Panorama

sperks

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2004
melbourne Australia
Hi
Was thinking of returning to Whistler for the 4 th year in a row travel agent has suggested a cheaper alternative especially now Vail resorts has taken over Whistler any one been ? Comments looking at February

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Hi
Was thinking of returning to Whistler for the 4 th year in a row travel agent has suggested a cheaper alternative especially now Vail resorts has taken over Whistler any one been ? Comments looking at February
What are you looking for in a destination? Travelling with kids? Where else have you skied in Canada?

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
I'm not a fan of Panorama because of its lack of snowfall. When I went some years ago half the mountain was closed and the rest was rather sketchy.

Only receives 5m of annual snowfall compared to Whistler's 11.5m at mid mountain.
https://www.panoramaresort.com/mountain-stats/

Plenty of other resorts in Canada to look at. Let us know what you're looking for in a resort and an idea of price. I'm sure we can come up with a few suggestions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
I have only skied there for a short day on the way between Lake Louise and Fernie, but my impression was that it had a lot of vertical but not much widthical. There were not a lot of ways down. There was not enough snow to open the upper mountain, so there might be more up there.

Reactions: kimberlee81

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
I have only skied there for a short day on the way between Lake Louise and Fernie, but my impression was that it had a lot of vertical but not much widthical. There were not a lot of ways down. There was not enough snow to open the upper mountain, so there might be more up there.
Never mind the quality, feel the widthical!

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
I like that term
Boom, new term to use to describe resorts. Baw Baw has neither the Vert not the widthical, in contrast to Thredbo which has quite decent vert and reasonable widthical. This convo could go bad

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Pano has good terrain options for pretty much every level, and a fairly modern lift system. It's got a nice village, compact and walkable plus a free gondola that gets you around at pretty much any hour of the day. Fantastic slopeside outdoor heated pool and waterslides, the kids will love it for that alone. Excellent snow school, direct pickup for heli skiing in the nearby Purcells if you wanna go for the big stuff. It used to be owned by Intrawest (former Whistler parent corp), so it's got the full complement of on and off snow activities and definitely geared up for integrated family holidays. Advanced and expert skiers will love the ample steep bumps and bowls, and they have extensive snowmaking on the lower slopes for novice and intermediate terrain.

In a lot of ways Pano reminds me of Apex: locally owned, steep mountain, mostly serving the local population plus city weekenders, modest snowpack. It does have more bells and whistles than Apex (from its Intrawest past), and the terrain is a bit more family friendly. Like Apex, they use their snowmaking to support racing in a big way and there's always something going on there at FIS or IPC level. They make good use of the snow they get, with lots of north aspect and high elevation. The notorious 'Pano doughnut' is somewhat real, since they are on the lee side of the Selkirk/Purcell ranges, but it still puts Aussie snow to shame for quality and quantity. You'll get lots of small snowfalls of 5-10 cm and only a handful of 30+ cm deep snow days. But that's the pattern in most of the well known western Canada resorts, this is not Hokkaido or SLC.

Reactions: whether

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Have done a few weeks at Panorama over the years, love the place for all the reasons Sly says above. Not in a hurry to get back there though as there are many other places to ski. Can be bad with snow fall. Have you considered Fernie ?

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
Spent a week in Panorama early this year.
EvkiJJe26pAyMMMTnIqfELSonwT0VGNbe-K6HHcv4v1vSn_nfW5i52-J6CKS-Z9SXynDUYPSz7ChKP1dB4lpOK6Xxj63dMyeIeh6aZdtRP3kIrTs59-sqMN5Kav1Y2x6OeXcLqzmOigp6t-gFD945d59nZTLMfSxN2crtm90nD9vsFCusF40GK3LFfRH1XvI85NyGIcxc0Ngz22Pl-igzfAj3l5-kxiSjCwcaPQkORPT2WP86GAVgBBO-lMx39ieFJ-KkVixImrfkG6C8BXzShCjKQKZ7dChL9h4TsqsANuItL1QzwhzeeKTX9BsAldee7z_O20JHQYaX3RXBo6R4zFj7LUL8tkNegua-T3rZC2xlLRZDWxKh-rVx38MtoIBaw0ITuxIKPYpeJ_Lf70Op0iC9Y5nt27RUwqY2WKTveqdePVdhluRbDunMPDWKvru1A7Du7F_PninyvIAjBvZWQKLKk0WeSicsnn1678hDyBoUxQCpOk27q9waw-GjqQvp9i1Tz6ZlgwKsbBFhs9h67qB-m9Zs6gZ0LWO4o5ocD4CPwEbnw3d8NiyJJKgckMeN_Z_J_as_SE_qQZB35nj4TOvnj4hnq3STS_GQ6xxhgeMJpBgROPD=w1372-h772-no

We were in luck as it had just snowed and got a few falls during the week. But it was soooo cold. We only skied on 2 days so we could not get a full appreciation of the ski area, but thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The village is small and friendly, the food was good, the supermarket was hopeless, the scenery spectacular.

2Y-sz7msr90DP6zXSt7DO-TpbMCp_4aj8ri1MELSxDvtMMq4x-YYgfDpHhTjIvA5l0RImAB0aV09SAwl4cUg7H7ARQQTOIMjF4gU-cqBvajMnkBmih9vDQeDBpu0NtBuBQzjjBfvNSOtbNEVjmF3Yqn7Zyyo-cKiu2C8e444Fvi0RKdV-YlwWHfawRgeiNhKXgUsixP7-CWiG_YhSxuvk8Gh2JRrSge_aAbzxe_eTkB4RNV0Dkijc9cP5pgAlxQ_lDtrJ9VY0LnXDtrUgnDPyDPNacwpf3BxFqfshVpkChm69nC1t-t2k-p8XWsiX275a5UENHDz3aRU2U2dKMAQQvcvLAdBHh9OVpVwXwxqyzXO3E6a59iPVUVt2hNIUI2Yh98zHtCZMRkFqje0O_5Q-X240VgtzvdgEslUHUdb2Sm9Pz3HQQ2d462sRcHYRx5USgqsTOJc5lJTKXhcgICf-GzZbNtoiw32wcOD2Oruge3H1RzGQUHguVwT95Z2RUQeDV0p0hznGziKZKwDq-jfd06n6FjsivajcXftMje-SySxDHYfOozKtZgwN3a6Ji0gzvMlKufSKV6oRFFlZWiBZ0UpRvq6mn0PzFfnE50NTqwpVXELbCqj=w1372-h772-no

Hot pools.

Last edited:

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
All relative PK, 600+ cm a year is well more than any of the Aussie resorts will ever see. Not to mention smaller crowds spread out over more hectares. As I noted recently in another thread, the best known interior resorts (BW, SS, SP) all nominally lie within the snow shadow behind the coast mountains. Their elevation gives them a leg up though, all in the 600-700 cm a year range whilst the nearby towns down in the valleys below barely get a tenth of that. If mere snowfall statistics were the only thing that mattered, then we'd see a rash of resorts dotted along the coast range and they'd make interior skiing obsolete, after all that. Whereas of course the reality is there's Whistler and nothing much else for destination resorts anywhere else in the BC Coast Range or the Washington Cascades. Statistics never tell the full story.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
All relative PK, 600+ cm a year is well more than any of the Aussie resorts will ever see.
Well the official numbers from the Panorama website say 500cm a season. Now while I agree that's still good compared to Aussie resorts the Aussie resorts are only a few hours drive away from most Sydney and Melbourne residents. Panorama requires us to travel to the other side of the world which means a lot more time and money than popping up to an Aussie resort for the weekend. Personally if I'm spending that amount of travel time and money I'd like to at least have the odds of fresh snow more in my favour. Nothing worse than going on an overseas ski holiday to find hardly any snow.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Well the official numbers from the Panorama website say 500cm a season. Now while I agree that's still good compared to Aussie resorts the Aussie resorts are only a few hours drive away from most Sydney and Melbourne residents. Panorama requires us to travel to the other side of the world which means a lot more time and money than popping up to an Aussie resort for the weekend. Personally if I'm spending that amount of travel time and money I'd like to at least have the odds of fresh snow more in my favour. Nothing worse than going on an overseas ski holiday to find hardly any snow.
The important thing is that people are well informed about where they go. All resorts have strengths and weaknesses and good planning is all about choosing somewhere that is strong in the areas that matter most to you. For example, don't complain that you didn't ski a foot a fresh powder during your week in January at Lake Louise. Likewise, don't go to Snowbird and complain that the mountain is too steep and there's too much snow.

sperks

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2004
melbourne Australia
Thanks every one for your replies I'm a solo traveller getting on in age have skied In Canada before at several places over the years Happy to cruise ski Mount Buller in the Australian season
Have decided I'll give Panorama a go as been able to get a good deal on accomodation.
And look at it this way your on holidays and the worst days skiing is better than the best day working !
Looking forward to checking out a new resort

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
Thanks every one for your replies I'm a solo traveller getting on in age have skied In Canada before at several places over the years Happy to cruise ski Mount Buller in the Australian season
Have decided I'll give Panorama a go as been able to get a good deal on accomodation.
And look at it this way your on holidays and the worst days skiing is better than the best day working !
We look forward to your report in due couse.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
You'll love it, make use of the outdoor hot tubs, beautiful. Also don't forget to book a meal up at the heli ski place, great food.

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Its a great resort. Will be plenty of snow, friendly people, many things to do. You must do the snowmobile tour. Awesome views and a huge bowl at the top to BLAST around in powder snow.

whether

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2014
Stunning scenery
Yeah. Top of the World run they have the view of 1,000 peaks.Fantastic views every which way. The large heated pool at the bottom is fantastic as well after a days skiing. We spent a week there many years ago now.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass