Oztent or black wolf

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Hello everyone,

Seeking help from the experienced campers here.

I’m heading to Kosciusko national park to camp this winter in the public campgrounds. 2 adults and 2 primary school kids.

I’m split between the Oztent RX5 and the black wolf turbo tent plus 300. They both look good.

Has anyone here camped with either in Kosciusko during winter? Can you please share experiences and recommendations?

Cheers,
Luke

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Pulled the trigger on this as well today along with a carbon monoxide alarm. Intended use is in the outside annex area.

FC0E6E9C-FBFC-4EEA-8156-7BFF65DA3C9B.jpeg

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
First set up and test of the new gear in our backyard. I’m very impressed with the quality of the tent and how easy it is to erect. Though the annex poles are a bit flimsy for my liking - I may upgrade to something more sturdy.

It’s clear I need the Oztent fly, annex ridge poles , annex side walls and annex matting. I’m not getting the front annex wall - I need good ventilation in the annex. I can always bodgy up a tarp off the front if it’s real windy. Cost of the tent over $2000 now, which I still think is great value compared to alternatives.

I was going to purchase another single mattress but I’m very glad I did a test run first. Internal space is at a premium and by spreading the queen mattress horizontally, all 4 of us fit comfortably. Though my feet and calves hang off the edge off the mattress which I don’t mind. This setup leaves enough space for our clothes and electronics etc inside the main part of the tent. I think this is the right approach - means I can keep the cooking smells out and early morning I can add ventilation and heat so it is comfortable getting out of bed and dressed.

The Weber bbq doesn’t fit in the annex - I am of a mind to not bring it and just cook off one burner. Though it would be nice to cook meat on a proper grill. I probably will bring it and just set it up in front of the annex. I’ve got a headlamp with a red light to help me cook.

I also tested the fit of the gear in the trailer - all fits very nicely and no need for a cage. That is great as trailer cages make noise when driving and obscure the reverse camera vision, as well as create drag which impacts fuel economy.

Now to pack up all the gear up (minus the tent) so i can season the canvas with the garden hose.

37F9FEDD-CF3B-4234-ADC6-1E44CB545C68.jpeg

553E2A12-5848-49BE-A86B-3D75191B3872.jpeg

15F93B6C-ABAE-4275-9462-F2925FA0202F.jpeg

A1CBB472-1DFE-4987-95DA-5C6D7BEB0957.jpeg

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I hope the wind doesn't come up. And I hope that is not an air mattress.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Spent many a night at IB in a RV-2, just need to be smart with your orientation. Generally have the awning out but put it away with real high winds. So nice being able to stand up and get changed.

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Wind is a risk to be managed and mitigated. As is flooding, falling trees, cars, lightning, wildlife,fire, cold, heat and theft. Also security - we do a lot of camping with friends from our kids school and many were shocked to hear of the child abduction from a tent over in WA.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Well I’ve managed to get not one but two rips in the floor. Surprising as it’s on grass. I did drag it a bit - must have caught a stick or something.

The pack came with a repair kit I need to figure out how to use. I also have duct tape.

I need to also figure out a protection layer. I have closed cell foam mats I’ll buy one more and put directly on the grass and secure with surplus pegs. I could also put down a cheap tarp to have double layer protection. Yeah that sounds good - then the tent can go on top of these two layers.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Don't use a tarp as a groundsheet, if it rains the water pools and the tent floor will leak. Use shade cloth.

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Thanks @Chookfooter you just saved me on the cost of a tarp. Much appreciated.

After your post I checked the back order I have with tentworld - I ordered the Oztent mesh floor saver for the RV 5. I didn’t realise it extends all the way under the tent as well as under the annex.

What do you think of the closed cell foam mats? Either they go under the tent or inside the tent. I would prefer under the tent as the wife wants wool blankets on the floor to kinda act like a carpet. But water pooling might be an issue?

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
I wouldn't bother with the closed cell matt's, but if you do put them inside.
Yep happy with that plan - thanks. I’ve bought them now might as well give them a whirl. They do insulate well against rising cold.

Thinking about it more, the foam mats inside the tent will prevent punctures in the tent floor from foot traffic and if some condensation does pool on the floor or it leaks this will offer some protection.

Reactions: Chookfooter

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Happy with this solution for gas bottle secure, legal transport. 1 x 8.5kg bottle secured to the trailer using $5 straps from Bunnings.

I used an old kids neoprene wetsuit to avoid metal on metal rust. It’s on the drawbar and upright to ensure adherence to NSW road laws. The straps are rated 100kgs breaking strain, which is more than 10x the force of the full gas bottle (needs to be 4x).

There are no single points of failure, it’s not going anywhere!

03545AF5-681A-4FD8-8E80-5AE763C5D568.jpeg

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Happy with this solution for gas bottle secure, legal transport. 1 x 8.5kg bottle secured to the trailer using $5 straps from Bunnings.

I used an old kids neoprene wetsuit to avoid metal on metal rust. It’s on the drawbar and upright to ensure adherence to NSW road laws. The straps are rated 100kgs breaking strain, which is more than 10x the force of the full gas bottle (needs to be 4x).

Is there anything preventing the strap facing the camera from sliding forwards on the drawbar (both sides) and becoming loose?

Reactions: coolair and RustyJ

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Don't use a tarp as a groundsheet, if it rains the water pools and the tent floor will leak. Use shade cloth.
A tarp can be OK too, as long as you don't set your tent up in hollow, and as long as the tarp doesn't stick out the sides of the tent.
We've used one under camper trailer/pyramid tent/hiking tent for many years without issue.

Well I’ve managed to get not one but two rips in the floor. Surprising as it’s on grass. I did drag it a bit - must have caught a stick or something.

The pack came with a repair kit I need to figure out how to use. I also have duct tape.

I need to also figure out a protection layer. I have closed cell foam mats I’ll buy one more and put directly on the grass and secure with surplus pegs. I could also put down a cheap tarp to have double layer protection. Yeah that sounds good - then the tent can go on top of these two layers.
I'm surprised you've had trouble with the floor, my RV3 has copped a bit of abuse and the only actual damage I've done to it was dragging the canvas on concrete (by accident) which tore a small hole. The floorsaver shadecloth works well though.

Reactions: Luke Chell
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW

Just buy a gas bottle bracket and bolt it on, $40 , less hassle & safer , although the straps will probably work, they look dodgy .

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Just buy a gas bottle bracket and bolt it on, $40 , less hassle & safer , although the straps will probably work, they look dodgy .
Also your calculations have not allowed for the mass of the bottle, total of 18kg, if no bracket why not pack it in the trailer against the bulkhead, having lost loads in the past its not worth the risk. Six weeks ago I had a heavy-duty brake engagement when someone in front decided to turn into Bredbo pub, had crap every where inside my van, and that was without an impact. 5hit happens.

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
@coolair The internet doesn’t do it justice - trust me it’s not going nowhere.

Don’t want to pack it in the trailer as the load will be covered so legally not permitted.

Last edited:

Statusdenied

Early Days
Feb 15, 2022
Im a bit late to the party. We have two Oztents, a 3 and a 4, and all the accessories. Had them for years. Been to WA and back with them, and the snow. We love them. Im surprised you tore the tent, but hey, shit happens. We've always just used shade cloth under ours. I put some eyelets in it myself to peg it down. We also use a cheap Kmart picnic blanket inside the tent to protect the floor and also the blanket has silver lining on the underside. If it gets wrecked its just another one from Kmart! We use another of those blankets for the annex. As for the snow, we've stayed at Kosciuszko Tourist Park multiple times. You will get cold inside the tent, even with the fly. As long as you have good bedding you will be fine, I just cant stand how cold the air gets inside the tent. If you purchase the front awning wall it makes for another easy to set up room. That's where I sleep, and the girls (2) sleep in the main tent, if we're only using one tent. We use camp stretchers (and mattresses) so the girls can put all their stuff underneath and be able to still stand and get changed inside the tent. Also, you can leave the side awning panels and front panel connected to the awning and still pack the whole tent away. You just need a couple of small pieces of rope to tie it to the top front of the tent when you roll it all up. Its a bit bulky but I manage it on my own. I do this because, for me, its quicker than reattaching it all every time we setup/packup. Because, yeah, if accessories are not done with a little thought, it is no longer a 30 second tent! And the 30 second bit is exactly why I bought them both in the first place, I'm lazy and I want to be in front of the fire as quick as possible! Drifta have some neat accessories for Oztents. We have the carrier tray and also a larger, stronger storage bag. Hope this helps a little.

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Im a bit late to the party. We have two Oztents, a 3 and a 4, and all the accessories. Had them for years. Been to WA and back with them, and the snow. We love them. Im surprised you tore the tent, but hey, shit happens. We've always just used shade cloth under ours. I put some eyelets in it myself to peg it down. We also use a cheap Kmart picnic blanket inside the tent to protect the floor and also the blanket has silver lining on the underside. If it gets wrecked its just another one from Kmart! We use another of those blankets for the annex. As for the snow, we've stayed at Kosciuszko Tourist Park multiple times. You will get cold inside the tent, even with the fly. As long as you have good bedding you will be fine, I just cant stand how cold the air gets inside the tent. If you purchase the front awning wall it makes for another easy to set up room. That's where I sleep, and the girls (2) sleep in the main tent, if we're only using one tent. We use camp stretchers (and mattresses) so the girls can put all their stuff underneath and be able to still stand and get changed inside the tent. Also, you can leave the side awning panels and front panel connected to the awning and still pack the whole tent away. You just need a couple of small pieces of rope to tie it to the top front of the tent when you roll it all up. Its a bit bulky but I manage it on my own. I do this because, for me, its quicker than reattaching it all every time we setup/packup. Because, yeah, if accessories are not done with a little thought, it is no longer a 30 second tent! And the 30 second bit is exactly why I bought them both in the first place, I'm lazy and I want to be in front of the fire as quick as possible! Drifta have some neat accessories for Oztents. We have the carrier tray and also a larger, stronger storage bag. Hope this helps a little.
The accessories sound nice in theory, but as you said the whole point of that tent to me is speedy setup/packdown. I don't use the fly at all just because of the extra setup time.

One mod I have done is to enlarge the eyelets in the awning, and switched to a set of Supapeg poles from Drifta including the spreader bars.
Makes the awning a tad higher and makes it flap around less in the breeze.

Statusdenied

Early Days
Feb 15, 2022
The accessories sound nice in theory, but as you said the whole point of that tent to me is speedy setup/packdown. I don't use the fly at all just because of the extra setup time.

One mod I have done is to enlarge the eyelets in the awning, and switched to a set of Supapeg poles from Drifta including the spreader bars.
Makes the awning a tad higher and makes it flap around less in the breeze.
I leave the fly on also when packing it up, but yeah, more ropes, more pegs! I love the Supapeg idea, thank you.

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Dissatisfied with the lack of space in the awning and the thought of lugging around all those bloody plastic tubs, the wife and I agreed to make the trailer the kitchen area. We will position it in front of the awning at the campsite.

After much thought about all the various ways I could use the trailer I’ve opted to buy a steel toolbox from Bunnings and add a cutlery tray. Not sure what will go next to it - I may construct a custom plywood shelf that can hold the single burner and protect from the wind.

Now with the extra awning space, I can use 4 camp chairs and an 1800 long table.

99FFB237-1951-4F44-950F-51C48C4AA7CB.jpeg

Reactions: Statusdenied

tot

Addicted
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2005
perth
Strap some of your other gear like the oz trail/bagged stuff to the drawbar behind the tyre and put the gas bottle in the trailer - 100% better way to go.

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Thanks for the tip with the side walls - that’s very clever. I’ll give it a go.

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
And that’s it! All done and packed up ready for the first trip. We’re going to go somewhere close by that is a powered site, hot showers etc for a weekend. Wish us luck.

Happy how nicely and securely it all fits in. Kept it as simple as possible. The only thing that doesn’t fit is the fold out table - that can go on the roof racks of the car.

C88CB2DD-5A4C-4523-ACC8-3AC18C8A38D6.jpeg

tot

Addicted
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2005
perth
Sorry to sound negative but in my opinion that tarp will not travel well like that.
For well over 20 years I have been doing 12 plus hour drives several times a year going 110 passing road trains each direction while towing boats, caravans and open trailers. Leaving front edges like you have will give you trouble.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Great post.

Yes it is really cold, but kind of convenient and easy at the same time. I just take a heap of easy bedding, a doona as an underlay, a bed spread over the top of my -15 or whatever sleeping bag. End up toasty :)

Then occasionally I pull out the WE second arrow, may as well be in a swag, warm like a wetsuit but sheesh it's tight in there.

And you're spot on with the set up time, I've lived the dream of a canvas camper trailer. It's ok with no kids, but never again. I went camping with my RV-2 and my son and my site was completely set up in <15 minutes, winning!!

Luke Chell

Early Days
Jul 8, 2022
Central Coast
Sorry to sound negative but in my opinion that tarp will not travel well like that.
For well over 20 years I have been doing 12 plus hour drives several times a year going 110 passing road trains each direction while towing boats, caravans and open trailers. Leaving front edges like you have will give you trouble.
No need to apologise. Yep the tarp is dodgy. I also have concerns. We will see how it goes.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
No tenderised meat unfortunately but we do have homemade pizzas they’re very good. Come say hello and I’ll offer you a slice ;)

Normally I’m well tucked up in Berridale by the time you’re thinking of pizza menu. But it’s an intriguing invitation i may take up.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I disagree, I've been using those straps for years and have never seen them come loose, rain hail or shine.
I agree the straps themselves are fine when used correctly, in this case it's the potential for wind/rain/braking/vibration to move the straps either forward on the drawbars or from their current position on the tyre which will result in them becoming loose.

We've been on the receiving end of unsecured loads and it made a mess of our vehicle. A full 9kg gas cylinder bouncing down the road has the potential to kill someone.

I also agree the tarp won't stay there, the Bunnings stretchy cargo nets placed over the top will certainly help.

Apologies for the negativity @Luke Chell but I'd hate to see your first outing end in tears.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using