Overwhelmed by Japan options!

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Birdlady, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady First Runs

Hi all - we're trying to plan our first o/s (northern hemisphere) ski trip in Jan/Feb 2019. I originally posted that we wanted to go to USA for 7-8 days and the budget was around $5k, but we've since changed our minds (and got good advice from you guys) to go to Japan. We've also increased the budget to about $7k, and the time to about 10 days skiing (plus travel days). We aim to go at the end of Jan 2019. I'm completely overwhelmed by options and wondered if people who had experience Japan skiing before might help please!

About us: he is comfortable on black runs, I'm transitioning to blue (although after this Aus ski season I'm hoping I'll be comfortable on blues). We've both only ever skied in Australia. I love being able to go through the trees in the quiet at Perisher. I have read about 'tree runs' in some resorts in Japan (does this mean the same thing as skiing through the trees in Aus??). I don't really know about 'back country' or even if I'd be competent enough to do it? What I love about skiing is the scenery and the quiet - I'm not a huge thrill seeker!

We will have an Epic season pass, so we know we get 5 days at Hakuba, but it doesn't have to be Hakuba if there is a better option for us.

If we stay in Hakuba: is it quick and easy to get between resorts without a car? Ie - is it best to stay in one hotel and get a shuttle to whichever resort each day?

Thank you so much for your advice last time and thanks in advance for advice on these questions!

2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept
    Administrator

M_G likes this.
  3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hakuba does have shuttles, but from what I have heard they can get crowded and options vary depending on what part of the valley you are staying, but others will have much more info.

I'd also suggest Shiga Kogen. It is a big resort with lots of varied terrain including trees nearly all of which you can access without relying on shuttles, although there are shuttles as well.

4. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

10 days - do 2 locations. Do Hakuba to use your Epic pass and then go somewhere else. Myoko, Madarao, Nozawa Onsen would be my suggestions.
    Budget is heaps for Japan.
    Funny I don't think of skiing in Aus as being through the trees. But very few places in Japan are crowded midweek so the "quiet" part is easy. In most resorts there are some areas where you can ski through the trees. Others can get funny of you go to far off piste. And some, through the trees is ok in some places and not in others. But at most resorts dabbling in the trees on the edge of runs is ok.
    Forget back country. That is for the serious guys with avalanche training and all the gear.

Hakuba and shuttles - I have always had a car so cannot comment. Others will have advice about that. But you usually only ski one resort each day. Whilst there are some linked resorts - Hakuba 47 and Goryu, in most cases they are not that close to each other. It is not like Perisher which is actually 4 old resorts that are now 1 big resort.

blowfin and Froff Life like this.
  5. Birdlady

Birdlady First Runs

Thank you for this - I've just spent the evening in a Shiga Kogen wormhole - it looks fantastic and good lord it's so much cheaper than Aus!!

6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

You'll find that most Japan ski areas (with one exception) will be cheaper than Aus.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady First Runs

Okay, after more research, Shiga looks the goods, but am wondering if those who have been before can offer advice on which area to stay? Okushigakogen Hotel looks nice, but given it's at the far end of the linked resorts, is it better to stay closer to the middle? Or should we just prepare at the end of each day to make the long ski back to our hotel? If we get tired and find ourselves at the other end of the linked resorts are there shuttles to get back to Okushiga?

8. skivet

skivet Hard Yards

We have stayed twice at Okushiga Kogen Hotel. The ski back was for us not an issue, we had a late lunch around 2pm then would make our way home skiing, but if you decide not to ski home there is a free shuttle you can catch.Some of the best runs in my opinion are that area and the adjoining prince hotel area, then onto Ichinose. If you wanted more central the accom, around Ichinose may suit. A small collection of hotels and some restaurants here too. We stayed at Chalet Shiga, basic compared to Okushiga Kogen Hotel but also a lot cheaper. The Teppa bar downstairs is good too. Prince East is the third accom we have stayed at. The least we liked. Rooms were good but no atmosphere and expensive.

9. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

If you want a taste of Japan without many foreigners (or locals for that matter) with a large ski area, Shiga is about your best option. As mentioned above, read the other threads to get a feel for the different ski hills on offer in Japan.
    Also check out http://www.powderhounds.com/ for reviews, and http://www.snowjapan.com/ on the many choices available across Japan. The snow Japan website is good for accom providers direct email addresses.

Froff Life likes this.
  10. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

The downside to Shiga is the lack of any village and therefore atmosphere. Few restaurants exists which often means you are limited to eating in the Hotel which is missing the point of experiencing Japan especially first up

Shiga has good skiing variety but I would never suggest Shiga to someone making their first trip to Japan, second / third etc for sure, never the first as you will miss out on experiencing what is a great part of skiing Japan and that is a local village experience.
    I think going to a resort that has this experience is very important on the first trip

That is why I always steer people to Nozawa as the first place to taste Japan, it has it all and will blow you away.
    A second resort needs to be added for terrain variety ( and moving to another place adds excitement ) and the very close by Madarao / Tangram resort is the go

Shiga is pretty much closed down mid week, a ghost town as the resort relies on weekend bus tours of Japanese, it feels really weird reminds me of a stage set not in use, hotel after hotel with the lights off..............

The notion of avoiding Australians in the 6 or so main ski resorts in Japan is long, long gone and outside Niseko it is not a real problem
    In later trips we can get you to resorts where you will see very few but not the best option first up for mine

I wouldnt go to Hakaba first up either as it is so spread out and again no real Japanese village and having to take shuttles each day is a hassle you dont need first trip either, great resort and a must second trip in my opinion.

Next best after Nozawa for first trip is Myoko for sure, great place to cut your teeth

john_kr, D64133 and Kash like this.
  11. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

You will love Iwatake I think.

DidSurfNowSki and JoeKing like this.
  12. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you want to get back for your buck out of the epic pass, my advice would be to do 2 resorts like Skichanger suggested. Start at either Nozawa, Shiga or Madaro as they are all lift connected ski areas. Then finish the trip with 5 days at Hakuba.

The bus system at Hakuba is ok, it can get crazy packed on a powder day or weekends and the time tables aren't great. But if you stay at Happo-One you could ski there for 2 days, one day at Iwatake, one at Tsugaike 1 and one at 47/Goryu.

However if you wern't to fussed with using the epic pass, then skip Hakuba (unless you have a car) and do a combo of Nozawa/Myoko/Nozawa/Shiga. I'd pick just two as you lose half a day transferring between. Nozawa Onsen has the best village, but that time of year it will be crazy busy!

Birdlady likes this.
  13. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Ski Nozawa mid week and be at Madarao on the weekend etc
    Go early Feb as all the Australian families have gone back to school.........

Froff Life likes this.
  14. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I haven't visited Noz in 5 years, and never Madaro, but do either get busy during the Chinese New Year period? Tues Feb 5 2019

15. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Madarao, not yet but maybe in the future. It has has new Chinese owners. The same ones that own Appi.

We are already seeing changes. When I arrived last Sunday I could see earthworks across the valley from Chalet MAdarao. Yesterday Madarao Mountain Resort posted a video on facebook saying mountain biking was beginning in July.
    [​IMG]

DeskRider and Froff Life like this.
  16. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

That is very interesting do you have a link to the new owners website please
    Hope they dont screw up what is a great hill

17. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

@Hunter is right. I wouldn't be doing Shiga for your first Japan trip. You want to fully Japan experience with the après feel as well, not just uncrowded slopes with no aussies. For a first trip, I'd recommend:

Myoko, Nozawa Or Furano. Each have lovely villages, good terrain but aren't too unfriendly for non-Japanese speakers. Also really easy to get to to. Hakuba is good, but a bit of a ball ache to get around to visit the various resorts if you don't have a car.

18. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Very informed answer.

Only rider is the extra hassle of getting to Furano which I would save for further trips down the track.

First trip make it as seamless as possible.

Shiga is one of the last places I would send someone first time up

19. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Furano is bloody freezing too.
    Ok for those used to coping with that kind of temperature. But not the best option for a first timer. Great place though.

I loved Shiga.
    But it was super quiet. Driving in and out the same day was good. I wouldn’t want to be stuck there for a couple of weeks if I was used to the Apres being part of the ski package.

20. blowfin

blowfin One of Us

Not really, unless you're used to knee deep snow in the trees at Perisher. Make sure you're confident handling powder, and probably steeps too, before you give it a shot. There are designated tree runs in certain areas at Hakuba 47 and Tsugaike, you need to do a short induction and then wear a bib/sash to signify you've taken the course. From memory Madarao and possibly some of the Myoko resorts have designated zones now too. Some places are a free for all, usually the smaller operations. It's very inconsistent, and some patrols will get very aggressive. General advice is if somewhere is roped or says "keep out", then do as the sign says. Always have an exit plan too.

As for where to go, I'd say definitely use your 5 days at Hakuba at some stage. It's a solid $500 saving on tickets for you. It's also well worth checking out. Worth considering Myoko for the rest of your trip, but try to get yourself accommodation that provides transport.

#20 blowfin, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  21. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Same website. They have not changed the management.

22. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Madarao has lots of ungroomed areas. And there are no real restrictions apart from the obvois roped of ones.

Seki Onsen is not rules except don't jump off the chair lift. They have 1 groomed run.

23. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

If it's an Epic Pass with 5 days free at Hakuba, it's more like $300 of savings on lift tickets.

Vermillion and Birdlady like this.
  24. Sandy

And if you're at Hakuba for 5 days, you can use the $55-$60/day savings on lift tickets, to stay in a hotel that does "drop off/pick up", then you don't have to use shuttle buses!!!!

Froff Life, Zimbooo and blowfin like this.
  25. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Or get a car....... .

26. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Or a car ;)

27. blowfin

blowfin One of Us

I meant for the two of them, in rough terms. $50 a day x 5 x 2 (approx).

And yeah with the money saved on lift tickets, hiring a car there is a pretty good option. Not sure I'd recommend it on a first trip though. :zzz:

28. blowfin

blowfin One of Us

That's way more constructive than nitpicking the numbers in my post :D

29. Birdlady

Birdlady First Runs

Thanks all. Nozawa looks great! I looked at the trail map and was concerned that we'd get bored with the terrain over a week (we think we'll now just do 7 days skiing) - then took a closer look at the length of the runs!!! I don't think we'll have a problem! LOL 5km on some runs!

30. Sandy

That's why I suggested "drop off /pick up" for a first trip to Hakuba

Zimbooo and blowfin like this.
  31. blowfin

blowfin One of Us

Yep, I agree with you, that was in reference to the others suggesting car hire.

32. grantn

grantn Hard Yards

I went to Nozawa early Feb last year, expecting it to be less crowded than mid/late January (which I have done multiple times). I reckon it was just as crowded. Just different demographic - I reckon January is packed with Aussie families on school holidays, and early Feb is packed with early 20-30 year old Aussies. Village was just as busy as January too.

33. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Hakuba........use your pass. You will have a great time. Stay up in Wandano as the shuttle bus is easy and empty (when you jump on) as you are at the start of the route to other hills away from Happo.

34. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Ha, I went to Shiga on my very first Japan trip in 1986. Got plenty of Japanese apres experience, with some entertaining drinking sessions with local staff in one of the Izakayas.

Zimbooo likes this.
  35. fenrir

fenrir Hard Yards

If you are booking it yourself and want a direct flight with a minimum of fuss definitely use your Hakuba pass. It's cheap, easily accessible via Nagano (which is only a few hours from the airport via train) and the terrain is fun. Happo and Goryu/47 are big mountains by Australian standards but can get busy on the weekends especially around the local holiday period so maybe plan to visit midweek. Iwatake is also worth a look, as is Norikurya (although the bus there may cost 1000Y return extra, unsure if its included in the epic pass). No need to drive but be prepared for some squeezy bus rides. There is plenty of nightlife - echoland is Aussie central so go there or avoid depending on the experience you are looking for.

As others have pointed out there are a number of cheap options available via Nagano for some additional days if you want to see more terrain - Myoko or Shiga Kogen are both examples to look into.

Regarding 'tree runs' I would rate them as somewhat intimidating in Hakuba compared to the terrain off the Interceptor chair at Perisher. They are often steep with deep powder and in places the trees were closer together than the width of my skis.

36. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

You need to add madaro which is so easily connected with a direct 40min bus
    7 days at nozawa is too long

Don't even consider a car
    Never understand why you would bother with the pressure of driving a car in a new country in the snow when that country has one of the best public transport systems on the planet

Marty_McSly and JoeKing like this.
  37. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

How many cars have you hired in Japan @Hunter

38. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Because “access”.

39. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

None
    Never will
    Public transport connections are too reliable too clean too easy to bother oneself with the hassle of car hire

One of the joys of Japan is sitting back in comfort on the Shinkansen / buses and taking it all in having just picked up a beer and sandwich off the cart service

Gold...........

Car is flexible sure and makes sense if public transport was poor but it isn't in fact must be one of the best services in the world

40. Sandy

Some people just don't want to drive a car.... And I can understand.

Also, if there's been an unexpected 50cm of powder overnight, and the car is shoe-horned into a space half a metre from the next car, it can take a while to dig it out, so you may not get first tracks anyway!!!

41. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

So true

42. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Whilst there is great public transport in the cities, like Australia, in the country it is almost non-existant. Our 1st year in Myoko we had no car. Our neighbour was so worried about us that he let me know every time he was going to the supermarket in case I wanted to go with him.

43. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

LOL you do attract the snow don't you.

Sandy likes this.
  44. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Some of the best places ive been in Japan don't have PT access. That includes ski hills.

Tonester likes this.
  45. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

All the years I skied in Hakuba Valley (with 2 kids in tow) I never hired a car ...pow days ring a cab , too easy.

Zimbooo likes this.
  46. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Plenty of remote hills that would be better to explore with a car yes.
    All of the main resorts across both Islands dont require cars for good access.

Case in point :

Airport > Tokyo Central > Nagano > easy PT access the wide range of resorts nearby.

Sure once you have skied the main 10 or so popular resorts across both Islands taking a car and linking up 4 / 5 smaller hills make sense

A lot of Japan trips required before a new visitor to Japan like the person who started this thread gets to that point, if ever.........

Marty_McSly and MickM like this.
  47. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Unless you've done it... How can you offer a opinion re?

Froff Life likes this.
  48. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Because I am very well informed on the alternative for one thing.

So you never put forward an opinion on any subject unless you have personal experience...........never ?

Sport for instance, just to mention one subject ?

49. sourmash

sourmash Addicted

Have done one trip to Hakuba and another eight to Niseko. Did Hakuba and another three to Niseko with no car.
    So last five trips with car and subsequently will never not have transport again. In fact, just hankering for better wheels.
    Looking at spending up to Prado level to ensure no dramas and a more relaxing drive - Have done 240km days in a shit box Honda CRV from Sapproro to Fukugawa return for a cat ski day. Day trips from Niseko to Kiroro, Rusutsu etc have always paid off.
    First trip maybe no car, after that don't leave home without it.

@Hunter - how do you get first tracks on PT? Virtually impossible, but what I live for, so car required

Donzah likes this.
  50. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

I've done 8 trips to Japan.
    Countless shink trips.
    This isn't about transportation between cities.
    It's maximising your experience while there