnow, so I ended up booking a package that I couldn't actually use cause I couldn't get to the ski tube early enough to make the oversnow connection.
They sorted it all out by email, gave me a refund I didn't really deserve. Only a few minutes on the phone.
Gotta say I am getting excited by this trip...

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
I love the place, but we turn up at the Skitube prepared to snowshoe in if necessary.

We've never not got there, but the whole thing feels like it's run on a granny knot and a prayer.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass