1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Parking at Hotham airport?

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by sjm, Feb 11, 2010.

1. sjm

sjm Hard Yards

Can I leave a car parked at Mt Hotham Airport for a few days?
    Is it private property? Likely to be fined/clamped/towed?

2. Flakey

Flakey First Runs

Are you trying to avoid the winter resort entry fees? Or are you heading up there out-of-season wanting a place to park?

3. sjm

sjm Hard Yards

Out of season. Looking at walking a loop around the southern edge of the BHP, and the airport seems like a good place to start/finish.

4. Flakey

Flakey First Runs

Cool. Just chatting with Yardsale. He made a good suggestion. Just leave a note on your windscreen with your name and mobile # and a rough itinerary (eg how many days gone and rough route). No-one is likely to care so long as they know what the car is there for and where you are.

He also suggested an alternative plan that may also suit - park in the Loch Car Park (near the poo farm) and walk out to the far Orchard lifts, then south-east to Golden Point, then north-east over Cobungra Gap and over to the BHP. Likely to be more cars at Loch. Probably still good to put a note on the car. Have fun!

5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If you want to get to the BHP from the eastern section of the GAR, there is a 4WD road leading down from the top of the hairpin bend to the Cobungra River and then onto Mt Battery and McNamara's Hut on (the northern) Dinner Plain. Then walk on foodpads to Young's Hut on Mt Jim. About 2km of the route near the start is on a private road on freehold land. But the owners don't seem to mind if you just walk straight through their farm on the road to the river without stopping.

Another good route is to take the 4WD road past the old Brandy Creek open cut mine to the Cobungra River and then upstream on an okayish track paralleling the river, then Swindlers's Creek before crossing back to the river. The last few km are on a vague footpad towards Dibbin's Hut, but downstream the track is usually okay. If you're feeling especially "courageous", you can turn north before you get to Dibbin's and scrub bash up the formidable Paling Spur and end up near Young's Hut.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

#6 Yardsale, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  7. Bogong

Yep Yardy. Your map shows the one I was talking about in my first paragraph, it's almost due south of Mt Battery.

8. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

You could always try ringing the Ski company who own the airport 03 5759 4444 ... I am sure they will have absolutely no issues with you doing it, but would probably appreciate the headsup! [​IMG]

#8 trappers, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. sjm

sjm Hard Yards

Thanks guys. I'm looking at heading north from the airport down and up to McNamara Hut (Dinner Plain), then across to Youngs, up over Mt Jim to Tawonga huts, down past the ruins of Westons, up Machinery Spur, over Mt Loch, through Hotham village, then down past Brandy Creek Mine, up Paling Spur, back to McNamara hut, then down and up to the airport.

10. Bogong

How are you getting from the airport to Mac's Hut, scrub bashing? [​IMG]

You do know that scrub bashing that route will be very exhausting and take a very long time!

If this thread was in back country, people would be much less diplomatic than that!

#10 Bogong, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  11. sjm

sjm Hard Yards

There is a well defined track (I don't know it's name) that runs from the north west corner of the airport down the obvious spur, crosses the river, then back up to the hut.

12. Bogong

Thanks SJM, I didn't know about that one, I will have to check it out.

Sorry for being so cocky to think that I knew everything in that area!

13. sjm

sjm Hard Yards

I'm sure there are many who remember this track from the pre-airport days. It used to run from the GAR, across Horsehair plain, then down the spur to the river. When the airport was constructed, the runway sliced through the track - the section from the GAR was sealed to become the airport access road. The section on the other side of the runway still remains a popular route to access the river. In fact, there is now a dog-leg track that runs around the western end of the runway and meets up with the original track before it drops down the spur. However, vehicle access is only possible down to the river. Once you start up the other side, it becomes a foot track only.

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Mmmm.Interesting. I will have to investigate this route someday in a green season walk.

15. cookieman

cookieman One of Us

There is plenty of free and safe parking at Dinner Plain this time of year.
    Watch out for snakes, there are plenty about.

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes I have gone that way prior to runway development.
    Hopefully foot track on other side is still in use by horse parties.
    Parks and Hotham Resort should pick up on this! And try to keep this access open out to Maccas....as it enables a loop to be made from GAR.....where foot track comes out on top plateau is an old 4x4 track.
    I think I sussed it out as it looks direct and saves many miles!
    Good for tourism to have these Access tracks maintained......Dinnner Plain Resort could benefit from putting this up as an interesting walk over a couple of days.
    Sjm is on the money regarding route descriptions......probably a better walk than along track followed by MR.T as he came back from Spargo in the blazing sun on the old race track.

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Perhaps somebody could take a chainsaw on a little walk up this way??

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Team leader should get out there and give that track a trim with the chainsaw.

19. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I did Paling spur a few weeks back, whilst someone has pink ribboned it, it’s a shocker at present, and my bare legs got pretty cut up.
    Track is easy once up in the Alpine although lots of brumbies which are creating lots of false trails.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  20. Minion

Minion Hard Yards

Quick google came up with these contact details; Jason Williams, Airport Manager, (03) 5159 6777. Give him a call and I am sure he would appreciate you letting him know that you are leaving your car in the car park.

21. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Jason is a great bloke.

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I didn't find Paling spur to be that bad. I was wearing long sleeves, cycling gloves and knee high gaiters . It was bushy , scrubby and steep. The Team Leader has recently put pink flagging tape along the route which was very handy. The Rolling snow plains past the top of Paling spur were harder in terms of staying on course. It is a trackless wilderness out there, but I am fascinated by it now and wish to investigate further. Does anyone have the GPS co ordinates for Young's Hut to McNamara's hut ( Young's top )?.

23. Ubiquitous Steve

Well if you think Paling Spur needs a brush cut then please ring Parks Vicco and express your concern.Hopefully they will take on user criticism.And ask them for the expected date that they will get things rolling?

Team Bears can see it’s a little bushy....and we know somebody official or otherwise has done significant work on the upper section.

There has certainly been significant interest out there of late.
    Team Bears see the route as a useful one that should be maintained....we would like to see Parks organizing the brush cutting venture.

We contributed a little....but the official land manager needs to organise things ......