1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Parking and Chain Questions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Powder777, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Powder777

Powder777 Hard Yards

Hi everyone,

I am heading up to Falls for the first time this Thu-Saturday, staying off-mountain so would need to use day parking.

1) Parking
    I have heard that there is a bit of a parking problem and the day car park fills up easily, especially on the weekend? Is that correct?

And if yes, from what time would it roughly be full?
    I am more like a "not getting up super early, but always stay until the last lift run" type of snowboarder...so the parking issue worries me a bit.

And what are the options after the car park fills up?

Is it possible to park lower down the mountain on a chain fitting bay and then a resort bus picks us up or something similar like that (that worked last year in Perisher^^)

2) Chain

Do they differ between "fitting chains for 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive similar like on Mount Buller? Or does everyone always have to fit chain?

I just hope that we can get away with not fitting them in our 4wheel drive if it just snows a little bit^^

And is there a sign at the resort entry gate if we need to fit chains?

Resort Entry is pre-purchased online already, so taking a bus would not be an option anymore for this time.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Hully

Hully One of Us

Car parks the past couple of weekends have been pretty full from about 9:00am...though you will still find a park. I would go straight to Windy Corner and ski down the last part of Wombat's or catch the car park shuttle back to FX. Should not have to fit chains to 4WD, but you MUST carry them. Vic Pol have been pretty hot on checking because we have been getting a lot of people arriving without chains....even in the middle of forecasted snow storms. If you have to fit at a chain bay the sign will say "No Entry without Chains Fitted", with a supplementary sign that will in 99% of cases for Falls Creek say "Engaged 4WD Excepted". The rules are different to Mt Buller...all vehicles must carry chains at all times past the sign just on the Falls Creek side of the orange bridge from Queen's Birthday weekend till end September....regardless of weather or snow conditions.

currawong likes this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Just expanding on what Hully said, Windy Corner is the top car park, above the lift bases. It is mainly used for xc and tobogganers, but you can still use it for downhill. The wombats ramble ski run is very close to it. Standing in the windy corner carpark and looking at the day shelter, it is to the right, up a short incline. Walk up to the ski slope and follow it down to bottom of Falls Creek Express where you can buy a lift ticket if you have not already loaded your snowpass. The cafe at Windy Corner is also the cheapest on the mountain if you want basic fare.

Otherwise, even if you end up being parked in a spot further away, there is a shuttle bus that will take you back to the lifts. It is extremely rare for there to be no parking at all - 4thj Saturday in August is the danger day when they run out because of the huge Hoppet xc race that day.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Parking was pretty tight in the day parking the second week of school holidays (sure there was heaps of fresh).

5. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

PM incoming re the trip

6. Powder777

Powder777 Hard Yards

Thanks a lot for all the useful tips and advice :)

Will park at Windy Corner if the other car park look very full, spotted Windy corner on the map already.
    Weather forecast is not sunny for the next days, so that may keep a few people away from the mountain anyway.

We do carry chains, just don't want to go though the hassle to put them on if it can be avoided somehow (remember last year at Perisher, it was a nightmare to put them on in a snowstorm on a 2wheel drive^^)

@Moondogo55: Our car is totally full, can not car pool this time, sorry

7. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Thanx anyway for thinking of me. I have secured a ride up tonite [ Wed 23rd] to Mt Beauty and I'll try and hitch up to Turnback, otherwise I'll bivvy with my gear and try in the AM tomorrow.