1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ozone

Discussion in 'Systems & Severe' started by snowbarbie, Aug 2, 2020.

1. snowbarbie

snowbarbie Hard Yards

last bulletin on ozone at Halley, Rothera and Vernadsky/Faraday stations provided by British Antarctic Survey(with my underlining)

Antarctic Situation at 2020 July 27
    Antarctic ozone today: The 2020 ozone hole is beginning to form. Ozone amounts are building around the continent as the polar vortex forms, and are lower within the vortex. Values range from around 220 DU within the vortex to around 430 DU outside it. Lowest values are west of the Antarcticic Peninsula. Rothera experienced its first ozone hole day on June 30. The vortex area is increasing and now covers around 29 million square kilometres (msqkm) near the base of the ozone layer, which is above average for the time of year. The temperature of the ozone layer over Antarctica is falling and is now below the -78°C Polar Stratospheric Cloud (PSC) formation threshold in most parts, giving an area with potential PSC of 27 msqkm, above the average for the time of year. The temperature is mostly close to average values and is highest around Antarctica and declines towards the equator and over the Pole. Ozone depletion is expected to increase over the coming ten days as photochemistry and planetary wave forcings play their part.

The depletion 'season' is approaching. If the hole is larger than average this year(in contrast to last) you might expect that the final warming of the stratospheric vortex may be delayed...which in turn may delay the onset of the southern summer pattern.

2. AnthM

AnthM First Runs

That's great news, right...?

3. teleroo

teleroo Ignored Member Ski Pass: Gold

I'm just learning about this myself but I think not great news. The ozone hole is a man made thing due to us emitting ozone eating gases into the atmosphere. But there may be a natural ozone depletion cycle at the tail end of winter because I think you need super cold temps for the ozone eating reaction to occur - but I think humans have made it worse.

The bit about the final warming of the stratospheric vortex, added by snowbarbie - not sure how to interpret this myself. It alludes to some seasonal cycle, and there appears to be some link between stratospheric ozone and the strength of the polar vortex. I was just reading something about this myself yesterday on the web. Also, last year, we saw a persistence of winter southern hemisphere circulation patterns will into spring. Spring rain didn't arrive and the place just about burnt to the ground.

So there could be some link along the lines of ozone hole = stratospheric warming = weaker polar vortex = more westerly winds over Aus in spring (more -ve SAM/AAO) = delayed summer rainfall/circulation pattern = bushfires.

Happy to be corrected on any of this. Just a summary of my state of knowledge.

4. teleroo

teleroo Ignored Member Ski Pass: Gold

5. AnthM

AnthM First Runs

huh, well.. that is definitely not great news.. On the other hand people did help make it worse... by putting ozone in everything, not only cars. Have you heard of ozone generators? These things purify the air, yeah, but also they are on ozone.. and if not knowing how properly to use them then it could be dangerous for living things. I've read on https://www.damagecontrol-911.com/safely-using-an-ozone-generator-in-the-home/ what are the dangers of ozone and how to use the ozone generator. I hope people will understand someday what damage they are doing.