Trip Report Paling Spur/Bogong High Plains/ Cobungra Ditch track.12-14/1/19

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes Ubi really didnot need to chainsaw anything!:whistle:Those fallen logs were just part of the experience!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
About time some body did the Hotham Airport fun run to Maccas via Cobungra along to Paling Spur and back out returning via Brandy’s Fire Trail ...:whistle: That has to be more fun that that crazy run up poor Mt Boging!Time for adventures before the next catastrophic wildfire regime.Team Bears can man the picnic table and administer first aid to the fallen!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I am having trouble trying to upload the map software to the GPS hardware. The software file size is too big for the memory capacity of the GPS hardware. I will get to the bottom of the matter with the help of Bogong Equipment .I will head out along a similar route to that as described above by Ubi. Steve this green season, that is once I get the GPS fully operational with all map software loaded up and working. I do not intend to do any chain sawing out that way nor do I plan to remove any pink tape that may or may have not been used by Ubi. Steve to mark the route up Paling spur.

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
Have you put a micro SD card into it Mr Tee?
If all else fails PM keithy (a guru) on bushwalk.

Stay calm and don't let anything like this happen :eek:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008

Team Bears May need a GPS to find where we have hidden the chainsaw and equipment.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

I had to get the chap at the shop at Bogong Equipment where I bought the GPS and the software( maps on a teeny weeny micro card) to help me put the micro SD card into the back of the GPS.
Now I have the basic functions working and I have the Garmin TOPO maps for all of Oz and NZ. I now have to find a way to upload the co ordinates as they are printed on the back of the SV map of the Bogong Alpine Area so I can locate Charlie McNamara's Hut and Young's SEC hut , even in a white out.

Last edited:

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
That would come under the heading of logging a geo cache. Yes you can use the Garmin E trex 20 for such a purpose. You can also record where you have left supply drops which is very handy.

Nothing to do with logging a geocache Mr. Tee. but has some similarity. The function you need is recording a waypoint.
To add the waypoints from the list on your map the first thing to do is set the waypoint options to the same co ordinate format as the map has. Set Basecamp to the same co ordinate format and to the same CRS (probably GDA94) then use basecamp to create the waypoints. The waypoints can be uploaded to the GPS from Basecamp.

If relying on the info from your printed map in a white out be very aware of the typo!
Check out the paper map positions on your Garmin topo and maybe personally in the green season to make sure they are correct.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Nothing to do with logging a geocache Mr. Tee. but has some similarity. The function you need is recording a waypoint.
To add the waypoints from the list on your map the first thing to do is set the waypoint options to the same co ordinate format as the map has. Set Basecamp to the same co ordinate format and to the same CRS then use basecamp to create the waypoints. The waypoints can be uploaded to the GPS from Basecamp.

If relying on the info from your printed map in a white out be very aware of the typo!
Check out the paper map positions on your Garmin topo and maybe personally in the green season to make sure they are correct.
Thanks for the clarification. I am still learning how to use this thing and the terminology but the basic concepts are not alien to me. I do not plan to replace using a real map and compass. The GPS is back up assistance for me, esp. when I am out on my own and need extra help.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Mr T had better master these technical skills quickly....soon much work will be required to restore the status quo to a few tracks...his chainsawing skills will be of equal importance shortly!

Summer is at hand....time for track clearing ops!:whistle:

We will have to wake Xplora up soon and get him mobilized over in his neck of the woods !;)

After that flurry of winter sports it’s time for some real work.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mr T had better master these technical skills quickly....soon much work will be required to restore the status quo to a few tracks...his chainsawing skills will be of equal importance shortly!

Summer is at hand....time for track clearing ops!:whistle:

We will have to wake Xplora up soon and get him mobilized over in his neck of the woods !;)

After that flurry of winter sports it’s time for some real work.
The topographical maps on my GPS show all the routes( maintained or otherwise ) in the Alpine N.P. including : Champion spur and The Razorback; Queen's spur road and Mt.Buggery and Young's Top track intersecting with Paling spur track in the Bundara wilderness and all the hut locations. I have marked important waypoints on the GPS last night. It was very absorbing ( nerd alert !).I need to fiddle with this device some more but I am making friends with it and today I will obtain a shoulder bag with a bar oil tray included in it for $50.00 for carrying a chain saw up a hill: hands free.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass